Tories' last gasp, flog public land before they lose next May – The Infrastructure Bill

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri Oct 24 00:09:40 BST 2014

Parliament’s New Chainsaw – The Infrastructure Bill

http://saveourwoods.co.uk/articles/infrastructure-bill/parliaments-new-chainsaw-the-infrastructure-bill/
18/10/2014    in
<http://saveourwoods.co.uk/category/articles/infrastructure-bill/>INFRASTRUCTURE
BILL    by Hands Off Our Forest
(HOOF)<http://saveourwoods.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/parliaments_new_chainsaw1.jpg>
Parliaments new chainsaw
A new mural has appeared on the side of a Forest
of Dean home in protest at the negative impact
the proposed infrastructure bill could have on
our public forests. Painted by artist Tom Cousins

DID you know legislation is currently being
pushed through Parliament that will allow any
public land to be transferred by a Government
agency, all rights of way extinguished, to private developers?

Did you know the same law – the
<http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2014-15/infrastructure.html>Infrastructure
Bill – will allow any substance whatsoever to be
dumped under any land, and that it will become a
legal objective to frack anywhere where there is
the potential of shale gas, or turn any coal seam into gas?

Did you also know that the same law gives the
potential go-ahead to exterminate barn owls, red
kites, goshawks, wild boar, and a great many
other species not deemed as ‘native’?

You’d be forgiven for not knowing because
incredibly – despite its massive implications for
nature, the environment and also our rural and
urban spaces – the
<http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2014-15/infrastructure.html>Infrastructure
Bill has almost entirely not made the news.

There are no celebrities crying ‘foul’ or any
politicians who are supposed to be opposed to the
Government. It’s almost as if all parties want
this law to be passed under the radar, because
whoever gets in after May 2015 will have carte
blanche to hand over our countryside, urban
public spaces, and the ground we walk and live on, to multinational companies.

Thankfully people have started raising the alarm
about the
<http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/in-focus/ttip/>TTIP
US-EU trade deal and its potential for the
privatisation of everything. These discussions
are being held behind closed doors, and its only
thanks to leaks from German MEPs that we have an inkling of what’s being said.

The
<http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2014-15/infrastructure.html>Infrastructure
Bill, however, has already been debated in the
House of Lords for a total period of about 10
days, and yet apparently it’s not worth
reporting. The Bill in its totality, and all the
proposed amendments, can be read on the
Parliament website. It’s there in black and white.

And yet we campaigners in the Forest of Dean only
spotted its existence and content when,
disappointed after draft legislation we’d been
promised aimed at protecting our forests was
jettisoned by the Government in June, we decided
to look into what else the Government might have up its sleeve.

As soon as we raised the alarm, the Government
attempted to put the lid on by confirming forests
weren’t included in the land transfer schemes
contained
in<http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2014-2015/0045/15045.pdf>Clause
21 of the Bill. I invite anyone to read this
section, as the only land exempt from disposal
detailed in the Bill is that owned by the royal family.

We have heard various arguments – forests and
national parks can’t be included because they are
not surplus, the only land being considered is
brownfield, and only land held by arms-length
bodies can be included. I’ll let anyone read
Clause 21 (and
<http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2014-2015/0045/15045.pdf>Section
53A of it in particular) themselves and draw
their own conclusions. The words surplus,
brownfield, arms-length or any equivalent do not appear.

There is no exemption whatsoever for any public
land (apart from Crown) contained within the Bill.
An oversight, poorly defined drafting that could
easily be rectified, you’d think. If the
Government says forests aren’t at risk of land
transfer schemes, then why not amend the Bill to state that?

But Baroness Royall of Blaisdon, a member of the
Hands Off Our Forest steering group, with the
Bishop of St Albans, have been told by the
Government’s Baroness Kramer that their amendment
to exclude the Public Forest Estate “will be resisted”.

The Bill is due to be debated in the Reports
Stage in November. After that there will be a
third reading and – if the Government doesn’t
back the amendment on forests – there is likely
to be a vote. Hence we at HOOF are urging people
to lobby lords to support Baroness Royall and the
Bishop of St Albans’ amendment. See
<http://www.handsoffourforest.org/>www.handsoffourforest.org

The fracking elements also cause us alarm because
our Forest of Dean is a coalfield – coal
gasification (when seams are set fire to and the
gas recovered from a power plant above) is part
of the proposed ‘energy mix’; we also have
proposed expansion of nuclear power stations just
across the river (Severn) from us. Back in the
1980s, the Government tried to persuade the local
authority to allow disused mine shafts to dump
radioactive waste. The waste produced from fracking is also partly radioactive.

So there we have it, the Infrastructure Bill –
opening the door wide for any future government
to take any land, override any easements and
rights of way, and give to the Government, with a
wide remit to destroy a wide range of species,
and to frack under any public or private land.
Energy minister Baroness Verma noted in the last
day of the Committee stage in the Lords (October
14) that regarding the consultation about
fracking: “Stakeholder responses from the
petroleum and geothermal industry unanimously
supported the legislation, as did wider industry,
such as manufacturing, the steel industry and
engineering associations
 Environmental groups
and various civil society organisations opposed
legislation. Having carefully considered the
various issues raised within the consultation
arguments had been presented, we firmly believe
that the proposed policy is the right approach.”

Remember February 2011, when the Government’s
Caroline Spelman made great virtue of the fact
that the Government had listened to the public
when she ditched the forests sell-off proposal?
Well the public’s views don’t seem to be worth
listening to now, not big industry has spoken

Here in the Forest of Dean, thanks to us
extensively leafletting and using social media,
there is a growing clamour against the
Infrastructure Bill. The media have given us no
help – recent correspondence with one editor said
unless we “hit them between the eyes” it won’t
make the paper. Our remit is protecting the
Public Forest Estate, others may want to protect
their local beach, mountain, park, recreation
ground, allotment or remaining green space

I would have thought everyone should be up in
arms about this. Are you? Will you help us spread the word?

Below are a couple of links which give some background:

<http://www.schnews.org.uk/stories/FRACK-TO-FRONT/>http://www.schnews.org.uk/stories/FRACK-TO-FRONT/

http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_analysis/2447901/save_our_public_lands_and_forests.html

We don’t have long to stop this! Affirmative action now, or else

OWEN ADAMS, HANDS OFF OUR FOREST

Pressure mounts on Fiona Woolf to quit after
victims say she is 'beyond the pale'

By
<http://londonnews24.com/2014/10/pressure-mounts-on-fiona-woolf-to-quit-after-victims-say-she-is-beyond-the-pale-3/http://londonnews24.com/author/ln24-editor/>Automated
Feedreader on 10/22/2014 9:10 pm in
<http://londonnews24.com/2014/10/pressure-mounts-on-fiona-woolf-to-quit-after-victims-say-she-is-beyond-the-pale-3/http://londonnews24.com/category/central-west-hammersmith-and-fulham-kensington-and-chelsea-richmond-wandsworth-news-and-features/>Central
West

    * Theresa May appointed Fiona Woolf after her original choice quit
    * Lady Butler-Sloss stepped down because her brother was attorney general
    * But Woolf admitted she is a dinner party friend of top Tory Leon Brittan
    * Brittan rejects claims he failed to act on
1980s dossier of abuse allegations
    * Lawyer for victims said Mrs Woolf was ‘beyond the pale’ over links
    * Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg distances himself from Mrs Woolf
    * Victim of child sex abuse launches legal challenge to her appointment

By

Tom McTague, Deputy Political Editor for MailOnline

The new chairman of the government inquiry into
child sex abuse is facing growing pressure to
resign today – after victims dismissed her as
‘beyond the pale’ over her links to top Tory Leon Brittan.

Fiona Woolf admitted she entertained Lord Brittan
and his wife three times at dinner parties at her
house, and twice went to his central London home
for dinner. The former Home Secretary is accused
of burying a dossier on child sex abuse given to him in 1983.

It emerged however that the list of meetings with
Lord Brittan which she gave to MPs may have been
incomplete, after a photograph surfaced showing
her chatting to the Tory peer’s wife at a prize-giving last October.

Lawyer Alison Millar representing child abuse
victims said the revelations showed Mrs Woolf was
not fit to oversee the official inquiry. A victim
of historical child sexual abuse has also
launched a legal challenge to Mrs Woolf’s appointment.

There are calls for Fiona Woolf to quit after she
admitted she entertained former Home Secretary
Leon Brittan and his wife three times at dinner
parties at her house, and twice went to his central London home for dinner

Fiona Woolf () was with Lady Brittan () at the
2013 Dragon Awards at Mansion House in October
last year – alongside journalist Martyn Lewis
(centre) – but did not mention this meeting to MPs

Nick Clegg today distanced himself from Mrs Woolf
and a host of MPs called for her to step down.

The Deputy Prime Minister said the decision to
pick Mrs Woolf, the Lord Mayor of London, had
been made after ‘an extensive process and
recommendation’ by Home Secretary Theresa May.

But the Liberal Democrat president Tim Farron
went further and called for her to quit. He said:
‘This is Theresa May’s appointment and again it
looks like she has picked someone whose
independence can be seriously questioned.’ Labour
frontbenchers Jim Murphy and Caroline Flint also called for her to step down.

Asked whether Mrs Woolf should step down, Ms
Millar – represents a number of abuse victims
whose cases are likely to be raised in the
inquiry – said: ‘Yes. I think this evidence of
dinner parties with Lord Brittan really puts her
beyond the pale in terms of her credibility with my clients.’

Ms Millar told BBC Radio 4 s Today programme:
‘This is not about Fiona Woolf’s ability or her
integrity. This is about her independence and her
ability to lead this inquiry in a way that is
credible to the survivors of abuse whom I represent.

‘The people that I am in contact with because
they are my clients, or I am in contact with
otherwise, the general view among them is that
Fiona Woolf really does not have the necessary
credibility to lead what is such an important inquiry for them.’

Home Secretary Theresa May has insisted the
inquiry can go ahead, despite the chairman’s links to Leon Brittan ()

THE SIX QUESTIONS FOR BRITTAN

Lord Brittan is accused of burying a dossier
given to him by MP Geoffrey Dickens in 1983.

It documented the alleged involvement of VIP
figures in a child sex ring. He has denied the
claims. These are the unanswered questions:
    * Why was the Dickens dossier either ‘not
retained’ or destroyed by the Home Office?
    * Which officials had sight of the document?
    * Is there any record of the dossier with prosecutors or the police?
    * Dickens handed over another dossier in
January 1984, apparently containing allegations
of abuse in children’s homes. What action was taken over this file?
    * The Home Office says it retains a file
containing a letter Brittan sent to Dickens. Does
it identify any individuals named by the MP?
    * Given his key role at the time, why was
Brittan not contacted by the Home Office during
its review into the handling of organised child
sex abuse allegations – including the Dickens dossier?

Abuse survivor Phil Frampton, who supports other
victims of abuse in care homes, told the Today
programme: ‘I am absolutely appalled at Fiona
Woolf’s appointment. It’s like putting Wayne
Rooney in charge of an investigation of the nuclear energy industry.

‘What appals me is that this is about very, very
serious crimes and horror for children, and
adults who are living with it still. It’s like
putting a few puppets in place to deal with the seriousness of the situation.’

Liberal Democrat MP John Hemming called on Mrs
Woolf to stand down, describing her appointment
as ‘a mistake’. Mr Hemming, who was one of the
first MPs to call for an inquiry, told the BBC:

‘Appointing Fiona Woolf is
 a mistake. She’s
clearly a fully fledged member of the
establishment. I think she should stand down
because an independent observer would think there’s a possibility of bias.’

Another victim of alleged abuse in local
authority care, who could not be named for legal
reasons, told the Today programme: ‘Everyone
deserves a chance, but I thought she lacks a huge
amount of credibility from a victim’s perspective.

‘She talks about ‘victim communities’. There is
no such thing as a victim community. All the
victims have had to live their lives in
mainstream society carrying some terrible,
terrible scars and being ostracised by society by and large.

‘And yet we have the lord mayor of London to
represent victims. It’s laughable.’

Rochdale MP Simon Danczuk, who led the campaign
for an inquiry, said Mrs Woolf and Lord Brittan
were ‘clearly good friends’ and she should stand down.

Mr Danczuk said she seemed ‘out of her depth’ in
her appearance before the MPs’ committee
yesterday. And he made the extraordinary claim
the Home Office may have been trying to ‘protect’
Lord Brittan with the appointment.

‘I have serious concerns about the relationship
between Fiona Woolf and Leon Brittan,’ he said.
‘He is surely somebody who has to be investigated
as part of the inquiry – not least because of his
role as Home Secretary at the time.

‘The public will be concerned they are trying to protect Lord Brittan.’

He added: ‘The vast majority of people I know, if
you have somebody round for dinner in your home,
you would consider them a good friend. She should not be doing this job.’

Lord Brittan is likely to be called to give
evidence to the inquiry about allegations – which
he denies – that in his time as Home Secretary in
the Eighties he was at the centre of an
Establishment cover-up of sex abuse claims.

Mrs Woolf, who lives on the same street as the
peer, also met his wife for coffee several times,
sat on a prize-giving panel with her, and sponsored her £50 for a charity run.

The Home Secretary’s first choice to lead the
inquiry into historic child abuse was Baroness
Butler-Sloss (), but she was forced to step down
because her brother was the Government’s attorney
general.  Labour MP Simon Danczuk called for her to stand down

Former Home Secretary Lord Brittan is accused of
failing to act on a dossier about alleged VIP
paedophile rings given to him by MP Geoffrey Dickens in 1983.

The peer has denied the claims. Mrs Woolf, giving
evidence to the Home Affairs Select Committee
yesterday, insisted the inquiry would
‘relentlessly uncover the truth for the victims’.

Details of Mrs Woolf’s contacts with the Brittans
emerged in a letter she sent to Home Secretary
Theresa May, published yesterday.She said they
lived on the same street since 2004, and invited
the couple to a party at her home in January
2008, October 2008 and February 2009.

She also attended dinner parties hosted by Lord
Brittan in November 2009 and February 2012. Mrs
Woolf told the committee she was given Home Office help in drafting the letter.

Labour MP Keith Vaz, the committee chairman, said
it was a ‘bit odd’ a draft of the letter was seen
by the Home Office before it was sent to Mrs May.
‘Surely you should have written your own letter?’ he asked.

Labour MP Paul Flynn pointed out the first choice
as inquiry chair, Lady Butler-Sloss, had
withdrawn because her brother was Attorney
General during some of the period in question.
‘You seem to be an Establishment figure as well.
Shouldn’t you resign in the interest of the report being accepted?’ he asked.

Labour MP for Bassetlaw John Mann said it was
‘totally impossible’ for Mrs Woolf to chair the inquiry.

Mrs Woolf was given the full backing of Downing
Street and the Home Office. A Number 10 spokesman
insisted Mrs Woolf had the Prime Minister’s
confidence, and she and the panel would ‘carry
out their duties to the high standards of integrity required’.

Before MPs Mrs Woolf, a former president of the
Law Society and the current Lord Mayor of London,
insisted she was not a member of the
Establishment and was an ‘ordinary solicitor’.
She said Lord Brittan was ‘one of thousands’ of people she knew in London.
- See more at:
http://londonnews24.com/2014/10/pressure-mounts-on-fiona-woolf-to-quit-after-victims-say-she-is-beyond-the-pale-3/#sthash.IIvksXlU.dpuf