Hostile Architecture: ‘Sleeping rough opened my eyes to London’s barbed cruelty’

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Jun 13 13:15:38 BST 2015

Anti-homeless spikes: ‘Sleeping rough opened my
eyes to the city’s barbed cruelty’

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/defensive-architecture-keeps-poverty-undeen-and-makes-us-more-hostile?CMP=share_btn_tw
The spikes installed outside Selfridges in
Manchester are the latest front in the spread of
‘defensive architecture’. Is such open hostility
towards the destitute making all our lives uglier?
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/defensive-architecture-keeps-poverty-undeen-and-makes-us-more-hostile#img-1>
Metal studs outside private flats on Southwark Bridge Road, Lon
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/defensive-architecture-keeps-poverty-undeen-and-makes-us-more-hostile#img-1>
Metal studs outside private flats on Southwark Bridge Road, Lon

  Metal studs outside private flats on Southwark
Bridge Road, London. Photograph: Guy Corbishley/Demotix/Corbis

<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.theguardian.com/profile/alex-andreou>Alex
Andreou

Wednesday 18 February 2015 18.30 GMTLast modified
on Thursday 19 February 201500.05 GMT

More than 100 homeless people are “living” in the
terminals of Heathrow airport this winter,
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.standard.co.uk/news/veterans/homeless-veterans-the-hidden-homeless-who-live-at-heathrow-airport-10022906.html>according
to official figures – a new and shameful record.
Crisis and the Joseph Rowntree Foundation have
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31108799>warned
that homelessness in London is rising
significantly faster than the nationwide average,
and faster than official estimates. And yet, we
don’t see as many people sleeping rough as in
previous economic downturns. Have our cities
become better at hiding poverty, or have we become more adept at not seeing it?

Last year, there was great public outcry against
the use of
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jun/07/anti-homeless-studs-london-block-uproar>“anti-homeless”
spikesoutside a London residential complex, not
far from where I live. Social media was set
momentarily ablaze with indignation, a petition
was signed, a sleep-in protest undertaken, Boris
Johnson was incensed and within a few days they
were removed. This week, however,
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/selfridges-installs-inhumane-antihomeless-spikes-outside-manchester-store-10049442.html>it
emerged that Selfridges had installed metal
spikes outside one of its Manchester stores –
apparently to “reduce litter and smoking

following customer complaints”. The phenomenon of
“defensive” or “disciplinary” architecture, as it is known, remains pervasive.

 From ubiquitous protrusions on window ledges to
bus-shelter seats that pivot forward, from water
sprinklers and loud muzak to hard tubular rests,
from metal park benches with solid dividers to
forests of pointed cement bollards under bridges,
urban spaces are aggressively rejecting soft, human bodies.

We see these measures all the time within our
urban environments, whether in London or Tokyo,
but we fail to process their true intent. I
hardly noticed them before
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/03/youll-never-live-common-people>I
became homeless in 2009. An economic crisis, a
death in the family, a sudden breakup and an even
more sudden breakdown were all it took to go from
a six-figure income to sleeping rough in the
space of a year. It was only then that I started
scanning my surroundings with the distinct
purpose of finding shelter and the city’s barbed cruelty became clear.

I learned to love London Underground’s Circle
line back then. To others it was just the rather
inefficient yellow line on the tube network. To
me – and many homeless people – it was a safe,
dry, warm container, continually travelling
sometimes above the surface, sometimes below,
like a giant needle stitching London’s centre
into place. Nobody harassed you or moved you on.
You were allowed to take your poverty on tour.
But engineering work put a stop to that.

Next was a bench in a smallish park just off
Pentonville Road. An old, wooden bench, made
concave and smooth by thousands of buttocks,
underneath a sycamore with foliage so thick that
only the most persistent rain could penetrate it.
Sheltered and warm, perched as it was against a
wall behind which a generator of some sort
radiated heat, this was prime property. Then, one
morning, it was gone. In its place stood a convex
metal perch, with three solid armrests. I felt such loss that day.
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/defensive-architecture-keeps-poverty-undeen-and-makes-us-more-hostile#img-2>
Hostile architecture on the former Coutts Bank, Fleet Stree, Lo

Hostile architecture on the former Coutts Bank, Fleet Stree, Lo

  Hostile architecture on the former Coutts Bank,
Fleet Stree, London. Photograph: Linda Nylind for the Guardian

“When you’re designed against, you know it,” says
Ocean Howell, who teaches architectural history
at the University of Oregon,
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/jun/12/anti-homeless-spikes-latest-defensive-urban-architecture>speaking
about anti-skateboarding designs. “Other people
might not see it, but you will. The message is
clear: you are not a member of the public, at
least not of the public that is welcome here.”
The same is true of all defensive architecture.
The psychological effect is devastating.

There is a wider problem, too. These measures do
not and cannot distinguish the “vagrant”
posterior from others considered more deserving.
When we make it impossible for the dispossessed
to rest their weary bodies at a bus shelter, we
also make it impossible for the elderly, for the
infirm, for the pregnant woman who has had a
dizzy spell. By making the city less accepting of
the human frame, we make it less welcoming to all
humans. By making our environment more hostile,
we become more hostile within it.

Defensive architecture is revealing on a number
of levels, because it is not the product of
accident or thoughtlessness, but a thought
process. It is a sort of unkindness that is
considered, designed, approved, funded and made
real with the explicit motive to exclude and
harass. It reveals how corporate hygiene has
overridden human considerations, especially in
retail districts. It is a symptom of the clash of
private and public, of necessity and property.

Pavement sprinklers have been installed by
buildings as diverse as the
famous<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://nypost.com/2013/11/14/strand-bookstore-uses-sprinklers-to-evict-sleeping-homeless/>Strand
book store in New York, a
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.dw.de/homeless-in-germany-given-the-boot/a-17729421>fashion
chain in Hamburg and
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.echinacities.com/news/Chengguan-Office-Building-Uses-Sprinklers-to-Drive-Away-Homeless>government
offices in Guangzhou. They spray the homeless
intermittently, soaking them and their
possessions. The assertion is clear: the public
thoroughfare in front of a building, belongs to
the building’s occupant, even when it is not being used.

Setha Low, a professor in environmental
psychology, and urban geographer Neil Smith, in
their book
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://bookshop.theguardian.com/politics-of-public-space.html>The
Politics of Public Space, describe the phenomenon
as a creeping encroachment that has “culminated
in the multiple closures, erasures, inundations
and transfigurations of public space at the
behest of state and corporate strategies”. They
contend that the very economic and political
revolutions that freed people from autocratic
monarchies also enshrined principles of private
property at the expense of a long tradition of common land.

Sculptor
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.fabianbrunsing.de/>Fabian
Brunsing brought a satirical eye to the issue by
creating the “pay bench”, an art installation of
a park bench that retracts its metal spikes for a
limited time when the prospective sitter feeds it
a coin. Chinese officials, completely missing the
joke, thought that this was a great idea and
installed similar
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://web.orange.co.uk/article/quirkies/New_benches_are_a_pain_in_the>benches
in Yantai Park of the Shangdong province.
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/defensive-architecture-keeps-poverty-undeen-and-makes-us-more-hostile#img-3>
Concrete spikes under a road bridge in Guangzhou city, Guangdon

<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fgu.com%2Fp%2F46v2t%2Fsfb%23img-3&ref=responsive>Facebook<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Defensive+architecture%3A+keeping+poverty+unseen+and+deflecting+our+guilt&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgu.com%2Fp%2F46v2t%2Fstw%23img-3>Twitter<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?description=Defensive+architecture%3A+keeping+poverty+unseen+and+deflecting+our+guilt&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fsociety%2F2015%2Ffeb%2F18%2Fdefensive-architecture-keeps-poverty-undeen-and-makes-us-more-hostile&media=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.guim.co.uk%2Fsys-images%2FGuardian%2FPix%2Fpictures%2F2015%2F2%2F18%2F1424281793963%2F708804e3-0cce-4d63-ae6c-8069b657d708-2060x1236.jpeg>Pinterest
  Concrete spikes under a road bridge in
Guangzhou city, Guangdong, China. Photograph: Imaginechina/REX

The architecture of our cities is a powerful
guide to behaviour, both directly and in its
symbolism. One of the very first acts of the
newly elected Syriza government in Greece was to
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://greece.greekreporter.com/2015/01/29/iron-fence-removed-from-tomb-of-unknown-soldier-in-athens/>remove
the metal barriers between the Hellenic
parliament and Syntagma Square. The effect on the
centre of Athens of the removal of this barricade
– which represented the strife of the last few
years – was almost magical, as if an entire city
breathed a sigh of relief. The symbolism of a
government saying that they were a part of the
people, rather than apart from the people, was understood by all.

Artist Nils Norman has been documenting the
phenomenon of defensive architecture since the
late 90s
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.dismalgarden.com/archives/defensive_architecture>with
thousands of photographs. This “vernacular of
terror”, as he calls it, has its roots in
leftover space or “gap sites”: plots that are too
small to develop but large enough to encourage
loitering. He sees the loss of public space as
directly related to a loss of public life. “City
space is quietly altered to maximimise its
control and circulation,” he says. “Benches
become bum-free, which in turn become ‘perches’,
which are in turn removed. As city spaces become
cleaner and more symbolically ‘safe’, defensive
design becomes more abundant and paranoid.”

Recently, as I walked into my local bakery, a
homeless man (whom I had seen a few times before)
asked whether I could get him something to eat.
When I asked Ruth – one of the young women who
work behind the counter – to put a couple of
pasties in a separate bag and explained why, her
censure was severe: “He probably makes more money
than you from begging, you know,” she said, bluntly.

He probably didn’t. Half his face was covered
with sores. A blackened, gangrenous-looking toe
protruded from a hole in his ancient shoe. His
left hand looked mangled and was covered in dry
blood from some recent accident or fight. I
pointed this out. Ruth was unmoved by my
protestations. “I don’t care,” she said. “They
foul in the green opposite. They’re a menace. Animals.”

It’s precisely this viewpoint that defensive
architecture upholds. That the destitute are a
different species altogether; inferior and
responsible for their demise. Like pigeons to be
shooed away; urban foxes disturbing our slumber
with their screams. “Shame on you,” jumped in
Libby, the older lady who works at the bakery.
“That is someone’s son you’re talking about.”

We curse the destitute for urinating in public
spaces with no thought about how far the nearest
free public toilet might be. We blame them for
their poor hygiene without questioning the lack
of public facilities for washing. It costs £5 to
take a shower at King’s Cross station. Wilful
misconceptions about homelessness abound. For
instance, that shelters are plentiful and
sleeping rough is a lifestyle choice. Free
shelters, unless one belongs to a particularly
vulnerable group, are actually extremely rare.
Getting a bed often depends on a referral from a
local agency, which, in turn, depends on being
able to prove a local connection. For the
majority of homeless people, who have usually
graduated from a life as itinerant sofa-surfers, it is impossible to prove.

This tripartite pressure of an increasingly
hostile built environment, huge reduction in
state budgets, and a hardening attitude to
poverty can be disastrous for people sleeping
rough, both physically and psychologically.
Fundamental misunderstanding of destitution is
designed to exonerate the rest from
responsibility and insulate them from perceiving
risk. All of us are encouraged to spend future
earnings through credit. For the spell to be
effective, it is essential to be in a sort of
denial about the possibility that such future
earnings could dry up. Most of us are a couple of
pay packets from being insolvent. We despise
homeless people for bringing us face to face with that fact.

Poverty exists as a parallel, but separate,
reality. City planners work very hard to keep it
outside our field of vision. It is too miserable,
too dispiriting, too painful to look at someone
defecating in a park or sleeping in a doorway and
think of him as “someone’s son”. It is easier to
see him and ask only the unfathomably
self-centred question: “How does his homelessness
affect me?” So we cooperate with urban design and
work very hard at not seeing, because we do not
want to see. We tacitly agree to this apartheid.

A homeless man, Pawel Koseda, was found dead last
year; bled out,
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/a-homeless-man-was-found-impaled-on-a-spike-in-a-square-in-londons-kensington--but-who-was-he-and-why-did-he-die-9981456.html>impaled
on the six-inch spikes of the metal fence that
surrounds St Mary Abbots in Kensington, the
Camerons’ chosen place of worship. He had high
levels of alcohol in his blood and was wearing
hospital pyjamas under his clothes. Koseda used
to be a university lecturer in Poland. Ed Boord,
who found the body, said that several people
walked by and didn’t even notice. “It upset me
that someone like that spends their life not
being noticed,” he said, “and even in their last
moments people still walk past.”

Crisis and the
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/hidden-homeless-benefit-sanctions-blamed-as-rough-sleepers-increase-by-a-third-in-five-years-10021643.html>Joseph
Rowntree Foundation’s research says that UK
homeless numbers have increased by a third in the
last five years. Benefit sanctions are cited as
the main reason. In this context of depressed
wages and soaring living costs, reduced services
and lack of housing, we are facing a humanitarian
disaster.
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24487146>The
Red Cross is involved in food aid in the UK for
the first time since the second world war. Can
our response as a civilised society really be
limited to moving people on from our doorsteps?

This, more than anything else, will determine our
future as a species. Our ability to share will be
key to our survival. The rough sleeper’s bad
fortune is intricately connected to someone
else’s good fortune. The person sleeping outside
the expensive Bond Street boutique is part of the
same nexus as the person inside spending
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/features/are-these-the-worlds-most-expensive-socks-9918848.html>£500
on a pair of socks.

Resources are scarce. Infinite wealth creation is
a fairytale. Real wealth – land, food, water,
fuel – has physical limitations. If some take
more than they need, others go without. We
obsessively focus on the external: carbon
emissions, recycling, charity work, social
security, saving the snow leopard – all of them
excellent goals – while doggedly refusing to look
inwards and make the adjustments that might allow us to coexist more equitably.

A ray of hope from Vancouver –
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/vancouver-shelterbenches-show-up-londons-antihomeless-spikes-as-how-not-to-deal-with-rough-sleepers-9565941.html>benches
that unfold into shelters and read “This is a
bench” during the day, but light up to reveal
“This is a bedroom” at night. Perhaps a small
step on what David Harvey, author of
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/http://bookshop.theguardian.com/catalog/product/view/id/277767/>Social
Justice and the City, calls the “path from an
urbanism based on exploitation to an urbanism
appropriate for the human species”.

Defensive architecture acts as the airplane
curtain that separates economy from business and
business from first class, protecting those
further forward from the envious eyes of those
behind. It keeps poverty unseen and sanitises our
shopping centres, concealing any guilt for
over-consuming. It speaks volumes about our
collective attitude to poverty in general and
homelessness in particular. It is the aggregated,
concrete, spiked expression of a lack of generosity of spirit.

Ironically, it doesn’t even achieve its basic
goal of making us feel safer. There is no way of
locking others out that doesn’t also lock us in.
The narrower the arrow-slit, the larger outside
dangers appear. Making our urban environment
hostile breeds hardness and isolation. It makes
life a little uglier for all of us.