Nearly 600 Homeless People Died Last Year In The UK, First Official Government Figures Show

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Dec 22 12:42:39 GMT 2018

Nearly 600 Homeless People Died Last Year In The
UK, First Official Government Figures Show

http://tlio.org.uk/nearly-600-homeless-people-died-last-year-in-the-uk-first-official-government-figures-show/

<http://tlio.org.uk/nearly-600-homeless-people-died-last-year-in-the-uk-first-official-government-figures-show/>22/12/2018
- <http://tlio.org.uk/author/tony/>TONY GOSLING -
<http://tlio.org.uk/nearly-600-homeless-people-died-last-year-in-the-uk-first-official-government-figures-show/#respond>LEAVE
A COMMENT

Homeless deaths soar by 24 per cent in five years

<https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/homeless-deaths-2017-last-year-figures-streets-rough-sleeping-a8692101.html>May
Bulman – Social Affairs Correspondent – @maybulman – Fri 21 December 2018

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/homeless-deaths-2017-last-year-figures-streets-rough-sleeping-a8692101.html

Nearly 600 homeless people died last year in
England and Wales, according to government
figures published for the first time.

The figure marks a 24 per cent increase over the
last five years, according to the data.

Only two days ago, a homeless man was found
collapsed yards from parliament. He later died in
hospital, prompting claims ministers were
ignoring the growing problem of street homelessness on their doorstep.

Another homeless man died in the same place
during a freezing cold night in February.

The latest figures, collated by the Office for
National Statistics (ONS), show more than half of
all deaths of homeless people in 2017 were due to
drug poisoning, liver disease or suicide.

London and the northwest of England had the
highest mortality of homeless people, both in
numbers of deaths and per million population of the region.

Some 84 per cent of those who died were men. The
average life expectancy for homeless people was
found to be 44 years for men and 42 years for women.

For the general population of England and Wales
in 2017, the mean age at death is 76 years for men and 81 years for women.

The records identified are mainly those sleeping
rough, or using emergency accommodation such as
homeless shelters and direct access hostels, at or around the time of death.

Separate figures published by Crisis last week
revealed levels of rough sleeping in the UK –
including sleeping on public transport and in
tents – had doubled in five years, rising by 20
per cent to 24,000 in just 12 months.

Gyula Remes, a 43-year-old Hungarian national,
was found by British Transport Police on Tuesday
night outside Westminster underground station.
Although officers administered first aid, he died hours later.

He was initially found by his friend Gabor Kasza
looking “all blue” near a set of revolving doors
used by politicians and staff in the House of Commons.

Mr Kasza said Mr Remes had been drinking that
night and had been given a cigarette, which he
suspected had been laced with the synthetic drug spice.

He said the Hungarian had recently begun work as
a chef’s assistant. He said that Mr Remes was due
to receive his first pay cheque “some time this
week”, which he had hoped would enable him to get off the streets for good.

Mr Remes’ death caused widespread outrage. Labour
MP Neil Coyle said: “We should all be ashamed
that Westminster – a world heritage site – is
also a place homeless people are forced to try to stay warm.”

Responding to the latest figures, shadow housing
minister Melanie Onn said: “These figures are
utterly shameful and reflect a complete failure
of Conservative policy on housing, which has seen
rough sleeping skyrocket since 2010.

“We are one of the richest countries in the world
and there is no excuse for people dying on our streets.”

Howard Sinclair, chief executive of St Mungo’s,
which supports rough sleepers across the south of
England, said: “The figures don’t surprise me. I
wish they did. I have personally been informed of
five deaths in the past couple of weeks.

“We’ve seen increased numbers, but also increase
in the need of people in terms of range and depth
of need, particularly in last three to four
years. People’s mental health needs are far
greater, people’s dependency on drugs is far higher.

“It’s a result of cuts in funding, particularly
to NHS services and local authorities. This is
one of the effects of austerity – the services
people need have been reduced, so it’s no
surprise that it’s what we’re seeing day in day out.”

Greg Beales, campaign director at Shelter said:
“This appalling loss of life should be a source
of national shame. There is nothing inevitable
about homelessness or about these tragic deaths
which are a consequence of a housing system which fails too many people.

“Our crippling shortage of social housing and a
threadbare safety net are at the root of this
national emergency and we call on government to
make this year a turning point in the fight to
ensure that there is a safe home for all those who need it.”

Ben Humberstone of the ONS said: “Every year
hundreds of people die while homeless. These are
some of the most vulnerable members of our
society so it was vital that we produced
estimates of sufficient quality to properly shine
a light on this critical issue.”

Communities secretary James Brokenshire said: “No
one is meant to spend their lives on the streets,
or without a home to call their own. Every death
on our streets is too many and it is simply
unacceptable to see lives cut short this way.

“That’s why we are investing £1.2bn to tackle
homelessness and have bold plans backed by £100m
to halve rough sleeping by 2022 and end it by 2027.”

He said he was also committed to ensuring
independent reviews into the deaths of rough
sleepers are conducted where appropriate and that
he would be holding local authorities to account.

NB please do reply with remove as the subject or
first line if you do not wish to recieve further emails - thanks

'From South America, where payment must be made
with subtlety, the Bormann organization has made
a substantial contribution. It has drawn many of
the brightest Jewish businessmen into a
participatory role in the development of many of
its corporations, and many of these Jews share
their prosperity most generously with Israel. If
their proposals are sound, they are even provided
with a specially dispensed venture capital fund.
I spoke with one Jewish businessmen in Hartford,
Connecticut. He had arrived there quite unknown
several years before our conversation, but with
Bormann money as his leverage. Today he is more
than a millionaire, a quiet leader in the
community with a certain share of his profits
earmarked as always for his venture capital
benefactors. This has taken place in many other
instances across America and demonstrates how
Bormann’s people operate in the contemporary
commercial world, in contrast to the fanciful
nonsense with which Nazis are described in so much “literature.”

So much emphasis is placed on select Jewish
participation in Bormann companies that when
Adolf Eichmann was seized and taken to Tel Aviv
to stand trial, it produced a shock wave in the
Jewish and German communities of Buenos Aires.
Jewish leaders informed the Israeli authorities
in no uncertain terms that this must never happen
again because a repetition would permanently
rupture relations with the Germans of Latin
America, as well as with the Bormann
organization, and cut off the flow of Jewish
money to Israel. It never happened again, and the
pursuit of Bormann quieted down at the request of
these Jewish leaders. He is residing in an
Argentinian safe haven, protected by the most
efficient German infrastructure in history as
well as by all those whose prosperity depends on his well-being.'
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fspitfirelist.com%2Fbooks%2Fmartin-bormann-nazi-in-exile%2F&h=eAQErj17O>http<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fspitfirelist.com%2Fbooks%2Fmartin-bormann-nazi-in-exile%2F&h=eAQErj17O>://spitfirelist.com/books/martin-bormann-nazi-in-exile/

http://www.thisweek.org.uk
http://www.911forum.org.uk
http://www.bilderberg.org
http://www.tlio.org.uk