Somerset levels - monks that dug them knew undredged rivers do not drain

Simon Fairlie chapter7 at tlio.org.uk
Fri Jan 31 02:25:09 GMT 2014

Whilst I agree with Julian that dredging is necessary, and the
Parrett River Strategy of keeping water upstream is  misfiring,
George's piece isn't total drivel.

There are two substances coming down the Parrett — one is excess
water and the other is silt. Any water that isn't wanted, either in
the upper catchment or downstream, obviously needs to get down to the
sea as smoothly as possible— but the silt is eroded soil and wants
to stay on the land.

I lived for 15 years in the Parrett catchment area, and  know of
several  badly managed arable fields  where every time it rains a
river of brown mud runs down the road into the Parrett. This is
presumably what is blocking up the rivers and drains downstream.
George is right that these farmers need to improve their husbandry
and plant more hedgerows,  though  the reason is to  prevent soil
erosion, not to contain water that they don't need.

As Julian says, there has always been dredging, but this is the third
best option for preventing waterways silting up. The first option is
good husbandry (and organic farming is the best incentive for
conserving soil). The second is controlled flooding of water meadows,
which are then grazed by sheep that move deposited fertility back
upstream. Any silt that escapes these measures needs to be dredged
and put back on the land. And if there still isn't enough waterway to
get rid of increased  rainfall, then its a simple matter to build a
few more drains. If they could do it in the 17th century , then so
can we..

Simon F