Commons Library Standard Note: 'Trespass to land'

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Fri Oct 31 14:15:45 GMT 2014

Further to the email I just sent to the Diggers list -- here's what
dropped in my inbox from the Commons Library yesterday :-(

PDF version of report at --
<http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn05116.pdf>

P.

<http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn05116/trespass-to-land>

'Trespass to land'

Commons Library Standard Note SN05116, 30th October 2014

Generally speaking, trespass to land is not a criminal offence unless
some special statutory provision makes it so. Any damage done by a
trespasser while trespassing may amount to the offence of criminal
damage.

In civil law, trespass to land consists of any unjustifiable intrusion
by a person upon the land in possession of another. Civil trespass is
actionable in the courts.

In opposition, the Conservatives published a “green paper” on planning,
including a proposal (in the context of travellers) to introduce a new
offence of trespass: In 2012, the Government introduced a new offence of
squatting in residential buildings, but it also indicated that it had no
plans to criminalise any other forms of trespass. Two separate Library
Standard Notes on Gypsies and travellers: camp sites and trespass and
Squatting in residential premises provide further information on these
issues.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey_public_key-2013-2.asc

Not sent from my mobile device -- I don't have one! ;-)