George Monbiot on Tory Enclosure: Public Land & Rights of Way under threat

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Jun 24 19:57:10 BST 2014

Beware the small print that threatens all public land

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/small-print-public-land-infrastructure-bill-lords-uk

As the infrastructure bill in the Lords shows, we
seem to measure progress only by how much of the UK we can concrete over
    *
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/http://www.theguardian.com/profile/georgemonbiot>George
Monbiot -
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian>The
Guardian, Monday 23 June 2014 18.45 BST
Planning laws inhibit prosperity. That's what
we're told by almost everyone. Those long and
tortuous negotiations over what should be built
where are a brake on progress. All the major
parties and most of the media believe that we
would be better off with less regulation, less
discussion and more speed. Try telling that to the people of Spain and Ireland.

Town planning in those countries amounts to
shaking a giant dustbin over the land. Houses are
littered randomly across landscapes of tremendous
beauty, and are so disaggregated that they're
almost impossible to provide with public
services. The result, of course, is a great
advance in human welfare. Oh, wait a moment. No,
it's economic collapse followed by mass
unemployment. Spain and Ireland removed the
brakes on progress and the car rolled over a
precipice. Their barely regulated planning
systems permitted the creation of property
bubbles that trashed the economy along with the land.

Needless to say, we have learned nothing from
this. Our lords and masters still whip the
buttocks of the Gaderene swine. When the
infrastructure bill was discussed in the House of
Lords last week, our unelected legislators rained
curses upon peace and quiet,
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201415/ldhansrd/text/140618-0001.htm#14061871000194>beauty
and stillness.

Lord Adonis, a Labour peer, complained that "for
the first time in 350 years, Britain will no
longer have the world's largest port or airport.
That accolade will pass, symbolically, to Dubai".
The shame of it – to have some upstart petro-city
making more noise and pollution than we do. For
the government, Baroness Kramer boasted that "we
are making the biggest investment in roads since
the 1970s". The Conservative peer Lord Jenkin, in
discussing the new freedoms for frackers the
government proposes, celebrated what he called a
"drill, baby, drill bill". All this, we are
assured, will enhance the life of the nation.

Since the 1980s, the Department for Transport has
consistently forecast traffic growth
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/http://www.bettertransport.org.uk/blogs/roads/170412-phil-goodwin-ltt>along
a steep trajectory. But the distance covered by
car drivers in England is now
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/http://www.bettertransport.org.uk/media/30-07-2013-nts-2012>7%
lower than it was in 1997. The total volume of
traffic has flatlined since 2002, nixing every
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/http://www.bettertransport.org.uk/blogs/roads/170412-phil-goodwin-ltt>prediction
the department has made. Last year, 32 transport
professors wrote to the secretary of state
pointing out that, in the absence of traffic
growth,
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/http://www.tps.org.uk/files/Main/news/pr/Open%20letter%20to%20SoS.pdf>"the
basis for major infrastructure spending decisions appears to be changing".

The only thing likely to induce more traffic
growth, they argued, is building more trunk
roads, and that would put intolerable pressure on
the city streets into which they feed. The facts
might have changed, but the policy remains the
same. The department continues to make the same
failed forecasts, using the same failed model.
The desire to build – and to appease the
construction industry and motoring lobby – comes
first, and the forecasts are made to fit.

So is the planning system. The government's draft
national policy statement for major roads weakens
the protection of wildlife,
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/263720/consultation-document-draft-national-policy-statement.pdf>ancient
woodlands and treasured landscapes. It forbids
any consideration of climate change during
planning inquiries: motorways will officially
produce no more carbon dioxide than cycle paths.

Not a word of this was heard in the chamber last
Wednesday. No one questioned the need for the
road-building programme of which the government
boasted. The peers, an unlikely club of boy
racers, stood only to demand that we should go
further and faster, on a journey without purpose or destination.

If they have their way, we will become the proud
recipients of a new network of roads to nowhere.
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/17/in-tempo-apartment-building-spain>Like
Benidorm's In Tempo towers, the tallest
residential buildings in Europe, they will be
commissioned in a convulsion of optimism and
greed, before becoming monuments to bad debt and
human folly. "Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
".

But this is by no means the worst of it. Buried
in a schedule at the bottom of this bill is the
kind of clause that was once inserted to relieve
tribal leaders of their lands for a rifle and a
bolt of cloth. The kind of obscure, innocuous
wording from which, in those days, the entire
grandiloquent flummery of the proceeding pages
was designed to distract. In schedule 3 there are
a couple of lines, noticed by some campaigners
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/infrastructure-bill-allows-ministers-to-sell-off-public-land>but
not by the press, which could, if they have been
interpreted correctly, license the government to
sell off any public land it chooses, while
cancelling, without process or debate, public access and use.

This is what it says: "The property, rights and
liabilities that may be transferred by a scheme
include: property, rights and liabilities that
would not otherwise be capable of being
transferred or assigned." This refers to the
transfer of public land to the government's Homes
and Communities Agency. The HCA can then sell
this land to private developers. In transferring
it, the government will have new powers to
extinguish easements (rights of use), public
rights of way and the protections afforded to
consecrated ground.
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2014-2015/0002/15002.pdf>These
transfers "are to take effect irrespective of any
requirement to obtain a person's consent or
concurrence, any liability in respect of a
contravention of another requirement, or any
interference with an interest or right, which would otherwise apply".

The news site Schnews reveals that during the
great battle over the coalition's attempt to sell
off the public forest estate, which resulted in
the
government's<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/http://www.theguardian.com/environment/england-forest-sell-off>first
major U-turn, one of the campaigners received
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/http://www.schnews.org.uk/stories/SEEING-INFRA-RED/>an
anonymous call from a civil servant. "The forests
are just the start," he warned. "They are
absolutely determined to sell every scrap of
public land – beaches, parks, the lot."

Is that what this is? I don't know. During the
Lords debate, Baroness Kramer insisted that this
measure applies only to "surplus land" and
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201415/ldhansrd/text/140618-0001.htm#14061871000194>"applies
only to private rights and not to those that are
public". Just one problem: there are no such
safeguards in the bill. The word "surplus" does
not occur anywhere, and the bill creates specific
powers "to extinguish public rights of way". Yes,
public – not private. Had Kramer read the bill
she moved? Or was she making it up as she went
along? In either case, until this is either
clarified or struck out, the forests for which we
fought so hard and, perhaps, all other state-owned land could be at risk.

But who needs all that, when you have the world's
biggest airport to boast of, and the biggest
investment in pointless roads since the 1970s and
a "drill, baby, drill bill"? What else would
anyone who loved this country wish for?

Twitter:
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot>@georgemonbiot.
A fully referenced version of this article can be
found at
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/http://www.monbiot.com/>Monbiot.com