'Tenant Assured' App Wants To Sell Your Private Data To Landlords

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Jun 11 08:35:17 BST 2016

<http://fortune.com/tech/>TECH
<http://fortune.com/tag/changing-face-of-security/>CHANGING FACE OF SECURITY

This Invasive App Wants to Sell Your Private Data to Landlords

    *
by
<http://fortune.com/author/robert-hackett/>Robert
Hackett <https://twitter.com/rhhackett>@rhhackett JUNE 9, 2016, 3:54 PM EDT

The startup behind it eyes employers and romantic interests next.

http://fortune.com/2016/06/09/tenant-assured-landlord-data-app/
Web 2.0, meet credit reporting agency 2.0.

Public social media information apparently isn’t
enough for the next generation of businesses
looking to grade consumers on their reliability.
A new app wants to know as much as it can about
you­including the private digital bits.

<https://www.tenantassured.com/#intro>Tenant
Assured, created by Score Assured, a U.K.-based
startup, aims to dig deeper than what’s out in
the open. Here’s how the service, which debuted in the U.K. recently, works.

A prospective landlord (and Tenant Assured
customer) sends a prospective renter a link to
the service, which requests access to one or more
of his or her social media profiles on
Facebook
<http://fortune.com/fortune500/facebook-157/>FB
-1.64% , Instagram,
LinkedIn
<http://fortune.com/fortune500/linkedin-733/>LNKD
-3.98% , and
Twitter
<http://fortune.com/fortune500/twitter-914/>TWTR
-3.97% . Then it hoovers up the data therein
contained­including what’s normally off limits
for profiles marked “private”­crunches it through
some algorithms, and delivers an analysis to the landlord.

A reporter at the Washington Post
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/06/09/creepy-startup-will-help-landlords-employers-and-online-dates-strip-mine-intimate-data-from-your-facebook-page/?tid=sm_tw>took
the plunge (brave soul) and decided to test out
the service. The app created a “creepy” digest,
as she says, about her online self. “My personal
tenant report includes a list of my closest
friends and interests, a percentage breakdown of
my personality traits, a list of every time I’ve
tweeted the words ‘loan’ and ‘pregnant,’ and the
algorithm’s confidence that I’ll pay my rent consistently,” she wrote.

Thornhill assured Fortune that the company does
not pry into one’s chat threads, such as Facebook
Messenger conversations, Twitter or Instagram
direct messages, or LinkedIn “in mails.” Rather,
it scopes out the content posted to a network,
looks at one’s usage and activity, one’s closest
contacts, and other personal details­such as how
often someone goes on vacations or writes the words “terrorist” and “murder.”

“People continue more and more to expect their
private data to become something of value that
they­can’t sell­but can trade for something,”
Thornhill said. “We see it as a way of helping
people get something they want.” In this case, tenancy.

Credit reporting agencies and background checkers
have long histories of associated connotations
with privacy invasion, intrusiveness, and, of
course, creepiness. As The Atlantic out it in
<http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/04/mass-surveillance-was-invented-by-credit-bureaus/479226/>a
recent story, such bureaus “were the NSA of the
19th century.” This seems to be an iteration on that theme.

The company is also exploring specialized
versions of the software for use-cases in
recruitment, online dating, and other areas.
Screenshot of website

Evictees and families unite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfkSW4LvvXM