Somerset levels - monks that dug them knew undredged rivers do not drain

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri Jan 31 00:54:48 GMT 2014

Shame on George for appalling drivel in the G -
Tory party defensive action yes, but that's not what the Guardian is for
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/30/dredging-rivers-floods-somerset-levels-david-cameron-farmers

see also this excellent fb group set up by the
locals on which I've been a-posting
https://www.facebook.com/groups/FLAGSomerset/

Somerset floods: this is a man-made disaster

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/10607011/Somerset-floods-this-is-a-man-made-disaster.html

Somerset apple farmer Julian Temperley is one of
the thousands whose homes and livelihoods have been damaged by the deluge

Somerset floods: this is a man-made disaster

Submerged: Julian Temperley at his flooded family home Photo: Jay Williams
By <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/anna-tyzack/>Anna Tyzack
12:43PM GMT 30 Jan 2014
Floods here on the Somerset Levels are normally
really good fun. The sun comes out and we go
sailing over our fields and my eldest daughter
Alice [Temperley, the designer] will take some
pictures of a girl in a canoe wearing one of her
dresses. We happen to run our business,
<http://www.ciderbrandy.co.uk/>The Somerset Cider
Brandy company, in a part of Somerset that is low
lying, so we’re prepared for flooding. The water
arrives, then quickly disappears and no damage is
done because we have systems in place to control
it. But there is nothing fun about this current
flood, which came on New Year’s Day and has stuck around ever since.

The Environment Agency has been widely reported
as saying it’s a freak occurrence. Not a chance.
This is a man-made ecological disaster. The River
Parrett, which runs through the Levels, is
blocked and badly needs dredging. I’m not sure
people realise that this is not just a theory
being discussed in the papers, it’s a fact. It’s
what is actually happening. The river at
Bridgwater is 10ft below its banks, while five
miles upstream it is overflowing.

If I don’t dig out the ditches on my land all
hell breaks loose. I lose my single farm payment
and receive a fine. But the Environment Agency
won’t dig out its blasted river and so my ditches
have nowhere to drain. As a result we have 50
acres of land under six feet of water – it would
take more than 30 years for it to evaporate
naturally. Thankfully I’ve managed to salvage
most of the cider and cider brandy in our barns
but I’ve lost some of my orchards and in Thorney
House, our family home where my 98-year-old
father lives, the flood water comes half way up
my wellies. A few weeks ago it was covering the
furniture. My father, who is deeply upset about
the situation, is staying with my aunt in
Worcestershire while we rent him a house. It’s a
big upheaval for a man of his age.

Of course it’s not just my family that has been
affected. About 20,000 acres of farmland in
Somerset have been underwater for a month now.
I’m sure you’ve seen the pictures. The ancient
village of Muchelney is totally cut off; you can
only get there by boat, and Thorney, where my
father lives, has been evacuated. The reality is
horrific: tractors and cars have been submerged;
animals drowned, and the locals are in despair.

An oak furniture maker near Bridgwater has lost
more than £1million of furniture, while the
potter John Leach, 75, whose grandfather Bernard
Leach established Muchelney Pottery, a family
dynasty, has had to lay off his five employees;
unless they were prepared to swim, there was no
way they could get to their workshops. He’s in a
deep depression and I think we’d lose him from
the area altogether if he could sell his house.
But of course it’s filled with water, so that’s not going to happen.

So why hasn’t the Environment Agency dredged the
river? It used to be done every five years; even
more than that in the areas where silt builds up
more quickly. But for the past 20 years the
Environment Agency has refused to dredge – a
process that would have cost them about £4million
– arguing that it is anti-environmental and
causes as many problems as it solves (which
defies common sense). Instead, £31million has
been spent on creating a spurious wildlife
reserve to protect the beetles in the river banks
which, by the way, are very close relations of
cockroaches. To think national treasures such as
Leach are considered of less importance than some dubious beetles!

This reluctance to dredge is about as ridiculous
as me telling MPs in London to take down the
Thames Barrier, pull down the Embankment, and let
the Thames flood Soho as it pleases. The Somerset
Levels, just like London, are a man-made
environment; the River Parrett was not put where
it is by God but by man. Taunton and Yeovil are
two of the fastest-growing towns in England and
they’re putting more pressure than ever on the
Parrett, a slow flowing, naturally silty river.
My great-great-great-grandfather used to bring
coal barges up it from Wales; you couldn’t do
that trip in a canoe, now – the bottom of the river is so high with silt

We need to dredge 15 miles from the mouth of the
river up to Thorney, as has been done in some
shape or form for the past 500 years to safeguard
communities from this kind of flooding. Not even
the Second World War got in the way of it – we put Italian POWs on the job.

When the Somerset Levels flooded last year – and
water poured in to my father’s house for the
first time since 1926 – the Government declared
it a once-in-a-lifetime event. Now it’s happened
again, they’ve conceded that “some dredging might
be done” but only after they’ve carried out
studies. This week the chair of the Environment
Agency Lord Smith told BBC Radio 4’s
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qj9z>Today
programme: “Dredging would probably make a small
difference, but it’s not the comprehensive answer
that some people claim.” The fact they think they
need to research the situation shows how stupid
they are. River dredging happens all over the
world all the time. If they need someone to tell
them whether water flows up hill or down hill,
they should ask a local farmer or call in the
army to sort out the situation – that’s what
happened in the foot-and-mouth crisis of 2001.

We’re going to be flooded here in Somerset for at
least another five weeks. The longer the water
lingers over the Levels, the greater the
ecological disaster. If the weather was 10
degrees colder, the flora and fauna beneath it
would be protected but as it is the grass and
trees are dying and everything is starting to smell.

There’s also the economic damage to consider. In
both the villages of Thorney and Muchelney
there’s at least £1million damage, and about
£50million across the whole area. Once Thorney
House has dried – which will take weeks – it will
need to be cleaned, replastered, rewired and
replumbed, every appliance replaced and the
furniture repaired. Last year we also had to
replace all the old wooden floors with tiles; the
whole job cost £70,000. This year the damage is
three times as bad and the insurance companies,
most of which were so accommodating last year,
aren’t going to take kindly to renewing our policies now.

Over the past couple of weeks I’ve started
receiving emails from my neighbours asking when
the church services take place in Muchelney.
They’re all going to church now; they think God’s
got something to do with all this water. But this
is quite clearly a man-made problem. Yes, it’s
been wet but we are, after all, in the middle of
winter. There has been no cloudburst or crazy
storm. The only thing God can be blamed for is
not giving the Environment Agency any brains.