Corbyn in re-launch, advised to include more direct democracy

MM mm at iniref.org
Sat Jan 14 15:56:36 GMT 2017

Leader of the british Labour Party, Jeremy Corbyn, has begun a public
drive to present policy proposals, in an effort to counter Labour's
rather dismal election prospects.

Here is an innovative idea for a reform which would win back votes.

The Labour Party and others could win votes by promising effective ways
for people to influence how the country is run.

Labour is way behind in the polls and Corbyn's chances of winning the
next general election look slim.

In the "brexit" ballot the "leavers" voted to take back control of our
government. So, why not promise as a political party to give more
control of (our own) public affairs back to the people?

In a general election held once every five years the electorate can take
only a rough guess at what a political party might get up to. After
voting we have practically no influence on public policy across the
whole range of government roles. Direct democracy, added on to our
system of parties and parliament, would enable the people to intervene
on issues which we have chosen, using the public (policy- or law-)
proposal and the right to launch a ballot. This type of democracy is
very different to the use of a referendum imposed by the government
(usually done to solve a problem of the ruling party) because the
impulse and initiative come from the people. To find out more search
for: campaign for direct democracy GB.

Around 75 percent of eligible voters at the last general election did
NOT vote Tory. According to repeated surveys around the same proportion
of British adults support the introduction of direct democracy, for
instance that a large agreed number of voters can make a public proposal
and so trigger a binding ballot to decide the matter. Probably there is
considerable overlap of these two "populations".  So, please support
proposals to place the introduction of elements of local and central
direct democracy, to complement "representative" and party democracy,
centrally in the programmes of out political parties.