The Notting Hill Squatters Who Declared Independence from the UK

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Oct 28 18:01:22 GMT 2014

The Notting Hill Squatters Who Declared Independence from the UK
By Harry Sword, Photos: Tony Sleep Oct 28 2014
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/republic-of-frestonia-tony-sleep-032

Emacs!

A sign painted onto a building in Freston Road,
Notting Hill, marking the Free Independent
Republic of Frestonia (All photos by Tony Sleep)

  In 1977, squatters in Freston Road, Notting
Hill declared independence from the British
state. Facing eviction by the Greater London
Council (GLC), the community figured the best way
to evade the constraints imposed on them was to
just free themselves of those constraints
altogether. So they lobbied the UN and
established a 1.8-acre microstate – “The Free and
Independent Republic of Frestonia” – complete
with its own postage stamps, visas and passports.

  The 100-odd citizens of Frestonia varied from
actors, artists and addicts to normal working
class Londoners and assorted bohemian flotsam.
Playwright – and one of London’s first graffiti
artists – Heathcote Williams was Ambassador to
Great Britain. David Rappaport (the actor who
starred as Randall, King of the Dwarves in Terry
Gilliam’s Time Bandits) was the Minister of
Foreign Affairs. A two-year-old child named
Francesco Bogina Bramley was the Minister for Education.

  If the same thing happened today (which it
probably wouldn’t, because squatting residential
buildings is now something you can go to jail
for), police would likely move in with eviction
papers and battering rams. But back then, living
in abandoned buildings apparently wasn’t seen as
the abhorrent transgression we now know it to be.
In fact, even Tory MP Geoffrey Howe – Margaret
Thatcher’s longest-serving Cabinet minister –
wrote to the Frestonians expressing his support,
saying, “I can hardly fail to be moved by your aspirations.”

Recommended
A West London Drug Gang's Selfies Are Sending Them to Prison

  Photographer Tony Sleep – who documented the
period in his “Frestonia” photo series – was one
of the microstate’s very first residents.

  "I was working with an alternative work agency
called Gentle Ghost at the time," he tells me.
"Notting Hill was full of all kinds of nascent
counter-culture projects, which was why I moved
there. I’d split up with my girlfriend and moved
into one of the squats on Freston Road as it was opening up."

  Before Notting Hill became a byword for
gentrification – and the stomping ground of a
weird mix of fund managers, Italian tourists and
artisanal candle designers – it wasn’t exactly a
desirable area. Now somewhere a holistic pet spa
could conceivably turn a profit, it used to be a
hash-scented expanse of dilapidated bedsits and
barren yards – the perfect breeding ground for a counter-cultural scene.

  "Notting Hill was incredibly lively in those
days," says Tony. "The whole area was in a
political turmoil of minority rights, race hate,
pressure groups
 you name it. People wanted to
experiment with different ways of living. It was
so far away from the gentrified place that it is
now, full of merchant bankers. A lot of Notting Hill was a slum.”

"Frestonian entertainers would always attract
hordes of kids from the local estates," writes
Tony. "Mostly they despised the squatters, but
they loved fire. Every few days some would set
fire to dumped tyres or cars or rubbish just to
watch the Fire Brigade turn up."

  The 1960s council housing boom, and
accompanying high rise estates, saw entire
streets of condemned terrace housing sitting
empty throughout the rest of the decade and into
the early-70s – a situation that helped to
facilitate large scale squatting in the capital.
However, as social problems from failed new
estates took hold on the area, so too did
tensions between squatters and the recently shifted long-term residents.

  ‘‘With the local community, it was difficult,”
recalls Tony. “Many of them were not happy – the
dream didn't work out with those 60s estates, as
we well know. Yes, it was nice to escape the damp
and the horrible housing that we then squatted,
but I think people were put out to see a ‘bunch
of freeloaders’ come in and take over their old
homes. We had communal gardens. We were on the
ground floor. They were 20 storeys up in a broken
lift, looking down on their old homes.’’

  "There was also the class thing," he continues.
"The area surrounding Freston Road back then was
poor and very working class. It was an industrial
area full of breakers yards... a lot of
gangsters. There was dereliction and poverty
everywhere. There was a big cultural difference
between us and people who thought we’d come in
and stolen the housing that – in some ways – they
would have preferred to stay in."

  Houses in Freston Road were squatted for four
years before the idea for a declaration of
independence was floated. Drawn up by Nick Albery
– a cultural agitator and, later, a Green Party
candidate for the area – the inspiration was the
classic 1949 comedy Passport to Pimlico, in which
an unexploded WWII bomb detonates, exposing an
old document that declares Pimlico to be part of
Burgundy and its residents honouree “Burgundians”
– an identity they take to with determined, drunken relish.

David Rappaport, the Frestonia Minister of
Foreign Affairs, lived in Frestonia before making his name as an actor

  "The GLC decided that they were going to kick
out all the dirty squatters, knock down the
housing and leave a field of rubble,” says Tony.
“We weren’t very happy about that. There was no
plan, no greater scheme for building alternative
housing. They just wanted to clear the site.

  "Nick was the father of the whole idea, along
with David Rappaport and Heathcote Williams.
There was also a chap called Mick Saunders who
wrote Alternative London, a counter-cultural
compendium of all the stuff that was happening in
the 1970s. Those four cooked up the idea. They
rented a 16mm copy of Passport to Pimlico, set up
a local screening for anyone who wanted to watch
it and said, ‘Shall we do this?’ And everybody
said, ‘Well, yes, I suppose we could.’ It was an
expedient response, one that came out of threat.
But it was also a great bit of theatre, and fantastic PR.”

  On the 31st of October, 1977, independence was
declared. Thanks to the subsequent media
attention, the GLC found it more difficult than
ever to broach the subject of full-scale
demolition. Head of the GLC, Sir Horace Cutler,
wrote a letter to the residents stating that “if
you didn’t exist, it would be necessary to make
you up”. Nick Albery responded: “Since we do
exist, why is it necessary to destroy us?”

"Miss Nazi were a local punk band who made the
Sex Pistols seem sophisticated and restrained.
They made little pretence of musical ability, but
were cutting-edge when it came to upsetting people."

  There are certain things that every sovereign
state needs, and the Frestonians were quick to
get themselves up to international standards.
They introduced postage stamps, for instance,
that replaced the Queen with “Gary the Gorilla”.

  "There was a visa stamp; there were postage
stamps; there was a little table on the entrance
to Frestonia that would stamp passports,” recalls
Tony. “People managed to send letters around the
world using Frestonia stamps. God knows how, but
they worked... they were actually recognised by the Post Office.”

  Frestonia’s cultural scene was equally
industrious. The “Frestonian National Theatre”
(at the Peoples Hall, Freston Road) ran the
London premiere of Heathcote Williams’ The
Immoralist, while the “Frestonian National Film
Institute” held regular movie screenings. In
1982, as Frestonia celebrated its fifth
anniversary, The Clash recorded much of Combat Rock at Peoples Hall.

  Richard Adams, a Frestonia resident, invented a
coat of arms for the community, bearing the
motto: “Nos Sumos Una Familia”, or “We are all
one family”. Like any extended family, however, a
certain amount of tension between residents was inevitable.

  "It created a dynamic kind of friction,” says
Tony. “Everyone had an equal right to be there,
so in a way you just had to get along. Generally,
what we all had in common was that we were under
threat of being chucked out and made homeless –
exactly the psychology you had during the Blitz.
You end up with a community forging itself because of external threat.

  “The thing about squatting is that there are no
gateway requirements. There was no homogeneity to
it at all; it was a complete spectrum of people.
I suppose you could say that there was a dominant
hippie element to it because of what squatting
was at that time, but you also had people who
were homeless for all kinds of reasons. There
were a lot of people with drug and alcohol
problems; there were a lot of people who had a
history of mental illness; and there were
ordinary working class people who just needed somewhere to live.”

"The Apocalypse Hotel. Definitely far out along
the punk axis, the inhabitants were compulsively
creative, even though it usually meant wrecking
things. The frontage of the hotel changed almost
weekly, from camouflage to spattered blood-red,
to detritus collage. Inside, staircases vanished
overnight, walls were purely provisional and it
was a dangerous place for the careless."

  Residents were consistently harassed by both
the police and criminals in the area, the former
wanting to bust people for drugs and the latter
wanting to steal the supply. In fact, break-in
attempts were so frequent that Tony resorted to
stacking bricks next to his bed in case he ever needed a midnight projectile.

  Despite that aggro, the community forged on. By
1982, Frestonia encompassed 23 houses containing
97 residents, and the GLC had abandoned plans for
a demolition – though were still determined to redevelop the site.

  In a bid to keep a hold on their home,
residents set themselves up as Bramley’s Housing
Co-Op (all Frestonia residents adopted the
surname Bramley, the idea being that the GLC
would have to move them all as one family if they
eventually kicked them out) and negotiated a deal
with the Notting Hill housing trust.

  That step towards legitimacy essentially
spelled the end of Frestonia, with a number of
new residents moving in who were unable to stick
to the ideals of the Frestonian “nation”.
However, as Nick Albery wrote in 1983, it was
still a small victory for the community, which
had spent the better part of a decade battling
the GLC and had now saved “a small part of West London from a bleak future”.

  It’s a sentiment that Tony echoes: "The spirit
of Frestonia is still there in a sense, because
Bramley’s is still there. And because we formed
the co-op, we were able to have some input into
what got built. So an echo of the old Frestonia
exists
 culturally, it’s different down there.”