Infrastructure Bill: Firesale of Forests & Public Land

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Nov 5 23:48:28 GMT 2014

'As soon as we raised the alarm, the Government
attempted to put the lid on by confirming forests
weren't included in the land transfer schemes
contained in Clause 21 of the Bill. I invite
anyone to read this section, as the only land
exempt from disposal detailed in the Bill is that owned by the royal family. '

Save Our Forests & Public Land!

http://www.permaculture.co.uk/news/0411145760/save-our-forests-public-land
Hands Off Our Forests
Tuesday, 4th November 2014

The new Infrastructure Bill will allow
development on ANY public land or forest, allow
anywhere to be fracked and will allow the
extermination of barn owls, red kites, wild boar
and goshawks. We must stop this bill becominng law!

DID you know legislation is currently being
pushed through Parliament that will allow any
public land to be transferred by a Government
agency, all rights of way extinguished, to private developers?

Did you know the same law – the Infrastructure
Bill – will allow any substance whatsoever to be
dumped under any land, and that it will become a
legal objective to frack anywhere where there is
the potential of shale gas, or turn any coal seam into gas?

Did you also know that the same law gives the
potential go-ahead to exterminate barn owls, red
kites, goshawks, wild boar, and a great many
other species not deemed as 'native'?

You'd be forgiven for not knowing because
incredibly – despite its massive implications for
nature, the environment and also our rural and
urban spaces – the Infrastructure Bill has almost entirely not made the news.

There are no celebrities crying 'foul' or any
politicians who are supposed to be opposed to the
Government. It's almost as if all parties want
this law to be passed under the radar, because
whoever gets in after May 2015 will have carte
blanche to hand over our countryside, urban
public spaces, and the ground we walk and live on, to multinational companies.

Thankfully people have started raising the alarm
about the TTIP US-EU trade deal and its potential
for the privatisation of everything. These
discussions are being held behind closed doors,
and its only thanks to leaks from German MEPs
that we have an inkling of what's being said.

The Infrastructure Bill, however, has already
been debated in the House of Lords for a total
period of about 10 days, and yet apparently it's
not worth reporting. The Bill in its totality,
and all the proposed amendments, can be read on
the Parliament website. It's there in black and white.

And yet we campaigners in the Forest of Dean only
spotted its existence and content when,
disappointed after draft legislation we'd been
promised aimed at protecting our forests was
jettisoned by the Government in June, we decided
to look into what else the Government might have up its sleeve.

As soon as we raised the alarm, the Government
attempted to put the lid on by confirming forests
weren't included in the land transfer schemes
contained in Clause 21 of the Bill. I invite
anyone to read this section, as the only land
exempt from disposal detailed in the Bill is that owned by the royal family.

We have heard various arguments – forests and
national parks can't be included because they are
not surplus, the only land being considered is
brownfield, and only land held by arms-length
bodies can be included. I'll let anyone read
Clause 21 (and Section 53A of it in particular)
themselves and draw their own conclusions. The
words surplus, brownfield, arms-length or any equivalent do not appear.

There is no exemption whatsoever for any public
land (apart from Crown) contained within the Bill.

An oversight, poorly defined drafting that could
easily be rectified, you'd think. If the
Government says forests aren't at risk of land
transfer schemes, then why not amend the Bill to state that?

But Baroness Royall of Blaisdon, a member of the
Hands Off Our Forest steering group, with the
Bishop of St Albans, have been told by the
Government's Baroness Kramer that their amendment
to exclude the Public Forest Estate "will be resisted".

The Bill is due to be debated in the Reports
Stage in November. After that there will be a
third reading and – if the Government doesn't
back the amendment on forests – there is likely
to be a vote. Hence we at HOOF are urging people
to lobby lords to support Baroness Royall and the
Bishop of St Albans' amendment. See
<http://www.handsoffourforest.org/>www.handsoffourforest.org

The fracking elements also cause us alarm because
our Forest of Dean is a coalfield – coal
gasification (when seams are set fire to and the
gas recovered from a power plant above) is part
of the proposed 'energy mix'; we also have
proposed expansion of nuclear power stations just
across the river (Severn) from us. Back in the
1980s, the Government tried to persuade the local
authority to allow disused mine shafts to dump
radioactive waste. The waste produced from fracking is also partly radioactive.

So there we have it, the Infrastructure Bill –
opening the door wide for any future government
to take any land, override any easements and
rights of way, and give to the Government, with a
wide remit to destroy a wide range of species,
and to frack under any public or private land.
Energy minister Baroness Verma noted in the last
day of the Committee stage in the Lords (October
14) that regarding the consultation about
fracking: "Stakeholder responses from the
petroleum and geothermal industry unanimously
supported the legislation, as did wider industry,
such as manufacturing, the steel industry and
engineering associations... Environmental groups
and various civil society organisations opposed
legislation. Having carefully considered the
various issues raised within the consultation
arguments had been presented, we firmly believe
that the proposed policy is the right approach."

Remember February 2011, when the Government's
Caroline Spelman made great virtue of the fact
that the Government had listened to the public
when she ditched the forests sell-off proposal?
Well the public's views don't seem to be worth
listening to now, not big industry has spoken...

Here in the Forest of Dean, thanks to us
extensively leafletting and using social media,
there is a growing clamour against the
Infrastructure Bill. The media have given us no
help – recent correspondence with one editor said
unless we "hit them between the eyes" it won't
make the paper. Our remit is protecting the
Public Forest Estate, others may want to protect
their local beach, mountain, park, recreation
ground, allotment or remaining green space...

I would have thought everyone should be up in
arms about this. Are you? Will you help us spread the word?

Visit
<http://www.handsoffourforest.org/>www.handsoffourforest.org
to find out which MPs to lobby.

Below are a couple of links which give some background:

<http://www.schnews.org.uk/stories/FRACK-TO-FRONT/>www.schnews.org.uk/stories/FRACK-TO-FRONT/

www.theecologist.org/News/news_analysis/2447901/save_our_public_lands_and_forests.html

<http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2014-2015/0002/lbill_2014-20150002_en_7.htm#sch3>The
Infrastructure Bill

We don't have long to stop this! Affirmative action now, or else...

OWEN ADAMS, HANDS OFF OUR FOREST

Further resources

You can read a free copy of Permaculture magazine
online by clicking
<http://www.exacteditions.com/read/permaculture?sid=356>HERE.
You can subscribe to our digital issue for just
£2.75 ($2.99) a quarter. A digital subscription
also enables you to read and search our back
issues but if you like the lovely paper edition
please see
<http://www.permaculture.co.uk/Subscribe>SUBSCRIBE.
Paper subscribers get our digital services free of charge!

Men, and some women, are down-loading child porn
at the
<http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2011/01/05/pentagon_lagged_on_pursuing_porn_cases/>Pentagon,
The<http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/08/employees>Department
of Homeland Security (DHS),