Political rights of citizens, constitution making, Scots independence

mm at iniref.org mm at iniref.org
Mon Jun 30 15:26:44 BST 2014

COMMENT to The Scotsman newspaper, 30th June 2014
Beg to report legal, constitutional flaws
<http://www.scotsman.com/news/beg-to-report-legal-constitutional-flaws-1-3460546>

M. Sheridan writes, "the constitution specifies that, in Scotland, the
people are sovereign. However, there is no mechanism for people in
Scotland to exercise sovereignty and it is clear from other terms that
sovereignty lies with the Scottish Parliament."
Hoots comments 2:00 AM on 30/06/2014
"If the people of an independent Scotland were actually going to be
sovereign, we would need some mechanism for triggering referenda, like
they have in Switzerland"

Because of our special interest in citizens' political rights (also
known as "sovereignty") we have cast an eye on the relevant sections in
numerous constitutions of state. It's clear that we citizens must take
great care to avoid being tricked out of our rights.

There is a very good case for the opinion that, as citizens of the UK,
we already have the rights to instigate referendum in addition to
electing politicians. Several decades ago Parliament ratified an
international convention (civil and political rights) which appears to
guarantee these rights (1). However, politicians and their backers are
opposed to stronger citizens' democracy, so the means to "trigger"
referendum has been denied to us.

I will rapidly give two example. The first shows "HOW NOT" to guarantee
citizens' sovereignty, the second show how to do this properly and
effectively.

One of the most "advanced" constitutions (Basic Law) is that of post
WWII Germany. Article 20 reads, "All power in the state arises from the
people. This power shall be applied in elections and referenda". The
federal parliament has made laws to regulate the conduct of elections to
parliament. BUT successive governments, during more than 60 years, have
avoided or failed to provide a legal framework for the citizens'
referendum. The message for supporters of strong democracy: Make sure
that the right to make public proposals and to instigate referendum is
clearly laid down in the constitution of state, in such away that these
rights can readily be used ("user friendly rules" are essential).

The second case shows how a constitution CAN guarantee practical
citizens' rights to direct democracy (also to representative, indirect
democracy). This is the constitution of Switzerland. Here, there is a
guarantee similar to the international convention mentioned above (1)
AND in addition the methods of democracy are spelled out and can be used
without further acts or interference by politicians. These are
fundamental rights which can be changed only by the PEOPLE themselves in
a referendum. The section about citizens' POLITICAL RIGHTS reads as follows:
Art. 136 Political Rights
2  Citizens (using direct democracy) can both instigate and endorse
(sign) citizens' initiatives (law proposals) and (legally binding)
referendum ballots. Citizens can take part in elections of Members of
Parliament.
Chapter: Initiative and Referendum
Art. 138 Citizens' Initiative for change to constitution
A hundred thousand citizens can instigate a binding referendum by
endorsing an initiative-proposal within 18 months of its publication.
Art. 141 Veto Referendum
Fifty thousand citizens (within a defined time period) can demand that a
government law or proposal must be put before the whole electorate for
decision in a ballot.

We plan to publish a guide to direct democracy, sovereignty and
constitution at the web site iniref dot org, section "latest". We are
pleased to answer queries via info at iniref.org

Regards,
Michael Macpherson (Dr.)

1. International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. Adopted by the
General Assembly of the United Nations on 19 December 1966 (Article 25)

forwarded by:
Campaign for direct democracy in Britain
Citizens' Initiative and Referendum I&R ~ GB
http://www.iniref.org/