Crown Prosecutors reverse decision - drop case against men caught taking food from bins

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Jan 30 00:54:19 GMT 2014

Prosecutors drop case against men caught taking food from Iceland bins
CPS reverses decision to charge three men after
outcry, saying it no longer believes prosecution is in public interest

Amelia Gentleman - The Guardian, Wednesday 29 January 2014 22.30 GMT
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/29/prosecutors-drop-case-men-food-iceland-bins

Paul May, one of three men caught taking cheese,
tomatoes, mushrooms and Mr Kipling cakes from
bins outside Iceland. Photograph: Martin Godwin
Three men caught taking discarded food from bins
outside an Iceland store will not now be
prosecuted after an explosion of criticism over
the decision to bring charges against them,
including from the company's chief executive.

The Crown Prosecution Service said it would drop
its case despite having previously said there was
"significant public interest" in prosecuting the
men. They were caught last year taking tomatoes,
mushrooms, cheese and Mr Kipling cakes from the
dustbins behind a branch of the high-street retailer.

Baljit Ubhey, the chief crown prosecutor for the
CPS in London, said: "This case has been reviewed
by a senior lawyer and it has been decided that a
prosecution is not required in the public interest."

The Guardian revealed on Tuesday that Paul May,
Jason Chan and William James had been charged
under the 1824 Vagrancy Act, after being
discovered in "an enclosed area, namely Iceland,
for an unlawful purpose, namely stealing food".

On Wednesday, Malcolm Walker, the chief executive
of Iceland, contacted the CPS to request that the
case be dropped, stating that the company had not sought a prosecution.

The retailer took rapid steps to distance itself
from the case, attempting to offset a damaging
public relations storm as news of the prosecution
triggered widespread criticism. Several online
petitions were launched, calling on the CPS to
reconsider its decision to prosecute.

Paul May, Jason Chan and William James, all
residents of a squat in north London, were
arrested on 25 October, just before midnight,
after a member of the public called the police to
report three men scaling a wall at the back of
Iceland in Kentish Town. Police arrested the men
as they left the area with a holdall and trolley
containing food. The total value of the items
taken from the bins allegedly amounted to £33.

May, 35, a freelance web designer, said he was
relieved the case had been dropped. He said it
was a ridiculous charge, and "crazy" to think
that prosecution was in the public interest.

He said he had taken the food because he needed
it to eat, and did not consider that he had done
anything illegal or dishonest in removing food
destined for landfill from a skip.

"Did we have dishonest intent when we jumped into
the yard at Iceland to retrieve what was in the
bins? No, we didn't," he said. "A dishonest
action would be wandering into a store and
filling your pockets with what is on the shelves. We didn't do that."

May said he was not ashamed of recovering binned
food, to share, cook and eat with his housemates.

"It doesn't feel like we are doing something
criminal. We are taking food that they have
thrown away so it can be eaten by people who
appreciate it. I think it is more morally
questionable that they are throwing away that
much usable food than that people are diving in
and recovering it. In some ways I am proud of what we do."

Walker said his initial reaction to news of the
prosecution had been "one of total bemusement".
Writing in the Guardian, he said: "Our store had
not called the police, let alone asked for those
concerned to be prosecuted. Waste food in our
bins that cannot be sold is clearly of minimal value to us."

He added: "We acted as soon as we could to ask
the police and CPS to drop the case."

The case has prompted new focus on the phenomenon
of "skipping" – taking discarded supermarket
waste to cook and eat – and reopened the debate
over how much supermarket food is still discarded.

But although some supermarkets here are beginning
to offer their unused stock to food banks, May
says the quantity still found discarded in bins
suggests there is much more that could be used constructively.

Explaining the decision to drop the case, Ubhey
said: "In reconsidering this case, we have had
particular regard to the seriousness of the
alleged offence and the level of harm done. Both
of these factors weigh against a prosecution.
Additionally, further representations received
today from Iceland Foods have affected our
assessment of the public interest in prosecuting."

"We hope this demonstrates our willingness to
review decisions and take appropriate and swift
action when necessary. The Crown Prosecution
Service is committed to bringing the right
charges to court when – and only when – it is proper to do so."

The case was launched as attitudes towards
excessive supermarket waste begin to harden. In
the US, entrepreneurs are working on new models for recycling unsold produce.

May, who has regularly taken food from skips,
argued that he has the right to take food which
is being thrown away. "More and more people are
using food banks than ever before but
supermarkets are throwing away huge amounts of
food, which will end up in landfill," he said.
"If supermarkets were giving as much as they
could away, then their bins would be empty, or
full of cardboard boxes and broken yoghurt pots –
but they're not. You'd be amazed at what you find."

He and other residents at the squat regularly
find large quantities of frozen chicken breasts.
Last week they had quail. Most of the food May
collects when he goes skipping has crossed the
marked sell-by date, but is still edible.

The residents of the squat have a kitty where
people contribute to basic necessities like
teabags and milk, but the bulk of what residents
eat comes from skips, May said.

May says he is squatting because he cannot afford
to rent in London, and the alternative would be
to move out of the city, making it hard to see
his six-year-old son. Removing food from skips
allows him to eat more healthily than he would if
he was buying food on a low income, he claims.
"If I relied on the little I have every day, I would eat very badly."