XR - Extinction Aversion - Craig Murray

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri Apr 26 00:02:49 BST 2019

<https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2019/04/extinction-aversion/>Extinction
Aversion

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2019/04/extinction-aversion/
http://tlio.org.uk/craig-murray-xr-extinction-aversion/

<https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2019/04/23/>23
Apr, 2019  in
<https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/category/uncategorized/>Uncategorized
by
<https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/author/craigm/>craig

<https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2019/04/extinction-aversion/#respond>View
Comments

Man made climate change has appeared to me for
three decades to be sufficiently proven, and it
has that cardinal virtue of a scientific
hypothesis, you can see the things which it
predicts will happen, come to pass before your
eyes, like being uncomfortably hot in your Edinburgh flat on Easter Monday.

Direct action of the illegal kind is a very
important weapon in the arsenal of protest. It
represents a challenge to the state’s monopoly of
force. While it may appear non-violent, in fact
by imposing your body into a space and blocking
it off, that is an assertion of physical force.
What the Extinction Rebellion protests showed
this week was the reticence of the Metropolitan
Police in dealing with nice, middle class and
largely white protestors. That reticence is to be
welcomed; the fact that it is not extended to
other groups is what is to be deplored. The
alternative is to argue for everyone to get
beaten up by Plod equally, which is not a sensible line to take.

I broadly support the Extinction Rebellion
protest. In terms of gatecrashing climate change
on to the political agenda, they have had a good
and entirely necessary effect. Their use of what
was in effect force, certainly did some harm in
restricting the movement of people around London,
and in some cases will have impacted the ability
of struggling people to earn their living. It
also disrupted public transport systems which are
a good thing. But these are minor items if you
accept that climate change is whirling its way to
becoming an existential threat – and that is a
premise which I do accept. The disruption is
outweighed by the intent to do a much greater
good, in terms of the justification of the people
doing the protesting. Whether it succeeds in
prompting real action by government and achieving
a balance of good, is a different question. I
fear we have to get rid of the Tories first.

I accept that climate change is a worldwide
phenomenon and action in individual states of
limited utility. But individual states can
inspire by example, not least by showing that a
switch to a greener economy can lead to a major
stimulation of economic growth. I do not pretend
to expertise in green economics. What follows are
rather some homely policy nostrums which I
believe should form a part of a coherent approach to green policy.

1) Home Insulation

The Tory Government has effectively abandoned and
cancelled home insulation schemes; in effect
nothing whatsoever is happening. Yet the
government’s own plan to reach committed
emissions targets by 2050 explicitly depends on
one third of all savings being achieved by
insulation in Britain’s existing stock of over 20
million very poorly insulated homes.

There is the clearest case here for government
action. The aim should be to upgrade 4 million
homes a year. Full funding should be provided to
local authorities and housing associations for
their stock. Householders should face a legal
obligation to bring home insulation up to high
defined standards – with generous means-tested
grants available from central government funds,
which should meet 100% of the cost for all those
in straitened circumstances, and a decreasing
percentage thereafter based on income and wealth.
Private landlords should be forced to comply and
self-fund up to the value of four months’ rent,
with grants available for higher costs. Failure
to comply should lead to the landlords’ property
being confiscated by the local council, with tenancies protected.

Those are the broad outlines of a policy which
would provide massive employment and contribute
to a major Keynesian boost for an economy
crippled by years of austerity, as well as make a
major difference to emissions.

2) Ocean Energy

Wind energy has made massive strides, and to a
lesser extent solar and hydro. But
disappointingly little has been done to harness
the restless energy of the seas. Government
support for research programmes into utilising
wave and current energy is pitifully small, given
the potentially vast and reliable energy resource
available, to the UK in particular.

On tidal energy, those objecting to the Severn or
Wash barrage schemes on the grounds of effect on
wildlife habitat are failing spectacularly to see
the wood for the trees. Of course biodiversity is
massively important, but we are fighting a battle
in which some resources will need to be
sacrificed. The Severn, Wash and Swansea Bay
schemes do not require substantial technological
innovation – they are basically just low head
hydro – and should be pushed ahead as urgent
projects. Simultaneously major research funding
should be given to innovation. I suspect the
harnessing of currents rather than waves would be the first to fruition.

3) Aviation Fuel Tax

Cheap flights are the opiate of the people. I
cannot buy in to the argument that aviation fuel
tax is only viable if everybody does it. Planes
landing can very easily be taxed on any fuel they
have in their fuel tanks brought in from third
countries. If hub passengers transiting are
reduced in favour of fuel tax free destinations,
I cannot see that as a bad thing. An aviation hub
is a particularly undesirable thing to become,
from any sensible environmental view.

Flying is a major contributor to pollution and
there is far too much of it. The tax free fuel
status that makes flights cheaper than trains is
ludicrous. Aviation fuel should be taxed at the
same levels per calorific value as road fuels.

4) Expand Rail Networks

Nationalisation and re-integration is of course
the sensible prelude to any development of rail
transport. The UK is chronically behind most of
the developed, and even much of the developing,
world in terms of high speed rail lines. This
needs to be rectified as does the chronic
over-concentration of transport resource on South
East England. HS2 should run on to Aberdeen and
Inverness, not just be confined to the southern third of the UK.

On a wider note, with demand for rail transport
buoyant, re-establishment of many Beeching axed
lines should be undertaken with a view to a
simple containerised nationwide freight
distribution system as well as passenger
transport. Rail is far more energy efficient than
road. The preponderance of road transport is
simply the result of perverse incentive from government policy.

Light rail and tram systems should be expanded in
cities. Here in Edinburgh, the poor planning and
execution of the start of a tram system should
not put us off. Trams should be a local service,
not fast and stopping frequently, but rather akin
to buses, as in Manchester. They should not be
confused as in Edinburgh with an express airport
service, with very few and inaccessible stops.

5) Encourage Micro-Generation: Abolish Nuclear

The UK had an immensely successful programme of
encouraging domestic solar generation through
feed in tariffs, so the Tories cut it, as they
cut the less successful insulation grants.
Generous feed-in tariffs for domestic generation
should be rebooted, while technologies such as
heat pumps and exchangers should be zero rated for VAT (as should bicycles).

By contrast, the massively expensive nuclear
power projects should be scrapped immediately. I
lived almost all my adult life under the
impression nuclear energy involved some
fiendishly clever technology, until I realised it
generates from bog standard steam turbines, and
the nuclear part is simply a ludicrously
complicated, incredibly expensive and
devastatingly dangerous way to – boil water.

The real attraction to governments of nuclear
power is the precise reason governments dislike
micro-generation – nuclear power promotes a
massively centralised security state, and links
in well to weaponisation. It is the most
expensive electricity of all, and should be immediately closed down.

The above represent my own thoughts on possible
short term policy responses to climate change. I
acknowledge quite freely that it is not my area
of expertise and is perhaps insufficiently
radical, and certainly insufficiently broad and
detailed. It has however focused my mind on the
great economic stimulus that can be gained from
wholesale pursuit of the necessary technologies at the government level.

I have deliberately concentrated on unilateral
measures rather than international negotiation,
because I am sceptical there is sufficient will
for progress on the latter or that governments
around the world intend to stick to commitments.
I have viewed it from a UK not a Scottish
perspective because action is required
immediately, and Scotland starts from a much better place anyway.

That I am thinking on this at all is in a way
evidence that Extinction Rebellion achieved their
aim from their immediate action, though it is
those in power they seek to influence, not random
bloggers. I am very sceptical of their declared
desire to “negotiate with government”. If David
Cameron were still in power, he would undoubtedly
“hug a swampie” and make all kinds of green
noises, then continue shutting down environmental
programmes. Those around Theresa May are quite
clever enough to recommend such an approach, as a
potential Tory rescuing image as the party
otherwise crashes to electoral disaster.

I would recommend Extinction Rebellion to keep
blocking the roads and stay clear of the
politicians. If they could refine their tactics
to concentrate more on direct action against the
big polluters and their financial backers, and
move away from shocking the public through
inconvenience, that might be tactically good for
a while. But on the whole, I applaud. Vigorously.

NB please do reply with remove as the subject or
first line if you do not wish to recieve further emails - thanks

'From South America, where payment must be made
with subtlety, the Bormann organization has made
a substantial contribution. It has drawn many of
the brightest Jewish businessmen into a
participatory role in the development of many of
its corporations, and many of these Jews share
their prosperity most generously with Israel. If
their proposals are sound, they are even provided
with a specially dispensed venture capital fund.
I spoke with one Jewish businessmen in Hartford,
Connecticut. He had arrived there quite unknown
several years before our conversation, but with
Bormann money as his leverage. Today he is more
than a millionaire, a quiet leader in the
community with a certain share of his profits
earmarked as always for his venture capital
benefactors. This has taken place in many other
instances across America and demonstrates how
Bormann’s people operate in the contemporary
commercial world, in contrast to the fanciful
nonsense with which Nazis are described in so much “literature.”

So much emphasis is placed on select Jewish
participation in Bormann companies that when
Adolf Eichmann was seized and taken to Tel Aviv
to stand trial, it produced a shock wave in the
Jewish and German communities of Buenos Aires.
Jewish leaders informed the Israeli authorities
in no uncertain terms that this must never happen
again because a repetition would permanently
rupture relations with the Germans of Latin
America, as well as with the Bormann
organization, and cut off the flow of Jewish
money to Israel. It never happened again, and the
pursuit of Bormann quieted down at the request of
these Jewish leaders. He is residing in an
Argentinian safe haven, protected by the most
efficient German infrastructure in history as
well as by all those whose prosperity depends on his well-being.'
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fspitfirelist.com%2Fbooks%2Fmartin-bormann-nazi-in-exile%2F&h=eAQErj17O>http<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fspitfirelist.com%2Fbooks%2Fmartin-bormann-nazi-in-exile%2F&h=eAQErj17O>://spitfirelist.com/books/martin-bormann-nazi-in-exile/

http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/contributor/2149
http://www.thisweek.org.uk
http://www.911forum.org.uk
http://www.bilderberg.org