Campaigners occupy university building to highlight Oxford's housing crisis

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Oct 8 12:11:02 BST 2014

Campaigners occupy university building to highlight Oxford's housing crisis
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/11520198.Campaigners_occupy_university_building_to_highlight_Oxford_s_housing_crisis/
Campaigners unveil a House of the Commons banner on the old power station
Dympna Irwin, left, and Miranda Shaw are among the campaigners
Campaigners' website http://www.houseofthecommons.org
Emacs!

  First published 09:00 Wednesday 8 October 2014  in News

  by Alex Wynick, Reporter covering Blackbird
Leys and Greater Leys. Call me on 01865 425403

  CAMPAIGNERS are squatting in a historic
riverside building to protest against Oxford’s housing crisis.
  The group say they got into the Old Power
Station in Arthur Street through an open window
and are planning to host a series of public
events and lectures to flag up the lack of housing in Oxford.
  But Oxford University, which owns the building
on the Thames opposite Osney Island, has said it
was not empty but was used for storage.
  It says it has contacted the police and sought
legal advice about evicting the protesters.
  Campaign organiser Andy Edwards, 29, who lives
in south-east Oxford, said: “We will be exploring
creative solutions to the housing crisis,
discussing everything from tenants’ rights to affordable housing.
  “These are local people who are frustrated
about the lack of affordable housing in the city.
It’s affecting people in a really acute way.
  “We’re demonstrating that it’s an issue that
should be raised on the political agenda and given more weight.”
  Mr Edwards, a designer, said thegroup would
leave the building on Sunday when the four-day
series of events came to an end.

Related links
Squat needs to spark a wider debate about city housing

  He said there was a group of up to 15 people in
the building at any one time.
  Jericho resident Dympna Irwin, 57, who is
studying an MA in Contemporary Art at Oxford
Brookes University, said: “I live in Jericho,
where 23 per cent of people live below the
poverty line, and then people pay £1,000 a week
for a one-bed flat. It’s the centre of the national dichotomy.”
  Miranda Shaw, 27, a freelance violin teacher
who lives in East Oxford, said: “I’m coming from
a privileged position, in that I’m living in affordable housing.
  “I feel like it’s my duty to be standing up for people who don’t have that.
  “It’s incredibly important these events happen
to highlight the issue and raise awareness.”
Oxford City Council has recently begun offering
people council homes as far away as Birmingham
and Cardiff because of the lack of affordable housing in the city.
  It has said it wanted to build thousands more
homes – particularly south of Grenoble Road.
  But it says it is restricted by the Oxford
Green Belt which it wants to review.
  The number of empty homes in Oxford in
September was 873 of which 251 were empty for six months or more.
  There are currently 3,442 households on Oxford’s housing waiting list.
  City council leader Bob Price said: “The
occupiers are right to highlight the scandal of
Oxford’s exorbitantly high house prices and
private sector rents – the highest in the country
in relation to averge salaries. But it would be a
better use of their time and energies if they
campaigned with the Labour Party for a radical
new approach to housing capital funding through
lifting the housing revenue account cap and
increasing land availability through changes in
the weak planning framework that the coalition has put in place.”
The event, starting on Thursday, will feature
talks by Prof Danny Dorling, of Oxford
University, Emeritus Professor of Geography at
the Open University Doreen Massey and Dawn Foster, deputy features editor of
Inside Housing.
  Prof Dorling said: “Both rents and house prices
are rising much faster than inflation in general.
  “I think it helps greatly if people research, discuss and debate this.”
  Opened in 1891, the Old Power Station was
Oxford’s first electrical power plant.
  It was bought by Oxford University in 1971 and
used as a research laboratory for the Department of Engineering Science.
  It was vacated in 2010.
  University spokesman Matt Pickles said: “The
Old Power Station is not a disused building but
it is used for storage for the university’s
museums and has hosted art exhibitions in recent years.
  “We are in contact with the people occupying
the building and we are working with legal
advisers and police with the intention that the
occupiers leave the building as soon as possible.”
Thames Valley Police spokesman Rhianne Pope said:
“We are liaising with the university and the
protesters in order to facilitate a peaceful protest.
  “We will continue to monitor the situation and
deal with any issues if they arise.”

Emacs!