Judge throws out council bid to jail Manchester homeless camp dwellers

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Oct 3 00:00:35 BST 2015

Manchester Victory!: Council’s bid to jail people
living in homeless camps thrown out by judge

----------
Posted on Oct 1st, 2015 in
<http://streetskitchen.co.uk/http://streetskitchen.co.uk/?cat=22>Street News
  “Today justice has been served. We have said
all along that we are not protesting, all we are
trying to do is live. The council were trying to
send us to prison for being homeless. It is not right.”
[]
http://streetskitchen.co.uk/?p=3303
Wesley Dove, Michael Soughlan, Ross Irving and
Nathan Carrey outside Manchester’s Civil Justice Centre after the hearing
A legal bid to jail people living in homeless
camps across Manchester has been thrown out by a
judge as we previously reported
<http://streetskitchen.co.uk/http://streetskitchen.co.uk/?p=3267>here
In what is thought to be a legal first, the
council had issued proceedings against seven
individuals for
<http://streetskitchen.co.uk/http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchesters-homeless-protest-camp-banned-9761876>breaching
a city centre-wide injunction banning people from
erecting tents to protest against the authority’s homeless policy.
The potential penalty for a breach is up to two
years in prison or a £5,000 fine.
But at a hearing at Manchester’s Civil Justice
Centre, Judge Allan Gore said the way the council
had presented its case was ‘fundamentally defective’,
He said that it did not produce evidence of when
or where certain defendants had breached the
order, or proof that some of them had even seen the injunction.
VIEW GALLERY
[]

Dismissing the council’s case, he said: “There is
no dates, descriptions of behaviour or
identification of which allegations are made against which defendant.
“That is a fundamentally misconceived and
inappropriate way to advance criminal
proceedings, where the council seeks that the
court orders to commit people to prison.
“The failure to comply with the procedural
directions and court order are so serious that
the only proper course for me to adopt is to strike out this application.”
He also said the council must foot the bill for
the defendants’ legal costs in the case, which
could amount to many thousands of pounds.
Town hall bosses had applied for the city-wide
injunction after a series of previous eviction
notices prompted the homeless camps
<http://streetskitchen.co.uk/http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/homeless-refuge-built-under-mancunian-10019812>move
on to different places in the city.
  Since it was granted, possession orders have
also been granted for land on King Street in the
city centre and at the site of The Ark homeless
shelter –
<http://streetskitchen.co.uk/http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/recap-scuffles-break-out-homeless-10081495>where
members of the camp clashed with bailiffs while
being forcibly evicted a fortnight ago.
HOMELESS PROTESTS
[]
Speaking after the hearing, Wesley Dove, who was
named as a defendant in the case, said: “Today
justice has been served. We have said all along
that we are not protesting, all we are trying to
do is live. The council were trying to send us to
prison for being homeless. It is not right.”
He said: “The degree of incompetence in making
this application by Manchester council’s legal
team is breathtaking, it beggars belief. My
clients were petrified that they could be going
to jail simply for living in a tent. I would have
expected Manchester council to have done have
done their job properly. The application was so
fundamentally flawed it didn’t even get off the ground.
“The application to commit was dismissed on
procedural grounds and my clients are content
with the outcome of today’s hearing. However the
injunction remains in force, which means that the
council are still able to apply to commit them to prison again.”
Speaking after the decision, Coun Nigel Murphy,
Manchester City Council’s executive member for
neighbourhoods, said: “Our application was
rejected today due to technical issues, but the
injunction remains in place. We’re now working
with our partners to develop our strategy around
homelessness in the city, as we remain committed
to addressing the needs of homeless people in the city.”

<http://streetskitchen.co.uk/http://streetskitchen.co.uk/?page_id=1137>World
Homeless (Action) Day 10th October

Working in partnership with many grass-root groups across the UK and beyond..
We receive no funding and rely on your support to
continue to develop Street Kitchens across the UK
and provide vital information for our streets.
Embedded image permalink