Simon Fairlie scything & haymaking special on today's BBC Countryfile

tony at cultureshop.org.uk tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Jul 18 00:01:25 BST 2016

 Coronation meadows
 In the past 100 years 97% of our meadow habitats have been lost, but with a little help they are slowly returning. Kingcombe Nature Reserve in Dorset has a Coronation Meadow; a ‘donor site’ for other local meadows. Matt Baker meets Dr. Trevor Dines from Plantlife to establish exactly what a meadow is and to discover more about this special site. Nick Gray from the Dorset Wildlife Trust shows Matt the incredible species which thrive here and will go on to seed our future meadows. Matt also visits Simon Fairlie, a man who knows a thing or two about scythes. On his small holding in Dorset Simon hand harvests hay to feed his cattle. Matt learns to scythe with Andi Rickard, the UK Women’s Scything Champion. She challenges him to a mowing competition under Simon’s expert eye. Has Matt got what it takes to beat a champion? Making hay whilst the sun shines is a group effort. Matt joins in and discovers how important it is to keep your precious hay dry.

The BBC Countryfile team explore meadows, from the wildlife that makes the meadow its home to the plants that thrive there. Matt Baker discovers the art of scything with Britain's reigning female scything champion, and also makes hay whilst the sun shines. Naomi Wilkinson meets an artist whose passion for meadows echoes through her vibrant paintings. She explores the RSPB site encouraging birds, bees, bugs and butterflies by introducing a meadow habitat. And she finds out about the rise in popularity of burial meadows.
 John Craven discovers the folklore behind meadow plants and how their healing properties are being used in modern medicine. And Adam Henson is on his farm looking at his own meadows and grasslands. Tom Heap investigates the lack of affordable housing in Britain's rural areas and asks why we're still not getting it right.

 Countryfile, Meadows http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07lnn9v/countryfile-meadows

 http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07lnn9v/countryfile-meadows

 Countryfile, Meadows http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07lnn9v/countryfile-meadows The Countryfile team explore meadows, and Matt Baker discovers the art of scything.

 View on www.bbc.co.uk http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07lnn9v/countryfile-meadows