It's legal to be evicted for complaining about poor conditions. Demand change

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri Oct 31 12:07:08 GMT 2014

Let's make life better for renters

It's currently legal to be evicted for complaining about poor
conditions. Demand change, email your MP now:
<http://t.co/JZrultkDUa>http://bit.ly/1G1WRoe
http://www.crisis.org.uk/pages/making-renting-better.html#tell

Crisis has long demanded action to improve private renting.Sometimes
it has felt like we were banging our heads against a wall.

We know there are good landlords and properties out there. In fact,
private renting is one of the most important routes out of
homelessness for single people.

Yet too many people still have to put up with bad landlords and
dangerous properties. Recent
<http://www.crisis.org.uk/pages/http://www.crisis.org.uk/pages/sustain.html>research
from Crisis and Shelter shows how bad life in private rented
accommodation can be.

End revenge evictions

<http://www.crisis.org.uk/pages/http://www.crisis.org.uk/pressreleases.php/622/revenge-eviction-bill-a-lifeline-for-renters-trapped-in-poor-conditions>The
Government has announced its support for the Tenancies Reform bill -
a private member's bill to tackle revenge evictions introduced by
Sarah Teather MP.

Revenge evictions happen when tenants are evicted just for asking
their landlord to fix poor or dangerous conditions, leaving them
potentially facing homelessness. And fear of revenge evictions means
some tenants don't complain about that leaking roof or broken boiler,
leaving their homes cold and their health at risk.

The Bill, which has been supported by Shelter, will give tenants the
confidence to ask for their homes to be maintained.

But we will need your help to make sure this new law passes - will
you tell your MP to turn up and vote on 28 Novemeber?

Tell your MP to turn up and vote

We've drafted an email asking your MP to turn up and vote to end
revenge evictions, which you'll be able to edit if you want.

But first, have you, your friends or family ever been evicted after
reporting problems to your landlord? Or did you decide not to report
them because you thought you might get kicked out? If yes, please
tell your MP what happened by filling in the box below.

Don't worry if you haven't had any experience of revenge evictions,
you can still email your MP - just leave the box empty.