[Diggers350] The National Trust is trying to eliminate livestock farming by pushing tenants out for 'pantheist' rewilding projects

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Aug 2 01:50:25 BST 2022

The National Trust is trying to eliminate
livestock farming by pushing tenants out for 'pantheist' rewilding projects

https://tlio.org.uk/the-national-trust-is-trying-to-eliminate-livestock-farming-by-pushing-tenants-out-for-rewilding-projects/
https://www.fwi.co.uk/business/business-management/tenancies-rents/national-trust-rewilding-projects-leaves-tenants-feel-pushed-out

Several farming tenants and the Tenant Farmers
Association (TFA) are concerned by what they see
as the over-zealous way in which the National
Trust is taking productive agricultural land back in-hand for rewilding.

Farmers Weekly talks to some tenants who have
lost the land they have farmed for years.

See also:
<https://www.fwi.co.uk/business/business-management/tenancies-rents/why-farm-tenants-are-criticising-national-trust-landlords>Why
farm tenants are criticising National Trust landlords

Devon farmer leaves after 28 years

Patrick Greed, who farms on the Killerton Estate
in Devon, feels he has “betrayed agriculture”
after accepting an incentive from the National
Trust to give up his Agricultural Holdings Act (AHA) tenancy after 28 years.

As well as the main 160ha holding he farmed, he
had another 60ha of river meadow grazing on a Farm Business Tenancy (FBT).

“The National Trust kept renewing it every five
or 10 years, depending upon what environmental
stewardship schemes we were in,” he says.

“Most recently, we had been in Higher Level
Stewardship and once that ended, they decided to
take it back for tree planting, scrapes and rewilding.”

Loss of this land meant 61-year-old Mr Greed had
to reduce his Limousin suckler herd. “We had 550
head (cows and followers) before we lost the river meadows. Now we have 340.”

[]

Mr Greed’s pedigree limousin © Patrick Greed

With it becoming increasingly difficult to farm
the land productively, alongside TB risks and
greater public use of the land, Mr Greed accepted
the incentive to quit and will leave the farm next year.

But he is uneasy about the direction the National Trust is taking.

“It is not reletting it as a farm. It plans to do
a lot of tree planting on the main holding. But
just over 120ha of it is Grade 1 and 2 arable land.

“It [the National Trust] even wants to plant
trees on some of the permanent pasture. It is
wrong. Farmers ought to be producing as much food as possible from this land.”

Mr Greed is not alone. Land agent Kevin Bateman,
director of Bateman Hosegood, has come across
numerous cases, particularly in the past two
years, where the National Trust has taken back
tenanted land for rewilding and tree planting.

“It feels like re-enactment of the Highland clearances – a land grab,” he says.

Typically, tenants are finding that their FBTs,
which have been historically renewed, are being
taken back in-hand, which is significantly
affecting the viability of some businesses.

“And some tenants with AHA tenancies are being
offered cash incentives to give them up too, says Mr Bateman.

“The policy feels like it is financially driven,
with the trust targeting big grants for
landscape-scale nature recovery at the expense of its tenanted farms.

It sees this as a way of creating significant
income for itself. However, it does not
understand the implications for the farming
businesses and family homes that it is effectively destroying,” he explains.

“The way it is doing this suggests that it has
complete contempt for the farmers who have farmed the land for generations.”

Cornwall farmer feels ‘destroyed’

When Tom Hasson, 42, and his partner Becki
Prouse, 37, took on the 220ha mixed farm FBT in
Stowe Barton, Cornwall seven years ago – having
farmed 60-80ha of it for 14 years – they fully expected to continue.
[]

Tom Hasson and family © Tom Hasson

“When we took it on, the National Trust said it
wanted to let it to a young farming family like
us. In June last year, we went with a proposal to
renew our Mid-Tier stewardship and tenancy,” says Mr Hasson.

“So it came as a bombshell when the trust said it
had different plans for the premises. It wanted
to take all the land back and create a nature
reserve with agricultural production as a
‘by-product’ rather than the main aim.”

At their last meeting, the National Trust
suggested running 50 head of cattle over 220ha on
a year-to-year grazing licence.

“But there would be no security and how could we
get an income when they would be taking the
payments? Our plans are up in the air,” says Mr Hasson.

“It has totally destroyed us and upset the kids.”
Ms Prouse agrees: “There is no recognition of what we have done. I feel empty.”

Devon farm goes to public access

Echoing this sentiment is Tim Jankins, who came
out of his 180ha mixed farm FBT on the South
Devon Estate, near Plymouth, in November last year.
[]

Tim Jakins © Moostones

“We were there for 25 years. The National Trust
approached us in 2018 when our tenancy was up for
renewal and said we couldn’t renew it on the previous terms,” he says.

“It wanted a large amount of public access, and to rewild some of it.

“My gut reaction told me to get out. I’d put a
lifetime’s savings into it and I didn’t want to
be there when it reverted back to whatever it was
supposed to be reverting back to.”

He has since heard that the farmhouse is empty
and that there are many weeds on the farm. “It is
good, productive land,” he adds.

“We used to supply a good amount of beef and
lamb, with grain going to local feed mills. This
now has to be brought in from further away, which
doesn’t help the carbon footprint.”

TFA: ‘Wrong-headed’ policy

Tenant Farmers Association (TFA) chief executive
George Dunn says that what is happening to some tenants is devastating.

“They have put their heart and soul into a place,
hoping to get some sort of tenancy renewal and
are told this is not going to happen.

“People are bringing up families on these farms,
they are involved in local communities and go to local schools.”

While he is aware of conversations on other
National Trust estates, Mr Dunn says the
situation is most potent in the South West,
particularly affecting coastal properties.

“The Trust is focusing attention on what it
considers is needed for biodiversity net gain and
carbon reduction. It doesn’t see these farms as
particularly important from an agricultural perspective.”

The TFA thinks the policy is entirely
wrong-headed. “It is a vanity project driven by
the current media frenzy around rewilding, which
in our view is not based on sound science,” says Mr Dunn.

The TFA is also challenging Defra over spending public money on such projects.

“The government’s objective is to maintain the
landlord/tenant system in agriculture.

“If a landlord like the National Trust decides to
bring someone’s occupation of a farm to an end,
it shouldn’t have access to public funding for
planting trees and rewilding,” Mr Dunn suggests.

He advises tenants who have been approached about
giving up their tenancy not to go quietly and to
speak up for what they believe to be right.

“Contact the TFA,” he adds. “We are building a
database to help lobby the National Trust on a
joint basis – the more cases we have, the better.”

National Trust insists it values its tenants

The National Trust says it wants to make its land
“better for nature”, to help tackle the nature and climate crisis.

“We want to create and restore 25,000ha for
nature on our land by 2025 – work started in
2017. This means we may retain land in-hand,
often temporarily, to reset the management model,” says a spokesman.

Any payments made as incentives to surrender
tenancies are from National Trust funds, and each
case is considered in its local context.

The trust denies taking land back so it can claim
future Landscape Recovery or other environmental grants.

“If we hold land in-hand, it is with a view to
taking some time to plan its future use and
management,” the spokesman explains.

“When we decide to make changes to our land, we
look at the different options available to
support any capital investments needed and to
secure appropriate long-term management.

“We anticipate future funding will come from a
variety of sources and that rental income will
continue to be part of that mix.”

The National Trust says it is acutely aware of
the impact on tenants when tenancies are not
renewed. “We work hard to support our tenants
with the challenges they face as a result of this,” it insists.