Koç pops up at Bilderberg: could this be the year to let it all hang out?

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri Jun 12 07:37:22 BST 2015

Bilderberg 2015: Cold war dinosaurs drive a wedge between Europe & Russia
BBC Radio Wales Good Morning Wales Fri 12 June 2015
http://youtu.be/AckwARGxowk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AckwARGxowk
https://twitter.com/TonyGosling/status/609247253430190080

Koç pops up at Bilderberg: could this be the year to let it all hang out?

I’ve extended the hand of friendship to one of
the group’s most prominent members – now what’s
called for is some public exposure
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/12/koc-pops-up-at-bilderberg-could-this-be-the-year-they-let-it-all-hang-out
http://www.911forum.org.uk/board/viewtopic.php?p=170139#170139

<http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/12/http://www.theguardian.com/profile/charlie-skelton>Charlie
Skelton - Friday 12 June 2015 07.00 BSTLast
modified on Friday 12 June 201507.04 BST

There was an unfortunate limo-jam outside the
gates of the Interalpen-Hotel. Over to the side
was a whispering huddle of police, flicking
hopelessly through a list of names and shrugging,
while a row of V12 Mercedes idled angrily. What
was happening? Had the organisers realised they’d
made a terrible mistake inviting Ed Balls and
scratched his name at the last minute?

A people carrier pulled up to the back of the
queue, carrying a face I knew well. It was
Turkish billionaire and
<http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/12/http://www.theguardian.com/world/bilderberg>Bilderberg
steering committee member, Mustafa Koç. He rubbed
the back of his wrestler’s neck with a meaty hand
and looked profoundly unamused by the Koç block.
I haven’t witnessed a Koç being denied entry this
embarrassingly since my university leaving ball.

After snapping a quick Koç pic I ventured a
hello. “Mr Koç!” I cried, and gave a friendly
wave. He nodded back. I introduced myself, and
took his photo again. This suddenly felt a little
rude in the middle of a more than usually human
moment, so I apologised. “No problem,” he said, and smiled.

Oh my goodness, this was it: dialogue! The great
I-Thou connection at the root of all human
interaction. Me and Koç, two souls reaching out
to each other, across the barricades. I pressed on.

“Are you looking forward to the conference?” His
eyes shone and he nodded a yes. “And what are
your thoughts on the recent Turkish elections?”
at which point our burgeoning friendship was cut
short tragically short when Koç’s driver raised
his window. The bottleneck cleared and Koç shot off.

I appreciate Skelton-Koç may not have been
Frost-Nixon, but it was a rare moment of humanity
across the barricades. And let’s face it, this
meagre exchange shouted across a driver’s chest
is probably the closest we’ll get to a press conference this whole Bilderberg.

I have to say, the cavernous lack of press
co-operation from what is an important political
summit, attended by politicians, prime ministers,
and public policymakers, is seeming more absurd
by the year. At this year’s summit for example,
the subject of “Greece” is being discussed by
three European prime ministers, the Austrian
president, a member of the executive board of the
European Central Bank, two European finance
ministers (including George Osborne) and the head
of the Dutch national bank. Some major players in the game.

Discussing it with them, we have a large number
of CEOs and chairpersons from some extremely
large financial institutions, all of whom have a
keen interest in what happens to Greece: the
assembled heads of HSBC, Lazard, Deutsche Bank,
Santander and KKR; board members of Morgan
Stanley and Goldman Sachs; the chairman of
Goldman Sachs International; and the
vice-chairman of BlackRock. All these public
officials meeting with all these corporations,
and no representation whatsoever from any serving
Greek politicians. And no press oversight.

It might perhaps be wiser, and certainly more
respectful towards the journalists who are being
harassed by police, and the electorates of the
politicians who are attending, for the Bilderberg
group to hold a press conference on the final
day. There’s a precedent for this: it’s what they
used to do, before the Lockheed scandal and the
resignation of Prince Bernhard saw them retreat
further into secrecy. I’ve seen footage of a
Bilderberg press conference from the 1970s. It could happen again.

I’m sure the funding that
<http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/12/http://technocracywatch.org/bilderberg/bp-goldmansachs/>Goldman
Sachs and BP funnel into the Bilderberg
conferences (as revealed in the annual returns of
the Bilderberg Association) could cover a few
rows of chairs and a microphone. Nothing fancy. A
short statement and a few Q&As.

You don’t have to reinvent the wheel. Just give
us something resembling a wheel. A chopped log
would do at a pinch. We’ll take anything. We’re
tired of watching diplomatic passports being slid
above tinted windows. Tired of politicians hiding
their faces, and ministers refusing to talk about
what they talked about. Tired of police officers
who, when they aren’t hassling journalists, are
lining up in ranks in front of limousines to obscure the view.
  Police stand guard at Bilderberg 2015. Photograph: Charlie Skelton/Guardian

Now here’s an idea: maybe Mustafa Koç could help
enable this press conference? The Koç family’s
conglomerate, the brilliantly named Koç Holding,
lists “four main inviolable principles” in its
articles of corporate governance, and the very
first of these is “transparency”. Koç himself,
the chairman of the company, seems happy to chat
to the press, and he’s spoken out against
corruption in politics. He said recently, just
before his country’s elections: “Our people deserve clean politics.”

Clean politics is open politics. Transparency lets the sunlight in.

Koç might have a fight on his hands, but he looks
like someone who doesn’t mind twisting arms. And
there’s no denying that Koç is a powerful
presence at Bilderberg. There are a lot of
friends of Koç on the steering committee, so when
it comes to lobbying for better press relations,
maybe Koç can swing it? Surely something this
simple wouldn’t be hard for Koç. Not a Koç that powerful.

After all, Koç is hugely connected in the world
of business. He’s a member of the International
Advisory board of Rolls-Royce, and sits on
JPMorgan’s International Advisory Council
alongside Tony Blair. And his fellow member of
the steering committee, Peter Sutherland, the
chairman of Goldman Sachs International, is on the board of Koç Holding.

And I think, in some small way, I have an
understanding with Koç. So, in the spirit of
dialogue and progress, of transparency and “clean
politics”, I’m reaching out to Koç, to help make
this press conference happen. I may be wrong, my
dreams my come to nothing, but I have a strange
feeling that 2015 might just be the year of Koç.