Manchester homeless face jail over tent camps

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Oct 1 13:39:34 BST 2015

Manchester homeless people face jail over city centre tent camps

Seven people are accused of breaking injunction
barring anyone from pitching tent in city to
protest against council homelessness
policies<http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/30/manchester-homeless-people-face-jail-over-city-centre-tent-camps#img-1>
  A homeless protest camp under the elevated
Mancunian Way, one of many set up across the city
centre since April. Photograph: Christopher Thomond for the Guardian
<http://www.theguardian.com/profile/helenpidd>Helen
Pidd North of England editor and Aidan Balfe

Wednesday 30 September 201508.55 BSTLast modified
on Wednesday 30 September 201517.59 BST
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/30/manchester-homeless-people-face-jail-over-city-centre-tent-camps

A group of homeless people in
<http://www.theguardian.com/uk/manchester>Manchester
faces jail after pitching tents in the city
centre, the latest episode in a long-running
battle between the council and an ever increasing number of rough sleepers.
Six men and one woman are due in court in
Manchester on Wednesday, accused of breaking a
court order brought by Manchester city council
and Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU).
This injunction aims to prevent anyone from
pitching a tent in the city to protest against
the council’s homelessness policies.
The defendants insist they are innocent and that
they were not protesting but simply living on the
streets as comfortably as they could. The council
sees it differently, accusing them of disrupting
residents and businesses in the city centre via
vandalism, intimidation and public urination. If
the defendants lose they face a fine of up to £5,000 or two years in prison.
Some of those named in the court action had been
living for over a month in a makeshift homeless
centre dubbed the Ark, underneath the Mancunian
Way flyover on Oxford Road on land leased by MMU.
Just one of a number of camps which will greet
delegates at this weekend’s Tory party conference
in the city, the Ark had portable toilets and a
TV powered by a generator, as well as furniture
and camp beds donated by the general public. A
sign out front declared: “This is not a protest.”
The Ark was cleared by bailiffs on 18 September
after the MMU and the council obtained a court
order. It followed clearances at other tent camps
across the city, including
<http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/the-northerner/2015/may/06/manchester-council-bans-homeless-people-from-using-library>outside
the Central Library, in the busy shopping area
around
<http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/the-northerner/2015/jun/29/homeless-protesters-face-eviction-from-manchester-city-centre>St
Ann’s Square and by Castlefield nightlife district.
On 3 August the council obtained an unusually
wide-reaching injunction from Manchester county
court. This stated: “Persons are forbidden from
erecting and/or occupying tents or any other
moveable temporary forms of accommodation for the
purposes of or in connection with protests or
similar events arising from or connected with the
[council’s] homeless policy” within prescribed city limits.
Following the Ark eviction, the university
subsequently erected fences around the dry spot
under the bridge where homeless people have slept
ever since the flyover was built 50 years ago.
The group simply pitched up on land next door,
which does not offer the same shelter from the elements.
Ryan McFee, a 24-year-old electrician who has
been homeless since being released from prison
last September, is one of the seven accused of breaking the injunction.
He said he had been sleeping rough under the
Mancunian Way since February after being kicked
out of a homeless hostel. “First of all I was
sleeping in a cardboard box, then I started to
build walls around us like windbreakers,” he said on Tuesday.
“What I was trying to do was create a homeless
shelter of the kind that’s not currently
available in Manchester. Normally they kick you
out during the day. Here, people are welcome to rock up and chill, 24/7.”
McFee said there was no evidence he had been
protesting. “Where does it state anything about
Manchester city council’s homelessness policy?
Nowhere. In fact, it clearly states that this is
not a protest. I’m not protesting against no
homeless policy. They can take that injunction and stick it up their arse.”
Adrian Redman, 53, from Trafford, has been living
at the Ark since becoming homeless in July. He
said: “The Ark was not a protest. We were trying
to create a space where people could come and
feel safe. We gave tents away, toiletries, food,
anything to help people on the streets.”
Members of the public have been largely
supportive of the camp. Last week around 50
students from MMU
<http://www.mancunianmatters.co.uk/content/240974437-city-without-issues-closure-ark-arrogant-attempt-hide-manchester-homeless-problem>staged
a protest to call for an end to the “social
cleansing of Oxford Road” by the university.
Sixty-nine members of staff signed a letter along
the same lines, though MMU said several members
of the tent group were “aggressive and verbally
abusive to university employees”.
On Tuesday Kelly Scragg, 23, a recent graduate,
came to donate foam mattress and bedding. “I
walked this route everyday and it’s just sad to
see people on the street,” she said.
Nigel Murphy, Manchester city council’s executive
member for neighbourhoods, said: “The injunction
has been taken out to deal with the protest camps
which have been causing disruption to residents
and businesses in the city centre for five
months, and to stop them from simply moving from
one site to another. This disruption has included
vandalism, public urination, fighting and the
intimidation of members of the public, while the
police have been forced to arrest people
connected with the camps and to recover stolen property from one of the sites.
“It would be entirely inaccurate to claim our
injunction is aimed at cracking down on people
who are forced to sleep rough in the city.
However, like the protesters, we don’t think it
is okay for anyone to be in this situation, which
is why our homelessness team has been visiting
the camp on a regular basis to offer
accommodation, help and support to anyone who
needs it. Some have accepted our offers –
including five earlier this month, some of whom
are now living in a building we have recently
been working hard to open up as a residential unit for rough sleepers.
“However, a large number have turned down these
offers, and sadly the team have had to visit the
camp with a police accompaniment because of the
hostile reception they have received from people
based there who are not homeless.”
A spokesperson for MMU
<http://www.mmu.ac.uk/news/news-items/3739/>said
of the Ark eviction: “We have been working with
the council and support agencies to understand
the complex nature of this situation and the
group, and have satisfied ourselves that our
actions would not be detrimental to genuine causes and individual needs.”
Manchester now has more official rough sleepers
than any other UK city apart from London. There
were 43 counted on the
<http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/number-people-sleeping-rough-greater-8745312>annual
count last autumn, up 79% from 24 the previous
year, though campaigners say the real figure could be much higher.