1954, Guatemala, land reform, CIA & the United Fruit Company

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Jun 28 19:26:10 BST 2014

Arbenz and Guatemala land reform

1954, Guatemala - CIA & the United Fruit Company, Jacobo Arbenz

Jacobo Arbenz, President of Guatemala, committed
two sins in the eyes of the Eisenhower
administration. First, when he opened the system
to all political parties he recognized the Communists too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbd5CTQCXto
Arbenz also embarked on a massive land reform
program. Less than 3 per cent of the land owners
held more than 70 per cent of the land. So Arbenz
nationalized more than 1 ½ million acres,
including land owned by his own family and turned
it over to peasants. Much of that land belonged
to the United Fruit Company, the giant American
firm that was intent on keeping Guatemala, quite
literally, a banana republic. United Fruit
appealed to its close friends in Washington,
including the Dulles brothers, who said that
Arbenz was openly playing the Communist game. He had to go.
The National Security Act of 47 gave us the
National Security Council. Never have we had a
National Security Council so concerned about the
nations security that were always looking for
threats and looking how to orchestrate our
society to oppose those threats. National
Security was invented, almost, in 1947, and now
it has become the prime mover of everything we do
as measured against something we invented in
1947." -- U.S. Navy Admiral Gene La Rocque in PBS
Documentary "The Secret Government"