[Diggers350] Tinkers Bubble Somerset: Working Steam Engine Repair/Replace Appeal

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Nov 23 13:05:56 GMT 2021

Tinkers Bubble Saw Mill, Somerset
Help Save Our Steam Engine or Suggest A Replacement

http://www.tinkersbubble.org/engine
https://tlio.org.uk/tinkers-bubble-saw-mill-somerset-help-save-our-steam-engine-or-suggest-a-replacement/

Please
<https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-maintain-our-self-sufficient-comunity>donate
now to help save our beautiful steam engine from the knackers yard.
We are planning a promise auction for later in
the year to help raise money, and so are
requesting promises from our wider community.
Have a look
<https://tinkersbubble.wixsite.com/my-site-1/post/tinkers-bubble-promise-auction>here
for more information.

About our steam engine

Tinkers Bubble is a small woodland community in
Somerset, established in 1994. We use
environmentally sound methods of working the land
without a need for fossil fuels. Most of the
fruits of our labour go back into sustaining the
community, but we do sell some produce – mostly
organic apple juice, cider and timber.
<http://www.tinkersbubble.org/images/engine/engine-circ.jpg>
[]

Our engine in happier days. Marshall Britannia No. 88270 was built in 1937

Producing timber here involves managing a 26 acre
woodland in a sustainable way – felling selected
trees with two-person handsaws and axes,
transporting logs with the help of our handsome
horses, and processing these logs on a wood fired steam-powered sawmill.

We have heard that we may be running the only
remaining commercial portable steam engine in the
country. Our steam engine is 83 years old, and
we’ve been using her almost constantly for 26 of
those years. She is now in need of a new lease of
life; a once-in-a-century major refurbishment.

For us to continue to produce timber, and to
continue to act as an example of what is possible
in this country without fossil fuels, we need to
urgently raise the funds to replace the firebox.
We will be carrying out as much of the work as we
can, but the costs are far beyond our reach.

We have a
<https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-maintain-our-self-sufficient-comunity>crowd
funder underway and greatly appreciate all
donations. We will also
<http://www.tinkersbubble.org/engine#updates>update
this page to let you know how on how we are getting on with our repairs!

If you think you might be able to help with the
engineering, please email
<mailto:tinkersbubble at riseup.net>tinkersbubble at riseup.net.
[]

Woodlanders Video

<http://www.woodlanders.com/blog/2017/5/1/episode-7-off-grid-forestry>
[]

  <http://www.woodlanders.com/blog/2017/5/1/episode-7-off-grid-forestry>
Click here to see Woodlanders excellent video of
our sustainable forestry operation, including
footage of the steam engine sawmill in operation.

Updates on our progress

An Escalation

Bad news, folks. Ole' Steamy requires a little
more attention than first expected. If new tubes,
firebox, tube-plate and a good dollop of molten
metal wasn't enough, the other tube-plate and
most of the outer jacket had better be. We got
the news a week or so after her triumphant shift
over to James in Shaftesbury who gave her a good
tickle with a needle gun and got the inspector in
to see what was left. A combination of age, good
use and poor maintenance means the metal of the
outer shell of the boiler has corroded down to
less than 6mm. On a vessel running at almost
150psi for most of the day I can assure you more
than 6mm of metal holding everything together is
a good idea (not to mention legal).

To get Ole' Steamy from the stripped down
condition she now finds herself in to belted up
and running the saw-bench again puts our funding
aim up to £20,000. On hearing the bad news and
the advice from both James and Dave the inspector
to "maybe-perhaps-a-good-idea-might-be... to find
a new one?" my heart sunk and my head hit the desk. But, we forge on.

This last in a line of set-backs really shook the
boat. So much so I started considering other
alternatives. There is some pretty nifty little
electric saw-benches out there and even feasibly
within range of a decent solar set-up. Other
ideas included stationary steam engines,
generators, gasification units and hydro via our
little stream but its fair to say nothing quite
inspires the glint in the eye of a volunteer like
a dirty green fire-breathing behemoth (ignoring
the smutty, sweaty Bubbler shoving douglas up the back end).

So even though this seems yet more of a mountain
(like contemplating the weeding of Greg's carrot
bed) we will rise with the morning dew, put on
our boots and cap (sometimes nothing else) and
get out there and do it. We need to get this
money raised to get Ole' steamy back. There is
not enough thanks that can be conveyed by
technology for what everyone has already done for
us during this mammoth task. I am incredibly
grateful for the advice and support I have
received while figuring out the work the steam
engine has needed and all the possible
alternatives. And, of course, a great big
thank-you to everyone who has already donated.
Although we are asking for more, it in no way
lessens the value of that initial push.

To get 'Ole steamy back we are also doing
fundraising-style open days,
<https://tinkersbubble.wixsite.com/my-site-1/post/tinkers-bubble-promise-auction>a
promise auction, and probably other exciting
things so please keep an eye on our
<http://www.tinkersbubble.org/Events>events page.

The Steam Engine off to the yard

<http://www.tinkersbubble.org/images/engine/flatbed.jpg>

The steam engine leaving site

And there she went, rolling a little from side to side as if to wave.
“Goodbye. We’ll see you soon” is whispered

After a weekend filled with farewells from The
Bubble our steam engine sat wistfully on the back
of a recovery truck, heading off for a brief rest
and a serious overhaul at a workshop over in Shaftesbury.

The removal of ‘Ole Steamy’ was a typically
Bubble-esque challenge but ended with a very
un-Bubble like smooth operation. From the moment
we opened the firebox 8 months ago to find steam
escaping where it really did not need to be
escaping we wanted to do this our way: no fossil
fuels and do as much as we could ourselves. Sadly
that lofty cliff was eroded as the damage
extended to the tube plate and then the entire
firebox. Consulting with professional steam
engineers revealed the scope of the challenge and
the extent of the work required. Work far beyond
our abilities or technologies. Ole’ Steamy needed
serious surgery and was going to require a workshop to make it possible.

During the diagnosis, however, we did manage to
get our hands dirty. And our faces. And, somehow,
the backs of our necks, behind our ears and more
than one arm pit. We were able to cut out the old
corroded tubes and with the help of a local steam
hero (Mark Fry) managed to remove the front rivets and the firebox.

Now. I’m a simple bloke. Raised in Yorkshire.
Give me a hammer, show me where to hit and I’ll
keep it up most of the day, rain or shine. So for
me the heat, the noise and the achy muscles from
banging out rivets and twisting, grunting and
levering out the firebox was (maybe oddly) quite
enjoyable and well within my abilities but after
the sweat and the toil comes the work. Now the real mountain emerged.

<http://www.tinkersbubble.org/images/engine/phil.jpg>
The engine stripped down and ready to leave site

The quote came in. We have to raise almost
£14,000 to get Ole’ Steamy from the sorry state
in which she sat back to a working engine in its
prime. She had to get over to Shaftesbury, get
new metal fitted and old metal fettled then
tested and back again. With the sawmill out of
action our main source of income was halted.
Barring miraculously finding a pot of gold (not
out of the question: remember when the horses
ploughed up that sword?) we needed to ask for
help from the wider world. Fundraising had to get us back our steam engine.

If the fundraising wasn’t daunting enough (it is)
we also had to shift the old girl from her
pasture. It wasn’t like she hadn’t been moved
before (a number of years ago in a change of saw
bench she shuffled from the barn to her own
personal lean-to) but she hadn’t left the land in
26 years. To make things worse the unwritten
(un-holy) law of Bubble accumulation meant there
was a fair amount of clearing up to do before she
could move. Worries mounted as we looked at the
track she had to leave on and the subsidence of the car park.

But it had to be done and when a job needs doing
you just have to do it (after a cup of tea). The
way through was cleared, including the
dismantling of an old planer (which has headed
over to Zig-Zag for an interesting sounding
project) and the old girl’s lean-to was
dismantled (safely, of course). Before we knew it
2021 was here. Forestry weekends were blooming,
coppicing was wet but musical and the sauna got a
new burner. The sun seemed to linger longer, the
trees dared to wink awake and the little motes of
life we live among scampered hither and thither.
<http://www.tinkersbubble.org/images/engine/pulling2.jpg>
A human-powered steam engine

Then Ole Steamy was ready for her holiday. A very
friendly and enthusiastic breakdown company (DMS
Vehicle Logistics) were eager to move her and the
amazing Mark from Bagnell farm volunteered to
help haul her out with tractor power. On the last
forestry weekend the old girl was prepped and
ready to go. We had twenty or so people on site
including residents and volunteers so in one last
ditch effort to do it ourselves and to do it
fossil fuel free we got everyone on a rope.

Twenty something smiley faces poked out from
behind one another as I looked behind me. In
front of me stood the majestic if slightly naked
and sheepish looking three and a half ton steam
engine. She was surrounded by parts of her that
should be on the inside and she had sunk over the
years into a bed of soft loamy sawmill cut-offs. I’ll be honest: I doubted.
<http://www.tinkersbubble.org/images/engine/pulling.jpg>
A human-powered steam engine

But someone (probably Bobby) struck up a shanty,
I felt the line go taught, I gripped as tight as
I could, dug in my heels and I pulled.
We all pulled.
And she moved!
An inch at first, if even that, but she moved.
She was as surprised as us (I think someone fell
over). With the second pull a further two inches
was gained and on the third pull we could drag her.

Ole’ Steamy was free and ready to go. I would
like to say we dragged her all the way down the
lane and took a trip to Shaftesbury but
unfortunately, with no brakes, she had to be
pulled by tractor to get her down the car park
and on to the truck. The camber of the slope into
the car park and the grip of metal wheels on old
stone gave us worry but with only a little wiggle
from her behind and a little slide here and there
she was expertly manoeuvred down the slope by Mark and winched onto the truck.
<http://www.tinkersbubble.org/images/engine/flatbed2.jpg>
Gently does it

And so the final farewell on a weekend that heard
goodbyes from Pedro, Charlie, and horses Charlie
and Jim was for a member of the community that
has stood stalwart almost since the Bubble began.
Of course it is not a final farewell for Ole’
Steamy. With everyone’s help she’ll be back in a
few months time, shiny and ready to sing,
providing sustainable and responsibly managed
timber for all kinds of projects. This is a big
thank-you to everyone who has already donated
(but also a plea to keep the
<https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-maintain-our-self-sufficient-comunity>crowd
funder moving!) and an even bigger thank you to
everyone involved in getting her back on her feet:

James Duncombe over in Shaftesbury who is doing the engineering
Mark Fry for helping us remove the firebox and general steamy advice
Mark over at Bagnell Farm for expertly driving
her out (Also for the burgers we sometimes get from them)
Iain and team at DMS Vehicle Logistics for
threading the big 18 ton lorry down our bumpy lane

PS. I reckon the return of Ole’ faithful will
warrant a cider party so lets keep the fundraiser going, yes?

Removing the old firebox

<http://www.tinkersbubble.org/images/engine/remove-firebox03.jpg>

The firebox had to be cut into 3 pieces.

The past few days have seen Phil and Greg
removing the firebox, with the help of local steam expert Mark.

To detach the firebox from the body of the
engine, we first had to remove the rivets. This
seemed easy enough and we set to cutting the tops
of the rivets off with an angle grinder, using
mains electric from our neighbours. Unfortunately
they just wouldn't shift, no matter hard we
whacked them, so we had to borrow an oxy-cutter
to melt the rivets before we could pop them out.

Even without the rivets at the front end, the
rivets at the other end of the firebox meant that
the box wouldn't slide out, so we had to cut it into pieces.
<http://www.tinkersbubble.org/images/engine/remove-firebox02.jpg>
Winching out the firebox pieces.

Despite years of corrosion, the metal is still
almost 1/2 an inch (12mm) thick and very heavy.
Even with the firebox cut into 3 pieces, it took
several hours to winch the pieces out.

Now we await the verdict of our boiler inspector
- Is the engine worth saving? Do we need to patch
up the bottom of the engine? How much will it all cost?
<http://www.tinkersbubble.org/images/engine/remove-firebox-04.jpg>
Levering pieces to stop them catching
<http://www.tinkersbubble.org/images/engine/no-firebox.jpg>
Empty engine
<http://www.tinkersbubble.org/images/engine/firebox-pieces.jpg>
All the pieces removed

Boiler inspection calamity

Everything was set to go. All the old boiler
tubes painfully removed, engine cleaned out, new
tubes purchased at great expense and ready to go
in - all that was needed was the approval of our lovely boiler inspector Dave.

As he started looking at the boiler plate that
holds the tubes, things were not sounding good.
It has got too thin - it might take the tubes,
but there's a good chance it would collapse - and
then we would have to try to get our brand new tubes out without damaging them.

We were contemplating this risk, but then the
final blow arrived. Part of the firebox is down
to 6mm, from 1/2" (12.5mm) when it was built in
1937 - it is right on the safety limit and is
unlikely to make it another 10 years until the
tubes need replacing again. The firebox needs to be replaced.

We knew that it would go one day, but we had
always thought it was ten or twenty years away
and we would have put enough money away by then.
It's the one big operation an engine needs and
it's not cheap. If we pay an engineer to do the
whole job for us, it might cost over £30,000 - as
much as a new steam engine. Even if we do most of
the work, it's going to cost thousands - far more
than we can afford - and some of the work is
beyond our abilities. It's a bleak day for our beloved engine.

Removing the tubes

During our last sawing, water started leaking out
of some of the boiler tubes - never a good sign.
One of the local steam experts, Jerry, confirmed
our suspicions - the boiler tubes needed to be
replaced. It was about time, this set had lasted for exactly 10 years.

"Just cut 'em with an oxy cutter and wiggle them
out with a bar - should take about a day"

Well, as always, we wanted to avoid using fossil
fuels to do the job, so we started off with a
hack saw. Soon realised that there was no way it
was going to fit in the space. Next stop, we
borrowed a battery powered angle grinder that we
could charge with our solar panels. The battery
died before we got through the first tube - at
that rate it was going to take two months to get the 36 tubes out...

Next we borrowed a mains angle grinder, wired up
an extension cable and borrowed some electricity
from our neighbours on the grid. It's pretty
scary - you have to reach in through the tiny
access hatch, holding the angle grinder with one
hand and barely able to see what you are doing.
The cutting discs aren't large enough to cut
through the whole tube, so first you have to cut
out a little window in the tube and then cut
through the other half. Sometimes the grinder
kicks. To start with I thought I was going to lose my hand.
<http://www.tinkersbubble.org/images/engine/tubes.jpg>
[]

We finally removed all of the tubes.

After an hour or so, we had managed to cut
through one tube. Next we had to try to remove
it. We whacked it as hard as we could. Nothing.
Stuck a 4 foot bar in the end and wiggled.
Nothing. Tried levering through the tiny
inspection hatch. Still nothing but some bruised
fingers. Eventually after another hour or so of
levering, wiggling and whacking, we got the two
halves of the tube out. Somewhat better than the
battery angle grinder, but at this rate it was
still going to take 100 plus hours work...

Of course, over time our technique improved and
before long we were removing one tube every hour
or so. The angle grinder didn't get any less
scary, but I still have most of my fingers.
Within 3 days we had all but ten of the tubes
out. The last ones were too far to reach, so we
had to call in outside help. Another local steam
enthusiast, Rob, came with an oxy-cutter to
remove the last 10 tubes. This time it only took
about 15 minutes to cut through each tube, but it
was no easier to wiggle the tubes out - and after
an afternoon, we had cut through them all but still had 4 to remove.

Fortunately by now we had a volunteer small
enough to climb through the access hatch (thanks
Martha!) and lever the rest out.