Commons Library: Gypsies and Travellers: Planning Provisions

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Thu Oct 30 12:52:58 GMT 2014

When is a "traveller" not a 'traveller'? :-(

PDF version of report --
<http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn07005.pdf>

P.

<http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn07005/gypsies-and-travellers-planning-provisions>

Commons Library: Gypsies and Travellers: Planning Provisions

Standard notes SN07005, 28th October 2014

This note sets out the specific planning policies in relation to gypsy
and traveller site provision, recent changes made by Government to give
stronger protection to green belt and future proposed changes in this
area.

The Government’s planning policies and requirements for gypsy and
traveller sites is set out in Planning policy for traveller sites, which
must be taken into consideration in preparing local plans and taking
planning decisions. It encourages local authorities to formulate their
own evidence base for gypsy and traveller needs and to provide their own
targets relating to pitches required. If planning authorities are unable
to demonstrate a five-year supply of deliverable traveller sites, this
in turn may make it more difficult for them to justify reasons for

refusing planning applications for temporary pitches at appeal.

In a January 2014 written ministerial statement the Government sought to
reemphasise existing policy that “unmet need, whether for traveller
sites or for conventional housing, is unlikely to outweigh harm to the
green belt and other harm to constitute the “very special circumstances”
justifying inappropriate development in the green belt.” The statement
also confirmed that the Secretary of State would continue with his
August 2013 pledge to recover more planning appeals relating to
traveller sites in green belt land for his own determination.

In September 2014 the Government published, Consultation: planning and
travellers, which proposes to change the definition of “traveller” for
planning related purposes so that it would exclude those who have
permanently ceased from travelling. The Consultation also proposes to
change planning policy to deal with the intentional unauthorised
occupation of sites, so that if a site were to be intentionally occupied
without planning permission, that this would be a material consideration
in any retrospective planning application for that site.

A summary of all available powers which can be used by police and local
authorities to deal with unauthorised encampments, along with references
to all the legislation is set out in the Government guidance Dealing
with illegal and unauthorised encampments: A summary of available
powers, August 2013 and is not reproduced in this note. More information
about planning enforcement in general is set out in the Library standard
note, Enforcement of Planning Law.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey_public_key-2013-2.asc

Not sent from my mobile device -- I don't have one! ;-)