[Diggers350] LJN/Labour tax inherited homes;

Simon Fairlie chapter7 at tlio.org.uk
Mon Sep 28 17:08:06 BST 2020

Lifetime Gift Tax:  Quite right too. Inheritances perpetuate bourgeois privilege. £125,000 is too generous a ceiling if you ask me.

The best thing about a gift tax is that it is rated  according to the wealth of the recipient — not, as now, as  a  percentage of the loot left behind (and then only on an estate worth more than half a million quid). Taxing the recipient means that if the inheritor already has bags of money they pay super-tax on anything they receive, and if they are completely broke they probably pay nothing at all. This in turns means that  if testators want to see their legacy go further, they will leave it to poorer people rather than wealthier.

Millions of children are not going to be forced out of their homes. The number of children orphaned is not in the millions, and no doubt there are or can be safety nets.  As for young adults losing their home, not only is it probably about time they did leave home, but if they want to stay  they could  have priority to remortgage to the local council and the profits could go into council housing. There is no reason why some young adults should get free housing, while others pay a small fortune for  it.   In any case Land for the Many has other  measures that aim to reduce the cost and hence the value of housing across the board.

Simon