Vice.com - Meeting Brighton's 'King Of The Squatters'

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Oct 23 22:19:13 BST 2014

Meeting Brighton's 'King Of The Squatters'

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/meet-brightons-king-of-the-squatters-773

By Tom Barlow-Brown, Photos: Milo Belgrove Oct 15 2014
[]

The "King of Squatters" competition is basically
exactly the same thing as the X Factor, only
you're judged on your ability to live in
buildings that don't belong to you rather than
your voice, teeth and capacity to gesticulate to
music. This year was the competition's first,
starting sometime in mid-August and finishing at
the end of September. Essentially a race to see
who could squat the most buildings, the aim was
to highlight how empty commercial property can be used to house rough sleepers.

The race was conceived last year, but Dave Adams
– founder of the competition and self-proclaimed
"King of Squatters" – had a bit of trouble
getting it started. This year, everything fell
into place; groups from Bristol, Cardiff, London,
Brighton and Manchester got together and decided to put the plan into action.

Dave managed to squat seven buildings before the
competition was up, though eventually lost to the
Bristol team. However, defeat hasn't put him off;
he plans to hold the "King of Squatters"
challenge again next year, and for now is
focusing on helping others find a home.

I recently visited Dave at his latest squat, a
comfortable set-up in the centre of Brighton that
used to be an art gallery before it was abandoned.

There was emulsion smeared on the windows to stop
people from peering in, and a section 144 notice
– telling whoever read it that the law against
squatting residential buildings doesn't apply to
commercial property – was stuck to the front
doors. The residents were staying in the basement
because the windows above them could be seen into from the library upstairs.

“I think we spooked a few of the people in the
library when we first moved in”, said Dave.
"Because the windows are blacked out, they
haven’t got a clue about the numbers down here.”

When police or bailiffs turned up, Dave would
tell them that there were 25 people living
inside. “I say half the people are ex-forces,” he
admitted. “They’re more sympathetic when they hear that.”

Despite his nifty tactics, legal action was
looming when I visited, as the council want to
take back possession of the building. Luckily,
Dave had a backup plan – a four-floor office
block close by. He couldn’t tell me exactly
where, but he said there was one person already
there, holding the fort in case someone else
tried to take the building – likely, considering
Brighton has high levels of homelessness, with
demand for affordable homes far exceeding supply.

It's this exact point that the contest is trying
to highlight. According to one council report,
the number of people in the city registering as
homeless on a yearly basis is "higher than both
the national and regional average", and amid
funding cuts to shelters and public services, the
city is floundering in its response.

The sheer number of homeless people in Brighton
is down to several factors. According to a
council spokesperson I talked to, the seaside
city has a “bright lights, big city appeal” that
people often end up falling victim to. "We
attract a lot of people that either don't find a
place or can't afford somewhere to live because
housing is hugely expensive," he said.

It's also a city known for its liberal views, so
many believe residents will be nicer to rough
sleepers than others throughout the UK. And in a
practical sense, it's relatively warm compared to
other British towns and cities. Mind you, it is
still a British city, meaning it's also still
horribly cold for those sleeping on the streets.

On the 3rd of October, Dave and 20 of his
homeless friends held a protest outside Brighton
town hall. They were demanding better care for
the homeless and ended up having a conversation
with the mayor. Chris, a homeless guy who I spoke
to at the protest, was happy that someone was
trying to raise awareness of their situation.
“The council needs to put things into place so
that people have somewhere to stay. They need to
stop wasting time,” he told me.

When I asked the council if it had considered
working with squatters, a spokesperson told me:
“Historically, some squatters have done
considerable damage to council property, which
means that more money has to be spent to bring
them up to a state where you can actually rent them.”

Dave maintains that he doesn’t damage property.
“We usually leave a place cleaner than when we moved in,” he told me.

While Dave might have support for his
competition, not everyone's happy about the way
he's raising awareness. An ex-squatter named
Toby, who worked on a squat project in 2012
called the “autonomous homeless shelter”, told me
that his friends thought the scheme was “a bit
stupid, because buildings can really only be
squatted once”. There's a limited stock of empty
commercial property, and even less that's in a
liveable state. Toby said his friends were
annoyed Dave was promoting “the idea that you
should squat as many buildings as possible”.

“You’re simply using up the stock”, he said.

There are no real politics behind the “King of
Squatters” competition, other than Dave’s desire
to house rough sleepers in squats. That said,
Dave identifies as an anarchist – something
that's pissed off some of Brighton's
anarcho-squats, who reckon that having a
self-proclaimed "King" is anathema to their
egalitarian politics. Two squatters who didn’t
want to be named told me that they thought the
whole thing was a publicity stunt with no
political basis. And they made a fair point, no
matter how misguided: demanding that the council
get involved kind of clashes with the entire philosophy of squatting.

When I mentioned this to Toby, he eased up on his
criticism. “I think it’s commendable that he’s at
least trying to do something, because, for fuck's
sake, something has to be done,” he said. “The
situation in Brighton is at crisis level. I can’t
stress that enough. People are dying, quite
regularly, of very preventable things.”

<http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/https://twitter.com/Tom_BBrown>@Tom_BBrown
/
<http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/https://twitter.com/milobelgrove>@milobelgrove