[Diggers350] Sat 02 Oct 2021 MANCHESTER Drive 2 Survive Rally Tory Conference

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Sep 8 00:47:05 BST 2021

UK ROMANY GYPSIES: WE WILL NOT GO QUIETLY INTO THE HISTORY BOOKS

https://tlio.gn.apc.org/uk-romany-gypsies-we-will-not-go-quietly-into-the-history-books/
Attend the National Drive 2 Survive Rally at the
time of the Tory Conference in Piccadilly
Gardens, Manchester, at 1pm on Saturday October 2 2021.
<https://tlio.gn.apc.org/uk-romany-gypsies-we-will-not-go-quietly-into-the-history-books/>7
SEPTEMBER 2021
<https://tlio.gn.apc.org/author/tony/>TONY
GOSLING
<https://tlio.gn.apc.org/uk-romany-gypsies-we-will-not-go-quietly-into-the-history-books/#respond>LEAVE
A COMMENT

On Romany Holocaust Memorial Day, JAKE BOWERS
warns that the new laws now being levelled at
Britain’s Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities
by the Police Bill once again threaten an entire people’s way of life
<https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/f/we-will-not-go-quietly-into-the-history-books>
[]
Romani prisoners at Belzec camp, 1940

<https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/f/we-will-not-go-quietly-into-the-history-books>https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/f/we-will-not-go-quietly-into-the-history-books

TODAY is Romany Holocaust Memorial Day ­ yet ask
most lifelong anti-racists what the significance
of August 2 is and they will be puzzled.

For our history, just like our plight, remains one of Europe’s dirty secrets.

So come with me, if you will, on a journey into
the past of Europe’s 12 million Romany people
because we desperately need your help to secure a
better future. Because history does not always
exactly repeat itself, but in 2021 it is starting to rhyme.

On this day, in 1944, 4,300 Romanies were
murdered at the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp.

They were taken during the night from their
barracks to the gas chamber by SS guards.

The mass killing was a reprisal on the community
who led a desperate uprising at the death camp.

Just months earlier, on May 16, Romany prisoners
of the so-called Zigeunerlager (Gypsy camp),
having heard of the imminent liquidation of the
camp, stood up against the Nazi guards armed with
only hammers, pickaxes and shovels.

As a result of their defiance, no Roma died in
the gas chambers on that day. The Romany revolt
against the Nazis is the only recorded uprising
in Auschwitz and is now commemorated as Romani Resistance Day.

We still do not know how many of us died in the
Holocaust. Unlike the Jewish community, many of
our ancestors could not read or write, so few independent records were kept.

Estimates range from 500,000 to 1.5 million
people, their lives and stories are often lost
within German statistics of those “remaining to be liquidated.”

We were the only other racial minority alongside
the Jewish community specifically subjected to
the Nazi “final solution” ­ and a similar
percentage of the Romany and Jewish community was eradicated.

But there the parallels end, because what the
intervening decades have taught us is that some
inequalities are sadly far more equal than others.

So today we will weep for those we lost, but
tomorrow we must again pick up the shovels.

Across Europe a mudslide of racist violence is
once again engulfing our people. From Hungary to
Britain, right-wing governments are once again
scapegoating our people ­ and the results can be lethal.

In the Czech Republic, Romany man Stanislav Tomas
died in Teplice on June 19 2021, after a Czech
police officer knelt on his neck for six minutes.

In images comparable to the murder of George
Floyd in the US, the video went viral, prompting
Romanies across Europe to protest police violence.

The Czech Republic authorities deny any
wrongdoing and the police were praised by the
interior minister for their good work.

After the Council of Europe called for an
independent investigation, the Czech president
said he had no reason to doubt the results of the
internal investigation, which found the police
officers’ behaviour to be correct.

In New York, Berlin, Brussels, Glasgow, London,
Vienna and in countless cities across eastern
Europe where Romany populations are big and
growing, Romanies are demanding justice for Stanislav and themselves.

Directly inspired by the Black Lives Matter
movement, a Roma Lives Matter movement has seen
thousands of Romany people demand better treatment on the streets.

For many of us the end of the Holocaust did not
lead to turning point in our treatment and life
chances. Those who had survived the Nazis were
soon forcibly settled and assimilated into urban
deprivation by Stalinist regimes.

In recent decades, the forced sterilisation of
Romany women, poverty and over-representation in
state care and special schools for Romany kids
and deeply ingrained prejudice have kept us moving.

Such racism has led to a huge wave of Romany
migration to western Europe. This has led to a
doubling of the British Gypsy, Roma and Traveller
population to at least 600,000 people.

But Britain is no safe haven. The hostile
environment experienced by Britain’s Gypsy, Roma
and Traveller community for over 500 years has recently been cranked up.

Priti Patel’s Police, Crime, Sentencing and
Courts Bill not only limits the right to protest,
but also seeks to completely outlaw nomadic Gypsy and Traveller culture.

If passed it will entirely eradicate nomadic life
in Britain, giving police the power to seize
Gypsy and Traveller homes and fine Gypsies and
Travellers up to £2,500 ­ and imprison those
needing to follow a nomadic way of life because
of a lack of safe, legal stopping places.

On July 7 over 1,000 community members gathered
in the shadow of the statues of Mahatma Gandhi,
Nelson Mandela and suffragette Millicent Fawcett
in Parliament Square to kick-start the Drive 2
Survive campaign that will roll from Westminster
to the Appleby Fair (the world’s largest Gypsy
horse fair) in August in Cumbria, to the
Conservative Party Conference in Manchester in October 2021.

Much as Gandhi, Mandela and Fawcett used direct
action to fight for equality, Gypsy and Traveller
community members will resist the outlawing of
our cultures. Our communities have unified to
fight the Bill, but we desperately need your help to stop it.

“As nomadic people that have roamed the lands we
have lived on for our whole recorded history, to
suddenly be told our way of life has no place in
society is totally wrong and hurtful,” says Irish
Traveller activist Chris McDonagh.

“We all live in a country that is supposedly
proud of its acceptance and equality for all
ethnicities and minorities, but we now see this
is a lie. We are people and we deserve to live
our lives as we always have. We deserve to exist.”

The Drive 2 Survive Campaign’s first aim is the
scrapping of part four of the Bill that creates a
criminal law of trespass and dramatically
increases police powers over anyone residing on
land that they do not have permission to be on.

We believe that the draconian powers within the
1994 Criminal Justice and Public Order Act that
already lock nomadic Gypsies and Travellers into
a cycle of trespass and eviction and do not need strengthening but repealing.

Patel cannot ignore the fact that police powers
are already too excessive. It’s not just Gypsies,
Roma and Travellers who are resisting these new
powers, but representatives from the National Police Chiefs Council.

In evidence to the committee stage of the Police
Bill, the community and the police were united in
calling for a better way of resolving the
conflict around a lack of stopping places.

The community takes the threat of the new
legislation so seriously that it has organised
the first Romani Kris (council of elders) in
decades to debate and decide a unified response to Patel’s Bill at Appleby.

Hereditary Appleby Fair organiser Billy Welch
sees a direct parallel with the state violence
that Romany populations were subjected to before
the Holocaust, because before the death camps
came the outlawing of nomadic life across the Third Reich.

“The people I represent are anxious about these
proposals and with good reason. They are
reminiscent of Nazi Germany in the 1930s and the
start of the process of ethnic cleansing in which
Gypsies were forced off the road by fines and imprisonment.

“Their horses and vehicles were confiscated,
which eventually led to them being sent to death
camps or murdered on the side of the road.

“There are still many Gypsies alive who lost
their families in that Holocaust and they have
not forgotten ­ this is how it began.

“All of what was done then was legal in the eyes
of the Nazis, but history teaches us clearly that
just because something is legal, doesn’t make it right.”

This summer we will show the Conservative Party
that we will not go quietly into the history
books ­ in fact we will not be going at all.

To show your solidarity with the Drive 2 Survive
Campaign, come to Appleby Horse Fair in Cumbria between August 12 and 15

attend the National Drive 2 Survive Rally at the
time of the Tory Conference in Piccadilly
Gardens, Manchester, at 1pm on Saturday October 2 2021.

Jake Bowers is a Romany journalist. For more
information see
<http://www.drive2survive.org.uk/>www.drive2survive.org.uk
and <http://www.proudroma.org/>www.proudroma.org