Oakland artist turns trash into homes for the homeless

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Mar 3 13:14:16 GMT 2015

Helping Homeless: Artist comes up with housing solution in California

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_24869274/oakland-artist-turns-trash-into-homes-homeless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_DlPN9gkBY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_DlPN9gkBY

[]

Oakland artist turns trash into homes for the homeless

By Matthew Artz

Oakland Tribune
POSTED:   01/08/2014 09:03:02 AM
PST<http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_24869274/oakland-artist-turns-trash-into-homes-homeless#disqus_thread>9
COMMENTS| UPDATED:   10 MONTHS AGO

1/5
Greg Kloehn, right, who takes discarded trash and turns it into

Greg Kloehn, right, who takes discarded trash and
turns it into rolling shelters for homeless
people in his west Oakland, Calif. neighborhood,
greets "Wonder," a homeless woman who now lives
in the shelter he built for her, Tuesday, Dec.
31, 2013. (D. Ross Cameron/Bay Area News Group)
‹›

OAKLAND -- Gregory Kloehn can turn just about anything into a home.

The Oakland artist spends his summers in Brooklyn
living in a dumpster he outfitted with granite
countertops, hardwood floors, a rooftop deck, plumbing and a barbecue grill.

But his proudest creations are even cozier
structures that he gives to homeless people in his neighborhood.

Kloehn's "little homeless homes" are about the
size of a sofa, but they come with a pitched roof
to keep out the rain and wheels so recipients can roll them around town.

So far Kloehn has built 10 of the tiny houses
using mostly illegally dumped trash that piles up
on the streets in a semi-industrial section of
West Oakland. The foundation is usually discarded
wood pallets to which Kloehn will add
accouterments such as windows, a mirror and a cup
holder. Several homes are insulated with discarded pizza delivery bags.

Wonder, a homeless woman Kloehn has known for
several years, parked her new house on the
sidewalk next to her old home, which consisted
primarily of a tarp draped over a couch.

"This is the best home I've had in five years,"
Wonder said as she opened the front door -- made
from a discarded picnic table -- to reveal the
pizza bag insulation. "It gets real hot in here," she said.

All the homes have gotten rave reviews. "They say
this is just night and day, especially when it
rains," Kloehn said. "Once your mattress gets wet, it's just terrible."

Kloehn, a 43-year-old transplant from Denver, is
a sculptor who "got on a housing kick" after
building his five-unit live-work condominium complex from scratch.

Inspired by the small home environmental
movement, Kloehn started making fully functioning
houses out of shipping containers. He soon moved
on to dumpsters. "Then I just started grabbing
garbage and making homes out of that," he said.

Kloehn's fascination with nontraditional homes
helps support his wife and two children. While he
gives away the homeless houses, he sells homes,
bars and restaurants that he makes from shipping
containers, many of which reside in the Red Hook section of Brooklyn.
<http://www.mercurynews.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=5648473>
The interior of one of the makeshift homeless shelters that Gre

The interior of one of the makeshift homeless
shelters that Gregory Kloehn of Oakland, has
built out of garbage dumped in his West Oakland
neighborhood. (D. Ross Cameron/Bay Area News Group)

"Before I was all about sculpture, but I realized
it just sits there. And you're just peddling it
to rich people," he said. "I kind of think if
you're putting so much effort into something it
would be nice if it did something."

As Kloehn delved deeper into the essence of a
home, he began studying the homeless shanties in
his neighborhood. He self-published a book titled
"Homeless Architecture" and sometimes grabbed his
drill to help local homeless people secure their shelters against the elements.

"I admire them for how they build," he said.
"When you think about it, they are really living
green. They're going around recycling all day and
then they scrape stuff from the street to make a
home on a piece of property that no one really cares about."

But Kloehn never made the connection that his
tiny houses could help the homeless until a
homeless couple came by his house last year and
asked him for a tarp. Kloehn could only offer
them what he had in his studio -- a tiny wooden
structure equipped with a built-in kitchen, water
tank and a small trap for human waste.

"I had this home sitting right here," Kloehn
said. "I thought, 'Why am I keeping it?'"

Over the past year, Kloehn has further simplified
his design so he can make a home out of five
pallets. Each home takes two to three days to make.

Most of the homes can be found on the streets of
West Oakland although a few have not fared well.
The home Kloehn gave to the couple seeking the
tarp was firebombed. No one was injured, he said.
Another home was stolen. And one recipient sold
his home for $80. It's now being used as a doghouse, Kloehn said.

Oakland spokeswoman Karen Boyd said that to her
knowledge the tiny homes had not registered on
the city's radar. Oakland supports many types of
homes for people suffering from the housing
shortage, she said. But city officials would need
to discuss whether the homes present encroachment or other policy issues.

Kloehn has no plans to build houses for all of
Oakland's homeless. But he doesn't intend to stop
anytime soon. He's working on new designs,
including a geodesic dome and a chuck wagon.

He'd also like to start doing weekend workshops
to teach others how to make them. "A lot of
people who hear about what I'm doing want to get
involved," he said. "Maybe we meet someplace and put a couple homes together."

Contact Matthew Artz at 510-208-6435

TRASH HOMES

To donate materials or inquire about potential
volunteer opportunities, contact Gregory Kloehn
at <mailto:greg.kloehn at gmail.com>greg.kloehn at gmail.com.