[Diggers350] William Cobbett’s Dream Of A ‘Brave Old World’ : Why Britain Needs A Peasants’ Revolt

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sun Jul 24 13:43:40 BST 2022

William Cobbett’s Dream Of A ‘Brave Old World’:
Why Britain Needs A Peasants’ Revolt

<https://tlio.org.uk/william-cobbetts-dream-of-a-brave-old-world-why-britain-needs-a-peasants-revolt/>24
July 2022 <https://tlio.org.uk/author/tony/>Tony
Gosling -
<https://tlio.org.uk/william-cobbetts-dream-of-a-brave-old-world-why-britain-needs-a-peasants-revolt/#respond>Leave
a comment
https://tlio.org.uk/william-cobbetts-dream-of-a-brave-old-world-why-britain-needs-a-peasants-revolt/

Why Britain needs a peasants’ revolt

<https://unherd.com/2020/08/the-uk-needs-a-peasants-revolt/>To
become more self-sufficient, we must listen to
William Cobbett and his dream of a ‘Brave Old World’

Emacs!

John Lewis-Stempel

BY <https://unherd.com/author/john-lewis-stempel/>John Lewis-Stempel

If you leave England via the Severn bridge and
drive through Wales’ Wye Valley, on a road
parallel with the river, you will come to a
settlement central to the history of these isles:
Monmouth. I should warn you: it is a tad twee. It
has an M&S Simply Food and a Waitrose. It’s that
sort of small town. I should, also, declare my
interest: one of my ancestors, a hardcase Welsh
Borders esquire called John ap Harri, fought at
Agincourt alongside Henry V, the warrior king who
was born in Monmouth castle. So I confess to
experiencing a small frisson of pride every time
I go down Monmouth’s charming main (and almost only) street.

If, like the ap Harris and their descendants, you
appreciate a ruck then ­ despite its genteel,
beside-the-languid-Wye ambience ­ Monmouth is
your kind of town. As well as the castle ruins,
there is the Nelson Museum ­ the victor of the
Nile and Trafalgar performed quite a lot of
trysting with Emma Hamilton hereabouts. But my
own personal place of “have-a-go” pilgrimage is
the Wetherspoons situated (of course) on Agincourt Square.

I am an expert on that watering hole, The King’s
Head, a rambling coaching inn dating from the
17th century, since I spent multitudinous hours
under its stuccoed ceilings during the interval
between collecting one child from
Extra-Curricular Activity A at 5pm and waiting
for the other to finish Extra-Curricular Activity
B at 9pm. (We sometimes even spent the night in
the pub, rather than do the 50-mile round trip
home and back again to school in the morning.
Country life, eh?) There are advantages to
Wetherspoons, I find: their reputation as
déclassé keeps out sanctimonious snobs. You are
pretty safe from Emily Thornberry in a Wetherspoons.

I have digressed. The truest reason I love The
King’s Head is that William Cobbett once gave a
lecture there: an event commemorated by a nice
print on the wall of the man ­ in red jacket,
white britches and black boots, all properly
Georgian ­ and a bit of accompanying biographical text.

The wall dedicated to William Cobbett in Monmouth’s Wetherspoon’s.

Cobbett was a scrapper on the same majestic scale
as our Henry V and our Horatio, except he dished
it out to Vested Interest rather than Jean-Pierre
Foreigner. He is the faded star of the British
Awkward Squad (Capt. Jon. Swift; Vice Capt. Geo.
Orwell) and he needs a boost. He needs a blue
plaque on every place he ever visited. In his
long life ­ he was born in 1763 and died in 1835
­ Cobbett was a farmer, Tory, soldier, Radical,
MP, agony uncle (his books include
<https://www.gutenberg.org/files/15510/15510-h/15510-h.htm>Advice
to Young Men), and the founder of
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hansard>Hansard.

His obituary in The Times, after categorising him
as a “self-taught peasant”,
<https://www.jstor.org/stable/27544037>declared
Cobbett “by far the most voluminous writer that
has ever lived for centuries”. The funniest, too:
when some town council somewhere banned his
anti-Malthusian play
<https://www.amazon.co.uk/Surplus-Population-Poor-Law-Bill/dp/0948688076>Surplus
Population, he riposted with a drama entitled Bastards in High Places.

Above all, though, Cobbett was the champion of
the rural poor, the village labourer and the
small farmer. He was their one true tribune. He
spoke at The King’s Head in 1820 because country
folk were suffering a triple wham from
agricultural depression, enclosure and the rise
of agri-business. Or, to precis, “Hodge” (his
name for the generic farm worker) was low-waged
or unwaged and deprived of the bits of land he
had once enjoyed under commoner’s rights.

Cobbett railed against “The Thing” (the
capitalist, manufactory system) and the
centrifugal, corrupting force of smoky London
(“The Wen”, in Cobbettian). But he was no
bloviator: he was a farm boy, and hence entirely
empirical and properly pragmatic. He spent a
decade travelling around the English sticks to
discover the true state of affairs. His
descriptions of his horseback journeys were
published in 1830 as
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rural_Rides>Rural
Rides, the first sociological study of the English countryside.

No dry-as-dust tome by the way, the Rides: it
brims with pinned-to-the-specimen-board
descriptions of people and places, nature, wit.
Cobbett knew beauty and, the proper Englishman that he was, he loved horses:

The finest sight in England is a stage coach
ready to start. A great sheep or cattle fair is a
beautiful sight; but in the stage coach you see
more of what man is capable of performing. The
vehicle itself, the harness, all so complete and
so neatly arranged; so strong and clean and good.
The beautiful horses, impatient to be off. The
inside full and the outside covered, in every
part with men, women, children, boxes, bags,
bundles. The coachman taking his reins in hand
and his whip in the other, gives a signal with
his foot, and away go, at the rate of seven miles an hour.

One of these coaches coming in, after a long
journey is a sight not less interesting. The
horses are now all sweat and foam, the reek from
their bodies ascending like a cloud. The whole
equipage is covered perhaps with dust and dirt.
But still, on it comes as steady as the hands on a clock.

Speaking at The King’s Head coaching inn in
Monmouth must have been the dream gig for Cobbett the horseman.

When you go to that Wetherspoons yourself, take a
copy of Rural Rides with you, sit under Cobbett’s
portrait, and ask yourself the following
question. Given all the Westminster-overlooked
problems of British country people in 2020 ­ from
the absence of public transport to abundance of
second-homers ­ who speaks for us now? Where is
our champion, our Cobbett? The one of us who can speak for us? Where?

Cobbett’s solution to the woes of the Regency
rural poor was a return to a barter-based
Medieval economy under gent paternalists with a
sense of noblesse oblige, plus Parliamentary
voting reform, creating a Britain where there
would be “room for us all, and  plenty for us to
eat and to drink”. In the bon mot of
<https://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Adventures-William-Cobbett/dp/0006388256>his
biographer Richard Ingrams, Cobbett sought a “Brave Old World”.

Even in the 19thcentury, the call to go “back to
the land” ­ vacating the towns and dismantling
the factory system ­ was unrealisable nostalgia.
But that is not to say that Cobbett’s proposals
were meritless. One in particular needs dusting
down today: self-sufficiency, as promoted in his
manual and manifesto,
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottage_Economy>Cottage Economy.

Of course ­ and I hear your sniggers ­
self-sufficiency has become a Tom-and-Barbara
Good Life laugh, if a slightly strangled one now
that, due to Covid “collapsology”, your
neighbours are fleeing the Wen for a house with a
large garden in Norfolk. If you truly believe
self-sufficiency too quaint, ponder this: in
France some 20% of the fresh produce consumed is
still raised in the kitchen garden, the potager.
Then ponder this also: during Covid, France’s
newspapers declared
<https://www.sudouest.fr/2020/05/08/potagers-et-jardins-les-stars-du-confinement-7468201-4051.php>“Potagers
et jardins, les stars du confinement”. Well,
obviously. Soul, stomach, sense of self-reliance,
re-connection to healing nature all satisfied by
a quarter of an acre. Every one of psychologist
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow%27s_hierarchy_of_needs>Abraham
Maslow’s “Hierarchy of Needs” ticked. Voila!

Actually, self-sufficiency, autarchy, backyard
farming ­ call it what you like ­ is a venerable
British tradition. Once upon a time governments
even sponsored self-sufficiency via Smallholdings
Acts authorising acquisition of land for those
wanting to grow their own. Between 1908 and 1914
alone,
<https://www.jstor.org/stable/3741490>205,103
acres were purchased in England and Wales for
smallholders and allotmenteers. In return for
service in the Great War, 24,000 soldiers were
settled on plots in our green and pleasant land.
The allotment movement was boosted by Round 2
with militaristic Germany, 1939-45, and the “Dig
for Victory” campaign. By 1943 there were
<https://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment-information/allotment-history/>1,400,000
allotments in the UK, producing a gob-smacking 1.3 million tonnes of food.

Then came the outbreak of peace, the population
doubling to 60 million, and an expansion of
housing which caused hard-pressed local
authorities to sell land to developers.
Currently, there are a niggardly
<https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/4699817/Allotments-a-very-British-passion.html>250,000
allotments in the UK, and the waiting lists are
as long as rake handles. But now that BoJo has
decided that money does, after all, grow on
trees, why not spend a casual couple of billion
purchasing land around Britain to be divided up
into plots for village people and townspeople
alike? (I propose this be called “The Cobbett Scheme”.)

So, when you are in Monmouth, do visit The King’s
Head. Cobbett, the man who dined alike with Pitt
and farmworker, who hated cruelty to animals, and
appreciated a good pint, would have been entirely
at home in a Wetherspoons ­with their CAMRA ale,
RSPCA Freedom Food eggs, Marine Stewardship
Council fish (I have eaten in Michelin starred
restaurants with less ethical food and drinks
policies) and its merciful absence of stuffed
shirts.And, alongside Rural Rides, have Cottage
Economy with you, and ask yourself this ultimate
question: do we not need more self-sufficiency in this country?

I say we do. As the Sex Pistols should have sung: “Autarchy for the UK!”