'New Land League' aims to turn back tide of family evictions

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat May 17 00:50:30 BST 2014

'New Land League' aims to turn back tide of family evictions

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/new-land-league-aims-to-turn-back-tide-of-family-evictions-30205725.html
ALLISON BRAY – PUBLISHED 22 APRIL 2014 02:30 AM

HUNDREDS of people have met to form a protest
organisation aimed at preventing the evictions of residents from their homes.

About 350 members of a group called the 'New Land
League' arrived at Tommy Toughers Bar in Nass, Co
Kildare, for its inaugural meeting.
One of their missions is to show up en masse when
a family or other homeowner is being threatened
with eviction through a bank's repossession of their home or other property.
The group has already intervened in the evictions
of families from their homes in Meath and
Kildare, as well as in
<http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Dublin,_Ireland>Dublin
and Galway, where the New Land League's presence
has been enough to stop the eviction from taking place.

PROPERTIES
Organiser Jerry Beades (55), from Drumcondra,
north Dublin, said the New Land League would
intervene and mount peaceful pickets at any
family home that was being repossessed by the banks.
"How many tens of thousands of families are
behind in their mortgage repayments with the banks?" he asked.
"Are they going to evict them all? It's
impossible. We are trying to impress upon them
that is just impossible. They have to come up
with meaningful and realistic solutions," he said.
He said the turnout yesterday was phenomenal. "We
expected a few hundred people but there were 350," he said.
People from as far afield as Donegal, Roscommon,
Galway, Cork and Tipperary, and from all walks of
life, from schoolteachers and gardai to retired
Army officers, attended the meeting, he said.
What they share is a sense of anger over the
financial chaos that they, their neighbours and
family now find themselves in due to the actions
and inactions of Government and financial
institutions since the collapse of the economy, he said.
"A lot of people are in all sorts of destitution
and we aim to be a voice of the people," he said.
The gathering was not a political meeting but a
rallying cry for action by ordinary people, he said.

POLITICIANS
"People are just sick to the teeth of the
existing politicians who don't know what's going
on," he said. "Our aim is to wake people up."