A generation betrayed: Shocking figures on youth homelessness

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Dec 1 19:44:49 GMT 2014

Cameron increases UK destitution by 700% | Ally Fogg
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/01/poverty-deadly-evidence-austerity-britain
Poverty is at its most deadly when it becomes normal
Shocking evidence of the effects of austerity in
Britain is being met with a silence that suggests a dangerous indifference
When is poverty at its most dangerous? It is not,
as you might think, when we begin to notice the
frequency with which we step over rough sleepers
on our way to the shops. It is not when we hear
of children going to school hungry. It is not
even when people begin to die from hunger, from
cold or in desperation, at their own hands.
On the contrary, poverty is at its most deadly
when we no longer notice, we no longer care, we
no longer even question it. This is the point at
which poverty ceases to be a temporary crisis, a
challenge to overcome or a tragedy to be mourned,
and becomes a permanent state of affairs,
embedded into the very systems and structures of
our society, not an obscenity, but normality. It
is a grim hypothesis, but I would suggest this is
a point we have already passed.
Allow me to summarise a few of the stories that
have passed under the radar in the UK over the
past week or so. In Nottingham, a food bank has
closed its doors – not through lack of demand,
but because it alleges that the city council was
referring desperate and vulnerable people to its
service as a first port of call, thereby allowing
the council to deny residents statutory hardship
payments and other services. The news came a few
days after a report into food banks was published
by a consortium of charities, including Child
Poverty Action Group, Trussell Trust and Oxfam,
which found that the number of people accessing
three days’ worth of emergency provisions had
risen from 128,000 in 2011-12 to 913,000 in 2013-14.............

A missed opportunity to prevent youth homelessness

<http://www.homeless.org.uk/about-us/our-people/marketing-communications/stephen-holland>Stephen
Holland - Wednesday, 19 November 2014 - 12:00am
http://www.homeless.org.uk/connect/news/2014/nov/19/missed-opportunity-to-prevent-youth-homelessness

Homeless Link calls for more action to address
the high number of under 25s becoming homeless.

Research published today by Homeless Link shows:
    * 52% of those seeking help with homelessness are under 25.
    * Councils are preventing homelessness
amongst young people in just 19% of cases.
    * Half of those living in homelessness
services are under 25, at an average cost of at least £3,876 per case.

Young and Homeless 2014 shows that more than half
of those who approached councils and charity
services for help in August 2014 were under 25.
This suggests the scale of youth homelessness is
higher than reflected in official figures:
    * Government figures record formal
applications to councils. Homeless Link’s
research takes into account those going directly
to councils and homelessness services for help.

Experience of homelessness at a young age is
proven to increase the risk of becoming homeless
again and developing complex problems in later
life. The report suggests work to prevent young
people losing their home is simply not good enough in many areas:
    * The range of prevention methods used by
some local authorities has improved. For example,
92% now carry out home visits which can help
identify risks at an earlier stage.
    * However, 40% of councils believe they do
not have the tools they need to prevent youth
homelessness, and homelessness was not prevented
by councils in 8 in 10 cases where young people approached them for help.

6 in 10 young people become homeless due to
family or friends no longer being able
accommodate them, with relationship breakdown the
most common cause. Family mediation can be
effective in supporting young people to stay at
home, yet nearly a quarter of councils still do not offer this service.

Remaining at home is not suitable for some young
people, such as those at risk of abuse or
violence, and the report also highlights the need
for alternative housing options for this group,
such as nightstops or emergency supported
accommodation. The research suggests a shortage
of suitable accommodation is forcing local
authorities to use other, unsuitable options with
94% saying they have placed young people in bed & breakfasts.

The report calls for mediation, advice and
support services to be available in every local
authority area to families and young people at
risk of homelessness. Schools and other agencies
working with young people should also play a part
in preventing homelessness through education, as
well as early identification and appropriate referral of those at risk.

Commenting on the report,
<http://www.homeless.org.uk/about-us/our-people/ceo-senior-managers/rick-henderson>Rick
Henderson, Chief Executive of Homeless Link, said:

“This report shows that far too many young people
are being affected by homelessness and that
councils and charities across England are
struggling to respond. We know that a focus on
prevention works, yet many areas are missing an
opportunity to tackle the issue before it develops.

“Too many young people are being denied the
opportunities to realise their potential that
most take for granted. We know that local
authorities are under incredible financial
pressure, but intervening early saves lives and
money. We’re calling on all local areas to ensure
young people and families are given the support
they need to prevent homelessness and the
development of issues that can be difficult to overcome.”

Other issues of concern highlighted by the research:
    * Welfare reform leading to more
homelessness: The survey of over 200 charity and
council homeless agencies has uncovered signs
that the increased use of benefit sanctions could
be adding to homeless numbers. Charities report
that homelessness caused by financial problems
due to benefit reductions has increased six fold
(from 1.7% of cases in 2013 to 10% in 2014). Over
90% of providers report that benefit sanctions
have affected the ability of young people to access accommodation.
    * Young people facing more complex problems:
58% of under 25s seeking help from councils and
charities with homelessness have one or more
other problem such as mental health, learning
disability, substance misuse or offending
behaviour. Half of agencies believe problems
faced by young people have got worse. The range
of complex problems faced by young people
underline the need for effective support to help
them leave homelessness behind. Nearly six in 10
(57%) of those seeking help are not in education,
employment or training.  Around a quarter report
mental health or substance misuse problems. 13%
of those seeking help were young offenders and 11% were care leavers.
    * More young people sleeping rough: Charities
report that 19% of young people have ever slept
rough before they found support and that this
issue has increased in the last year. There are
also signs that some young people are sleeping
rough for longer. Homeless Link believes that a
lack of suitable emergency accommodation may be
contributing to the issue.  Over half of councils
do not have youth specific accommodation, such as
night stops or crash pads. Only 6% of councils
reported never using inappropriate Bed and
Breakfast accommodation to house young people.
    * More people needing help than getting it:
More homeless charities report increasing the
support they provide to young people. Despite
this 74% of charities report having to turn young
people away. The most common reasons were either
because the individual’s needs were too high or
because the service did not have enough capacity
to help. With signs that the overall needs of the
homeless population are becoming more complex,
these findings underline the need to sustain investment in services.

The National Youth Reference Group – made up of
young people with experience of homelessness –
has worked with Homeless Link to develop a number
of recommendations for how the support available
to young people at risk of homelessness can be improved, including:
    * A positive pathway model to be implemented
in all areas, with clear protocols for integrated working.
    * Schools and other types of youth provision
to increase education on homelessness, focusing
on the realities and how to find support.
    * Investment in timeout projects and suitable
emergency accommodation to allow young people and
their parents respite before relationships reach crisis point.
    * An improvement in the benefit sanctions
process and consideration given to the impact any
future welfare reforms will have on homeless young people.
    * The expertise of young people who have
experienced homelessness to be utilised wherever
possible; e.g. within mediation services, as part
of peer mentoring schemes, and through paid and
voluntary work within the sector.
    * Government to support local authorities to
improve data recording and monitoring in order to
help ascertain the scale of youth homelessness,
monitor trends and observe the impact of prevention work.

Young and homeless 2014

http://www.homeless.org.uk/connect/news/2014/nov/19/missed-opportunity-to-prevent-youth-homelessness

Our third annual Young & Homeless report explores
the reasons young people become homeless, the
support available to them, and areas that need to be improved.

Downloads

    *
<http://www.homeless.org.uk/sites/default/files/site-attachments/201411%20Young%20and%20Homeless%20Executive%20Summary.pdf>201411
Young and Homeless Executive Summary.pdf | 952K
    *
<http://www.homeless.org.uk/sites/default/files/site-attachments/201411%20-%20Young%20and%20Homeless%20-%20Full%20Report.pdf>201411
- Young and Homeless - Full Report.pdf | 11410K
- See more at:
http://www.homeless.org.uk/connect/news/2014/nov/19/missed-opportunity-to-prevent-youth-homelessness#sthash.2mvDDSY2.dpuf