[Diggers350] Bright Green Lies: Review Of Julia Barnes' Documentary, Out A Year After Planet Of The Humans

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri May 14 12:35:45 BST 2021

It's not knowledge we lack, a screenshot from Rao

‘It's not knowledge we lack’
A screenshot from Raoul Peck's
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exterminate_All_the_Brutes_%282021_film%29>‘Exterminate
All The Brutes’, 2021

‘Bright Green Lies’.

A brief review of the (annoyingly pay only) film and its ‘deep green’ message

https://tlio.org.uk/bright-green-lies-paul-mobbs-review-of-julia-barnes-documentary-and-its-deep-green-message/
https://vimeo.com/346171480
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEOjZgWoQAc

<http://www.fraw.org.uk/blogs/index.html>
ramblinactivist blogs logo

Welcome to
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/blogs/index.html>‘Ramblinactivist’s Blogs’

Paul Mobbs:
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/rambles/index.shtml>Rambler;
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc1ESFg4fkA>Activist/<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHRtrGciSUo>Hacktivist;
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/meir/ebo_book.shtml>Author;
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/meir/writing.shtml>Researcher;
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/lwap/index.shtml>Deep
Ecologist; but none of the subsequent parameters
in that list exists without the influence of the first.

To keep up with new information you can follow me
on social media and YouTube (click icons below
heading at top of page) – and please subscribe if
possible, as in today’s digital analytics
popularity contest it's the only way to get a wider audience.

Ramblinactivist's ‘Meta-Blog’ no.14,
7th May 2021
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/blog/2021/20210507-bright_green_lies.pdf>Download
the PDF version of this post
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/blog/2021.shtml>2021
Posts Index   <http://www.fraw.org.uk/blog/index.shtml>‘The Meta-Blog’ Index

It’s been a year since ‘Planet of the Humans’
caused the leaders of climate campaigns to go
into heated meltdown. By comparison, this film
throws them an even greater challenge to try and respond to.

<http://www.fraw.org.uk/blogs/copyright.shtml>
Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license logo
© 2021 Paul Mobbs; released under the
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/blogs/copyright.shtml>Creative Commons license.

Created: Friday 7th May 2021.
Length: ~3,450 words.

<http://www.fraw.org.uk/blog/accessibility.shtml#keyboard>Click
for hotkeys list

Page bookmarks
(use section number as a hotkey to jump to it).

    *
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/blog/2021/20210507-bright_green_lies.shtml#class>Environmentalism
is a ‘class’ issue.
    *
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/blog/2021/20210507-bright_green_lies.shtml#limits>Economics
versus ecological limits.
    *
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/blog/2021/20210507-bright_green_lies.shtml#colonialism>Climate
inequality meets decolonialism.

1. Vimeo On-Demand:
<https://vimeo.com/ondemand/brightgreenlies>‘Bright Green Lies’,
21st April 2021
2. YouTube:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk11vI-7czE>‘Planet of the Humans’,
21st April 2020
3. Ramblinactivist’s Blogs:
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/blog/2020/20200501-planet_of_the_humans.shtml>‘‘Planet
of the Humans’ – A (long-form) review of
 the reviews.’, 1st May 2020
4. The Grayzone:
<https://thegrayzone.com/2020/09/07/green-billionaires-planet-of-the-humans/>‘Green’
billionaires behind professional activist network
that led suppression of ‘Planet of the Humans’ documentary’,
7th December 2020
5. Ramblinactivist’s Blogs:
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/blog/2020/20200518-cooking_scones_with_the_prodigy.shtml>‘Cooking
scones with The Prodigy; or, why do climate
campaigners not understand logical fallacies?’,
18th May 2020
6. Wikipedia:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick_Jensen>‘Derrick Jensen’
7. Wikipedia:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lierre_Keith>‘Lierre Keith’
8. <https://www.maxwilbert.org/>Max Wilbert’s
website

Being ‘well known’ in eco-circles, you sometimes
get strange, often unsolicited stuff arriving in
your inbox. This, however, was something I’d been
hoping for: A chance to view, and thus review,
<https://vimeo.com/ondemand/brightgreenlies>‘Bright
Green Lies’1 – Julia Barnes’ new documentary
about the environmental movement and its support for renewable energy.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk11vI-7czE>‘Planet
of the Humans’2 (PotH) was entertaining. At a
general level it was factual, albeit a polemic
expression of those points. But its protracted
period of production meant that it lacked
coherence, and thus left itself open to easy criticism.

Those criticisms when they came, however, fell
directly into the lap of the
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/blog/2020/20200501-planet_of_the_humans.shtml>central
argument of the film3: That mainstream
environmentalists distort facts to promote an
erroneous vision of the measures necessary to ‘save the planet’.

It wasn’t just Josh Fox,
<https://thegrayzone.com/2020/09/07/green-billionaires-planet-of-the-humans/>backed
by green entrepreneurs4, engaging in a cavalier
reshaping of fact and quotations to blacken the
name of the film. Our own
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/blog/2020/20200518-cooking_scones_with_the_prodigy.shtml>George
Monbiot engaged in5 his own well-honed distortion
of fact and quotation via The Guardian (symbolic
of a number of their recent failures) in order to
try and prevent people watching the film on this side of the pond.

‘Bright Green Lies’ is very different: Like PotH,
once again it presents the personal viewpoint of
the director, Julia Barnes. Unlike PotH, though,
it has a very different tone, building upon the
immediacy and well-researched content of the
eponymous book by
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick_Jensen>Derrick
Jensen6,
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lierre_Keith>Lierre
Keith7, and <https://www.maxwilbert.org/>Max
Wilbert8 – all of whom appear in the film.

You get the core of the film’s argument over the
first five minutes, as the four main protagonists
set out their respective take on the ‘bright
green’ position [time index in film is shown in brackets]:
The front cover of Bright Green Lies
‘Bright Green Lies’, the book Derrick Jensen,
Lierre Keith, and Max Wilbert, Monkfish Book Publishing, 1st April 2021.
The film poster for Bright Green Lies
‘Bright Green Lies’, the film Julia Barnes, 22nd April 2021.
    * Barnes: “People rarely question the
solutions they are taught to embrace, but with
all the world at stake we must start asking the
right questions. There is a push for a 100%
renewable world, and after the research I’ve done
for this documentary, I want no part of it. I did
not become an environmentalist to protect my way
of life, or the civilisation in which I live. I
did it because I am in love with life on this
planet, and because the world I love is under
assault. This film is for those whose allegiance
is with the living world. Those who would do
whatever it takes to defend it.”[02:26]
    * Jensen: “You will have hundred of thousands
of people marching in the streets of Washington,
or New York, or Paris; and, if you ask those
individuals ‘why are you marching?’, they will
say, ‘we wanna save the planet’. And if you ask
them for their demands they will say, ‘we want
subsidies for the wind and solar industry’.
That’s extraordinary. I can’t think of any time
in history when any mass movement has been so
completely captured, and turned into lobbyists for an industry.”[03:49]
    * Keith: “The environmental movement used to
be a very impassioned group of people who cared
very deeply about the places we loved and the
creatures we loved. What happened, though, in my
lifetime, was that this movement which was so
honourable and impassioned, it turned into
something completely different. And now its about
protecting a destructive way of life, while it
destroys the creatures and the places we love.
It’s all become, ‘how to we continue to fuel this
destruction?’, as if the only problem was that we
were using oil and gas.”[03:16]
    * Wilbert: “The natural world isn't really
part of the conversation any more. Kumi Naidoo,
the former head of Greenpeace, I was watching him
being interviewed the other day. He was saying,
‘The planet’s going to survive, the oceans are
going to survive, the forests are going to
survive, it’s really about can we save ourselves
or not’. And I just saw that and I’m thinking,
what the hell are you saying?
 This is someone
who's considered to be one of the top
environmentalists in the world and he's saying we
don't have to worry about the forests or the
oceans? I mean, that just betrays a complete lack
of empathy and connection to the natural world. I
don't know how you could possibly say that when
we’re in the midst of the Sixth Great Mass
Extinction, and it’s being caused by industrial
culture. It’s being caused by the same
institutions, the same economies, the same
systems, the same raw materials, the same
extractive mindset, that is being used for these
renewable energy technologies.”[04:36]

<http://www.fraw.org.uk/blog/2021/20210507-bright_green_lies.shtml#bookmarks>jump
to bookmarks

Environmentalism is a ‘class’ issue

9. Wikipedia:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_green_environmentalism>‘Bright
green environmentalism’
10. Sociological Review:
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/data/ap/cotgrove_1980.pdf>‘Environmentalism,
Middle-Class Radicalism And Politics’,
vol.28 no.2, 1980
11. Environmental Conservation:
<https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/environmental-conservation/article/sympathy-for-the-environment-predicts-green-consumerism-but-not-more-important-environmental-behaviours-related-to-domestic-energy-use/075A55EF4BC0730CE8FD5E39B4CEC8DA>‘Sympathy
for the environment predicts green consumerism
but not more important environmental behaviours
related to domestic energy use’,
vol.43 no.2, January 2013
12. Journal of Experimental
Social Psychology:
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/data/ap/eom_2018.pdf>‘Social
class, control, and action – Socioeconomic status
differences in antecedents of support for pro-environmental action’,
vol.77 pp.60-75, 2018
13. Architectural Science Review:
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/data/ap/gatersleben_2010.pdf>‘Values
and sustainable lifestyles’,
vol.53 pp.37-50, 2010
14. Sociological Perspectives:
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/data/ap/huddart-kennedy_2019.pdf>‘Eco-habitus
or Eco-powerlessness? Examining Environmental Concern across Social Class’,
vol.62 no.5, March 2019
15. Sustainable Development:
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/data/ap/hurth_2010.pdf>‘Creating
Sustainable Identities – The Significance of the Financially Affluent Self’,
vol.18 pp.123-134, March 2010
16. Wikipedia:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathon_Porritt>‘Jonathon Porritt’
17. Wikipedia:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sara_Parkin>‘Sara Parkin’
18. Wikipedia:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairshirt_environmentalism>‘Hairshirt
environmentalism’

My introduction to ‘environmentalism’ started
before I’d seriously heard the word; growing up
in a semi-rural working class family who grew
their own food, kept chickens, and foraged.
Likewise, coming into contact with ‘mainstream’
environmentalism in the mid-1980s introduced me
to the concept of
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_green_environmentalism>‘bright
green’9 before I’d heard that term either.

If there’s one general criticism I have (in part
because the book, too, glosses over it), it is
the failure to explore the
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/data/ap/cotgrove_1980.pdf>class
bias of environmentalism10. It is dominated by
the middle class (and in UK, led by the
upper-middle class); and so the economically
‘aspirational’ middle class values suffuse its
agenda. That’s overlooked in the film.

That this movement should innately favour
<https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/environmental-conservation/article/sympathy-for-the-environment-predicts-green-consumerism-but-not-more-important-environmental-behaviours-related-to-domestic-energy-use/075A55EF4BC0730CE8FD5E39B4CEC8DA>individualist
materialist values11, over communal or spiritual
ones, should therefore be of no surprise. That
does not condemn these groups, or
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/data/ap/eom_2018.pdf>render
them incapable12 of change. What it makes them do
is reflect a narrow focus of
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/data/ap/gatersleben_2010.pdf>both
concerns and solutions13. More importantly, in a
mass political society, it makes it difficult for
them to
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/data/ap/huddart-kennedy_2019.pdf>have
empathy with14 a large majority of the public –
and that hampers their ability to make change.

That
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/data/ap/hurth_2010.pdf>bias
towards affluence15 informs their ideological
values, which in turn have come to dominate
contemporary environmentalism. As said in the film:

“Bright Green Environmentalism is founded on the
notion that technology will solve environmental
problems; and that you can, through 100%
recycling, through wind and solar power, have an
industrial economy that does not harm the planet.
Deep ecology is the belief that we need to
radically change the way society functions in order to be sustainable.”[05:30]

The spectre of this early ideological
differentiation has haunted the movement. Just as
Keith outlines, for me it became evident around
1988 to 1990. Figures such as
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathon_Porritt>Jonathon
Porritt16 and
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sara_Parkin>Sara
Parkin17 sought to divest the movement of its
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairshirt_environmentalism>‘hairshirt’<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairshirt_environmentalism>
image18, and put it on a ‘professional’ footing.
As a self-acknowledged ‘fundo’ (the pejorative
term used for deep green ‘fundamentalists’ in the
Green Party at that time) that didn’t enthuse me one bit.

That ‘professionalised’ approach (for which, read
compromise with neoliberal values) would slowly
percolate through the movement over the next
decade. And with it, the compromise that has
stalled more radical responses to ecological
issues ever since. That failure has, in part,
only escalated these historic internal tensions –
tensions that this film, almost certainly, will inflame.
19. YouTube:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2TbrtCGbhQ>‘Forget Shorter Showers’, 2015
20. Nature Communications:
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-16941-y>‘Scientists’
warning on affluence’,
19th June 2020
21. Wikipedia:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degrowth>‘Degrowth’
22. Nature Energy:
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/data/ap/oswald_2020.pdf>‘Large
inequality in international and intranational
energy footprints between income groups and across consumption categories’,
vol.5 pp.231-239, March 2020
23. Oxfam:
<https://www.oxfam.org/sites/www.oxfam.org/files/file_attachments/mb-extreme-carbon-inequality-021215-en.pdf>‘Extreme
Carbon Inequality – Why the Paris climate deal
must put the poorest, lowest emitting and most vulnerable people first’,
December 2015
24. Oxfam:
<https://www.oxfam.org/en/research/confronting-carbon-inequality>‘Confronting
carbon inequality – Putting climate justice at
the heart of the COVID-19 recovery’,
21st September 2020

First ‘green consumerism’, and then
‘sustainability’, foundered on the reality that
the movement’s role as a ‘stakeholder’ in
government and industry programmes produced
little change. Today, the issue at the heart of
this internecine contention is renewable energy –
and whether it is a realistic response to the
Climate Emergency, or just another distracting ruse.

I think this film is a good contribution to that
contemporary debate. If only to make many people
aware that
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2TbrtCGbhQ>this
debate exists19, and so cause people to look at
the academic research in more detail.

As Barnes succinctly put it: “We are told that we
can have our cake and eat it too.”[01:59] And
yes, this really is all about cutting the ‘cake’
of affluence. But the film’s criticism of
consumerism was couched in a generic “we”, and therein lies its failing.

When it comes to consumption it is not an issue
of ‘we’. It is about how an extremely narrow
social and economic elite exploit the majority by
giving them the
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-16941-y>‘illusion
of affluence’20. Albeit one that is today
precariously founded upon deepening debt and
doubtful economics
(<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degrowth>a ‘deep’ issue21 in-and-of itself).

By not making the case that it is
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/data/ap/oswald_2020.pdf>a
highly privileged minority22 causing/benefiting
from ecological destruction
<https://www.oxfam.org/sites/www.oxfam.org/files/file_attachments/mb-extreme-carbon-inequality-021215-en.pdf>(see
graph below)23, the film and book miss the
opportunity to state arguments such as:
Oxfam's champagne glass graph of global populatio
Oxfam, ‘Extreme Carbon inequality’, 2015
    * The most affluent
<https://www.oxfam.org/en/research/confronting-carbon-inequality>10%
of the global population24 (OK, that’s mostly us!) cause half the pollution;
    * But even within these most affluent states,
national inequality means
<https://www.pnas.org/content/117/32/19122>wealthy
households emit far more pollution25 than the poorest;
    * Hence pollution is absolutely associated
with
<https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/global-sustainability/article/unequal-distribution-of-household-carbon-footprints-in-europe-and-its-link-to-sustainability/F1ED4F705AF1C6C1FCAD477398353DC2>economic
inequality and consumption26; and,
    * That this skew means the most affluent
states must
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0959378020307512>reduce
consumption by perhaps 90%!27

25. PNAS:
<https://www.pnas.org/content/117/32/19122>‘The
carbon footprint of household energy use in the United States’,
vol.117(32) pp.19122-19130, August 2020
26. Global Sustainability:
<https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/global-sustainability/article/unequal-distribution-of-household-carbon-footprints-in-europe-and-its-link-to-sustainability/F1ED4F705AF1C6C1FCAD477398353DC2>‘The
unequal distribution of household carbon
footprints in Europe and its link to sustainability’,
vol.3 e18, 6th July 2020
27. Global Environmental Change:
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0959378020307512>‘Providing
decent living with minimum energy – A global scenario’,
vol.65 art.102168, November 2020
28. Guardian On-line:
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/apr/19/environment-protest-being-criminalised-around-world-say-experts>‘Environment
protest being criminalised around world, say experts’, 29th April 2021
29. Forbes:
<https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdobson/2020/03/27/billionaire-bunker-owners-are-preparing-for-the-ultimate-underground-escape/>‘Billionaire
Bunker Owners Are Preparing For The Ultimate Underground Escape’,
27th March 2020

In a situation where – both globally but also in
the most polluting states – it is a minority
which is causing these problems, that redefines
its political ‘reality’ in different terms. To be
fair, Barnes strays into this issue at points:

“The ocean is the foundation of life on this
planet. The fact that we’re losing it at the rate
we are is alarming. I think part of the reason
we’re failing is that we ask what is politically
possible more often than we ask what is necessary.”[41:37]

Simple logic demands that this minority urgently
change their lifestyle, lest the majority,
threatened by ecological breakdown, seek to rest
it from them. It is how they do this which is
another live issue. Frankly, that’s not going too well right now:

Currently Western states are
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/apr/19/environment-protest-being-criminalised-around-world-say-experts>seeking
to repress protests28 against the climate
emergency, to forestall calls for more radical change;

While at the same time,
<https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdobson/2020/03/27/billionaire-bunker-owners-are-preparing-for-the-ultimate-underground-escape/>billionaires
create bunkers29 in remote locations to survive
any future backlash from the dispossessed majority.

This creates a powerful incentive for the
‘impoverished majority’ to rest control away from
the economic elite driving ecological breakdown.

The reality is, though, neither Greenpeace, WWF,
nor even Extinction Rebellion, are likely to pick
up that banner any time soon. Their failure to
recognise affluence as a driver for ecological
destruction negates their ability to act to stop
it. Instead tokenistic measures, like renewable
energy, supplant calls for meaningful systemic change.

<http://www.fraw.org.uk/blog/2021/20210507-bright_green_lies.shtml#bookmarks>jump
to bookmarks

Economics versus ecological limits

About half-way through, Max Wilbert elucidates a
truth that doesn’t get nearly enough exposure:

“When people talk about 100% renewable energy
transition to save the planet, to save
civilisation, what they’re actually talking about
is sustaining modern high-energy ways of life, at
the expense of the natural world.”[26:38]
30. Paul Mobbs & MEIR:
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/meir/2019/20191109-the_invisible_footprint_of_digital_tech.html>‘The
Invisible, and Growing Ecological Footprint of Digital Technology’,
January 2020
31. Paul Mobbs & MEIR:
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/meir/ebo_book.html>‘‘Energy
Beyond Oil’ – Could You Cut Your Energy Use by Sixty Percent?’,
June 2005
32. Journal of Cleaner Production:
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/data/ap/grunwald_2016.pdf>‘Diverging
pathways to overcoming the environmental crisis –
A critique of eco-modernism from a technology assessment perspective’,
vol.197(2) pp.1854-1862, October 2018
33. Globalizations:
<https://sci-hub.se/10.1080/14747731.2020.1807856>The
appallingly bad neoclassical economics of climate change,
1st September 2020

I’m sure a number will recognise that from many
of my previous workshops. In fact, I’ve just had
a Facebook post blocked for, ‘violating community
standards’. The offence? It linked
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/meir/2019/20191109-the_invisible_footprint_of_digital_tech.html>to
a summary of the research30 making this same
point; and it’s not the first time that’s happened. It’s a touchy subject!

In 2005, my own book,
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/meir/ebo_book.html>‘Energy
Beyond Oil’31, visited many of the issues
explored in the film/book. In far less detail
though, as there was nowhere near the quantity of
research evidence available back then. What that
also highlights, though, is how over the interim:
‘Bright green’ environmentalism has been
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/data/ap/grunwald_2016.pdf>unable
to comprehend32 the message from this new
research; while at the same time deliberately
deflecting people’s attention towards points of
view which
<https://sci-hub.se/10.1080/14747731.2020.1807856>have
a questionable basis33 for support.

On that point, I think Max Wilbert gives a most
eloquent view for how mainstream environmentalism
sold itself on the altar of green consumerism:

“They want us to believe that consumer choices
are the only way we can change things. But if we
accept that then it means that they’ve won,
because we’re defining ourselves as consumers

I have to buy things within this culture to
survive, and that is not something that defines
me or my power as an actor in this world. I would
say much more fundamentally I am an animal. I
have hands. I have feet. And I can walk places.
And I can do things. And I have a voice. And I
have the ability to speak with people and build a
relationship with people. And I have the ability
to organise. And I have the ability to fight if
need be. These are all much more important than
my ability to buy or not buy something.”[48:28]

Since ‘Planet of the Humans’, many on the ‘bright
green’ side of the aisle have learned a lesson.
Their hysterical condemnation of the film, to the
point of calling for it to be banned, only served
to feed it greater publicity, ensuring more would see it.

Their lack of response this time is perhaps also
due to how well the film exposes the fragility of
their arguments. One of the bright points in the
film was the way in which ‘deep green’ criticisms
were dovetailed alongside interviews with those
they criticised – amplifying the substance of the
disagreement between each side.
34. Energy Research
& Social Science:
<https://sci-hub.se/10.1016/j.erss.2019.01.008>‘Energy
transitions or additions? – Why a transition from
fossil fuels requires more than the growth of renewable energy’,
vol.51 pp.40-43, May 2019

I think my favourite was the segment on
<https://sci-hub.se/10.1016/j.erss.2019.01.008>Richard
York’s research34, showing that growing renewable
energy actually displaces a very minimal level of
fossil fuels. When York’s point was put to David
Suzuki, his reply, which I too have often
received, was, ”So what is the conclusion form an
analysis like that, we shouldn’t do anything?”[24:08]

The film brilliantly explodes this false dilemma.
When pushed, about needing to tackle things
systemically rather than just trying to influence
behaviour, Suzuki’s response was, “yeah, there’s
no question our major impact on the planet now,
not just in terms of energy, is consumption. And
that was a deliberate programme...”[24:26]

When it comes to the ‘liberal’ solutions to the
climate crisis generally, I think Lierre Keith
gives the most perceptive criticism of the
simplistic, ‘bright green’ arguments for change[1:03:23]:
35. Ecological Economics:
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0921800919310067>‘Economics
for the future: Beyond the super-organism’,
vol.169 art.106520, March 2020

“[Capitalism] takes living communities, it
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0921800919310067>converts
those into dead commodities35, and then those
dead commodities are turned into private wealth.
And a lot of people think, well, if we just make
that into public wealth, we all could get an
equal piece of the pie, that’s the solution. The
problem is that’s not going to be a solution
because you’ve still got the first two parts of
that equation. Why are we taking the living
planet and turning it into dead commodities? That’s the problem

It’s the fact that rivers, and grasslands, and
forests, and fish, have been turned into those
dead commodities, that’s the problem.”

Jensen then bookends Keith’s point with another,
straightforward invalidation of the basic premise
of the bright green approach[1:04:33]:
36. Nature:
<https://www.nature.com/articles/461472a>‘A safe operating space for humanity’,
vol.461 pp.472-475,
September 2009

“What do all the so called, ‘solutions’, to
global warming have in common? They all take
industrial capitalism as a given, and so conform
to industrial capitalism. They’ve switched the
dependent and the independent variables. The
world has to be primary, and the health of the
<https://www.nature.com/articles/461472a>world
has to be primary36, because without a world you
don’t have any economy whatsoever. And the bright
greens are very explicit about this. What they’re
trying to save is industrial capitalism,
industrial civilisation. And that’s my
fundamental beef, because what I'm trying to save is the real world.”

<http://www.fraw.org.uk/blog/2021/20210507-bright_green_lies.shtml#bookmarks>jump
to bookmarks

Climate inequality meets decolonialism

Jensen makes an interesting observation towards the end of the film:

“The thing that blows me away is the lengths that
people will go to avoid looking at the problem.
That they will create all these extraordinary
fantasies in order to do something that’s not
going to help the planet so they can avoid
looking at the real issue. Which is that
industrial civilisation itself is what’s killing the planet.”[59:40]

Likewise Barnes astutely characterises the basic
block to progress towards the near end:

“Bright green environmentalism has gained
popularity because it tells a lot of people what
they want to hear. That you can have industrial
civilisation and a planet too. It allows people
to feel good about maintaining this destructive
way of living and to avoid asking hard questions
about the depth of what must be changed.”[1:05:04]

For me, though, it was Keith’s discussion about
what it is ‘civilisation’ is based upon[1:00:02]
which brought a long overdue argument into
circulation: Criticism of the ‘resource island’
model for the modern city, and its inherent link
to the global expropriation and exploitation of land.

Driven by the wealthiest ‘city’ state’s need to
maintain consumption, the inherent ‘neocolonial’
aspects of international climate negotiations are
something the climate lobby too often overlook.
Especially in relation to issues such as carbon
offsets, and the global allocation of carbon
budgets, and their inherent global inequality.
37. Wikipedia:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocolonialism>‘Neocolonialism’
38. Wikipedia:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exterminate_All_the_Brutes_%282021_film%29>‘Exterminate
All The Brutes (2021 film)’
39. Wikipedia:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Darkness>‘Heart of Darkness’

At some point environmental groups must call
‘bullshit’ on these whole
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocolonialism>neocolonial
proceedings37, and start giving equal value to
all humans, irrespective of their present-day
privilege. More importantly, we have to give
ecological capacity, currently occupied by human
societies, back to natural organisms to allow
them sufficient space to live too.

Before ‘Bright Green Lies’ turned up, I had just
seen Raoul Peck’s excellent,
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exterminate_All_the_Brutes_%282021_film%29>‘Exterminate
All The Brutes’38. Coming to the end of ‘Bright
Green Lies’, what startled me was how the two
films arrived at a very similar place. Both
showed similar blocks towards acceptance of the
radical change required, around both ecological change and decolonialism.

To understand Peck’s film it helps to have read,
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Darkness>‘Heart
of Darkness’39. In structuring the film around
the characters in that book, and contrasting it
to The Holocaust, Peck shows how indifference to
European and US colonialism enabled The Holocaust
to take place[Episode 4, 46:57 to 54:11]:

“It is not knowledge that is lacking... The
educated general public has always largely known
what atrocities have been committed and are being
committed in the name of progress, civilization,
socialism, democracy, and the market

At all times, it has also been profitable to deny
or suppress such knowledge
 And when what had
been done in the heart of darkness was repeated
in the heart of Europe, no one recognized it. No
one wished to admit what everyone knew.

Everywhere in the world this knowledge is being
suppressed. Knowledge that, if it were made
known, would shatter our image of the world and
force us to question ourselves. Everywhere there,
Heart of Darkness is being enacted

Black Elk, holy man of the Oglala Lakota people,
said after the Wounded Knee Massacre, ‘I didn’t
know then how much was ended... A people’s dream
died there. It was a beautiful dream. The
nation’s circle is broken and scattered. There is
no centre any longer, and the sacred tree is dead.’”
40. Nature Communications:
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-17928-5>‘Renewable
energy production will exacerbate mining threats to biodiversity’,
vol.11 art.4174,
1st September 2020

There are uncomfortable parallels between Peck’s
insights into Holocaust denial, and the denial of
the crimes of colonialism, and the everyday
denial of the damage that affluence and material
consumption are causing to the entire planet.
 From the horrors of
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-17928-5>resource
mining40, to the devastation of the oceans by
plastics, such evidence represents a constant
‘background noise’ in the modern media. A noise
people have learned to ignore, in order to keep
functioning amidst the cognitive dissonance of
their everyday, disconnected lives.

As Peck says, “It is not knowledge that is
lacking”. People are aware. The fact that they
will not engage with the issue, as outlined in
‘Bright Green Lies’, is that people innately know
the extent of their own complicity. To do so,
‘would shatter our image of the world and force us to question ourselves’.
41. PNAS:
<https://www.pnas.org/content/118/17/e2023483118>‘People
have shaped most of terrestrial nature for at least 12,000 years’,
vol.118(17) no.e2023483118,
27th April 2021

We do not need more ‘evidence’. The block to
ecological change is not simply a lack of
‘knowledge’. It is that many all too well
understand the reality of what
<https://www.pnas.org/content/118/17/e2023483118>stopping
the ecological crisis41 would entail. Trapped by
their subconscious fear for what that would mean
personally, they cannot see a solution to the
psychological dependency engendered by consumerism and industrial society.

Mainstream environmentalism, as the film
outlines, is its own worst enemy. In advocating
ephemeral, consumer-based solutions to tackling
ecological breakdown, it creates its own certain
failure. Unfortunately, unless the counter-point
to that, the ‘deep green’ argument, is able to
give people the confidence to accept and let go
of industrial society, it will not make progress
either. I think this film almost gets there; but
we need to focus far more on the workable,
existing examples of people living outside of
that system to give people the confidence to make
that internal, ‘leap of faith’. For those who
want to follow this road, and perhaps provide
those examples, this film is a good starting point to build from.

<http://www.fraw.org.uk/blog/2021/20210507-bright_green_lies.shtml#bookmarks>jump
to bookmarks

End of the page.
<http://www.fraw.org.uk/blog/2021/20210507-bright_green_lies.shtml#body>jump