Communes Britannica - history of post war UK communal living

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Aug 30 19:14:03 BST 2014

[]

Communes Britannica
Chris Coates
520pp paperback, b&w illus;
<http://blog.utopia-britannica.org.uk/>Diggers and Dreamers Publications
Communes don’t last they say. They’re associated
with good-for-nothing idealists or sex and drug crazed maniacs!
http://blog.utopia-britannica.org.uk
This myth-busting tour by a veteran takes you
from war-time pacifist land groups right through
to hippie communes showing that communal living
actually provided a viable way of life for
thousands in the latter half of the 20th century.

For someone who participated in the 60's and
70's. A remarkably coherent story of the many
incoherent threads. No rose-tinted specs.
Fascinating earlier history from just before the
war too - I always wondered who the Bruderhof
were. Don't wait to borrow it from a friend....
http://www.edgeoftime.co.uk/eotorder.php?c=d

Squatting in Billionaires Row

http://blog.utopia-britannica.org.uk/608
Posted on
<http://blog.utopia-britannica.org.uk/608>February
14, 2014 by
<http://blog.utopia-britannica.org.uk/author/chris-coates>chris-coates
rent free folk

A couple of weeks ago the Guardian ran a story
with the headline  –
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/31/inside-london-billionaires-row-derelict-mansions-hampstead>Inside
‘Billionaires Row’: London’s rotting, derelict
mansions worth £350m – about the large number of
huge empty mansions being left to rot while there
is a housing crisis in the capital. It was
accompanied by
<http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2014/jan/31/billionaires-row-inside-derelict-mansions-hampstead-london-video>video
footage and photos
by<http://www.graemephotographer.com/>Graeme
Robertson  of the decaying  properties.

One particular photo caught my eye of overgrown
and decaying tennis courts at a property known as
The Towers which whisked me back to 1975 when
Bishops Avenue was still only called
‘Millionaires Row’ and a tale of squatting in London’s most exclusive address.

It was Corinna Seeds, who ran the prison theatre
company,<http://www.unfinishedhistories.com/history/companies/stirabout-theatre-company-and-gallery/>Stirabout,
who first ‘discovered’ the big house set in acres
of gardens in Bishops Avenue. As far as we could
find out the house had been empty since
the1920’s, something to do with an American
heiress who had died and left the house in
legal-limbo-land. Undercover of night we moved
in, changed the locks and pasted the squatters
occupation notice on the door. Half an hour later
a blue flashing light approached along the
driveway – it sped right past us and further
along the drive to a cottage where a caretaker,
who had been kept on by the estate,(For 50
years?!) had fallen down the stairs and broken
his leg coming to investigate the strange lights
in the big house. Next morning the local police
inspector turned up, accompanied by the caretaker
with his leg in plaster, we exchanged legal
pleasantries and they went away. Later in the day
the inspector returned on his own.Turned out his
daughter was squatting in Streatham and he was
remarkably sympathetic – for a police officer –
he told us that the estate would get us out
one-way or another, probably by declaring the
house unfit, or a fire hazard. However he had
just raided three houses further up the road and
busted members of the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_International>Children
of God sect for a rental TV scam they had been
running. As far as he knew the houses were empty
and we would be alright there. “Should he catch
us breaking and entering of course he would have
no option

” after a month camping in the
mansion, with no electric, gas or heating, – very
romantic, but bloody cold – we decided that he
was right and moved to ‘Kingsdene’ the smallest
of the three properties on the corner of
Hampstead Lane and Bishops Avenue, opposite
Kenwood House, which were actually owned by a
property developer supporter of the Children of God who had gone bust.

The Hampstead Lane squat turned out to be the
most stable address some of us had in London, it
lasted over 18 months. Because the houses were
owned by a bankrupt developer they were in the
hands of the ‘official receiver’ with whom we
came to an arrangement – if we paid the rates and
didn’t trash the place he wouldn’t hassle us
until the whole bankruptcy thing was sorted and
he had a new buyer for the houses. When we first
moved in the well-to-do neighbours had assumed
that we must be rock stars and were subsequently
shocked to discover a bunch of squatters had
moved into one of London’s most exclusive
addresses – a story broken to the country by the
ITV national news who doorstepped us early one
morning with a full camera crew and reporter.
Needless to say we didn’t look our best at 8am on
a monday morning. Having been outed by the press
we decided to go on a bit of a charm offensive.
We tried to get some more positive press coverage
in Time Out and on Radio London. We gave
ourselves a name – ‘The Golden Spiral Community’
and invited the locals round to talk to us....