[Diggers350] Going To Seed, Simon Fairlie autobiography: ‘People are so detached from the land’

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sun May 29 19:45:04 BST 2022

Simon Fairlie: ‘People are so detached from the land’

‘We’re fighting a rearguard action against the
forces of technological greed. But we can keep a
check on these idiots’: Simon Fairlie
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/may/29/environmental-activist-simon-fairlie-says-people-are-so-detached-from-the-land

<https://www.theguardian.com/profile/patrickbarkham>Patrick
Barkham
<https://www.twitter.com/patrick_barkham>@patrick_barkham Sun 29 May 2022

Simon Fairlie is possibly the most influential –
and unusual – eco-activist you might not have
heard of. A hippy in the 60s and a pioneer of the
road protest movement, he’s now a persuasive advocate of micro-dairy farming
Patrick Barkham

Emacs!

This is my dream yard,” sighs Simon Fairlie,
standing in a small quadrangle of rough stones
strewn with hay, surrounded by low redbrick
barns, where swallows dip in the summer. With its
pair of soulful Jersey cows and folds of Dorset
hills beyond, it resembles an idyll of long-lost farming life.

Fairlie, one of the most interesting and
influential activists you may never have heard
of, has had a long and varied career. But the
latest chapter in the multi-storied life of one
of the fathers of Britain’s environmental
movement sees him as a farmer. Which might sound
at odds with his background, but Fairlie – true
to form – is championing an alternative type of
farming, in the shape of the micro-dairy.

'When you’ve got a little closed community you
can see clearly what people’s needs are and how
much you need to produce' - Simon Fairlie

The man who was part of the original hippy
movement, pioneer of the road protest movement
and anti-fossil fuel living, is these days happy
tending to livestock. But he farms small, running
the dairy for the charitable trust in charge of
<https://monktonwyldcourt.co.uk/>Monkton Wyld
Court, a Victorian pile that hosts yoga retreats,
campers and various alternative gatherings. He
rears two pigs for meat every six months, fed
upon the community’s leftover food.

“That’s what pigs were bred for – they eat the
food that would otherwise be a rat problem,” he
says. The don’t-eat-food-waste regulations are
“to protect the factory farms because if they get
swine fever, they cull thousands in one go.
Diseases are a part of life. Only in factory farming are they catastrophic.”

His current pair are called Jim and Bob. Is it
difficult to dispatch them to market? “I’m fairly
OK with it, but less so with cows. Once you
accept that eating meat is a sensible part of
human nourishment you’re guided by your head
rather than your emotions. Your emotions are
flexible and a little bit untrustworthy. If you
think about what you feel, you’re thinking more
about yourself than the animal. You just make
sure they have a nice time when they are alive.”

Dairy has a bad press today, but Fairlie is
frustrated by guests who would rather consume
soya products shipped around the world than
what’s made 50 yards down the hill from two
well-kept animals. “A large amount of what we eat
here is just what we’re seeing out of the
window,” he says. Today’s dairy industry is
“dreadful,” he says. “It’s tragic. So many small
farms have disappeared and these monstrous farms
concentrate far too many nutrients in one place,
causing pollution, and even these farms are struggling.”

Fairlie is convinced that the micro-dairy model
is workable in the modern era, and does not
require everyone to live in a commune. Small
dairies could be attached to small communities,
from prisons to residential homes, reducing
carbon emissions, pollution and waste. “When
you’ve got a little closed community you can see
more clearly what people’s needs are and how much you need to produce.”

He is an eloquent critic of consumerism, but also
a defender of activities that many
environmentally minded folk now decry – from
cattle farming to wood stoves. If that sounds a
bit retro, he is also an evangelist for local
food and a radical advocate for land reform.

His generation came of age during the 1960s and
matured with the environmental movement through
the 1970s and 80s. His new memoir, Going to Seed,
brilliantly conveys how the ideas of the
counterculture have evolved over the years. With
his shock of still-dark hair, neckerchief and
stout demeanour, Fairlie looks like an authentic
countryman, but he was raised in 1950s suburbia
and farmed out to boarding schools by his errant
father, Henry, a notable Fleet Street journalist
who coined the term “the establishment” and had
an affair with
<https://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/jul/08/hilary-kilmarnock-obituary>Hilary
Amis, wife of Kingsley.

After Simon dropped out of Cambridge university
to follow the hippy trail to India, his father
wrote a book called The Spoilt Child of the
Western World, ostensibly about the decadence of
America but also, Fairlie felt, taking aim at him and his generation.

While his father was desperate for Fairlie to
write, like he did, his son was determined to
forge an alternative society. His tribe were then
variously known as flower children or freaks;
Fairlie prefers the French term “les marginaux”,
but the only word that endures is hippy.

Today’s radical young environmentalists “are just
like I was, but they don’t think of themselves as
an alienated generation,” says Fairlie.
“<https://www.theguardian.com/profile/greta-thunberg>Greta
Thunberg is angry and that’s good, but she’s not
saying, ‘We’re different from you.’ She’s just
saying, ‘We’re younger than you and you’re not
living up to your responsibilities.’ We were
saying, ‘We are a different culture – we are
freaks and you are straights.’ I’m not saying that was right or wrong.”

Bearing in mind his 1970s motto – “a career is a
headlong rush towards doom” – Fairlie lived on
communes and took casual jobs to avoid a
conventional career cul-de-sac. He embraced the
protest movement ignited by the Thatcher
government’s Roads for Prosperity building
programme in 1989. The movement mobilised a
generation of writers, environmental scientists
and campaigners. Fairlie’s protests against the
M11 extension landed him in Pentonville prison,
where his cellmate enthused about a plot of land
for sale in Somerset. So began his next
adventure: co-founding a fossil fuel-free
eco-community called <http://www.tinkersbubble.org/>Tinkers Bubble in 1994.

Fairlie is rather scathing of his 11 years there,
criticising the community’s lack of organisation
and work ethic. “We were a magnet for nutcases,”
he writes. “We hippies actually weren’t too good at working communally.”

Communes may seem an idea whose time has gone,
but Fairlie mounts a spirited defence. A decent
proportion of the rural communes established 50
years ago still exist today; they may be more
stable than the nuclear family, he argues.
Monkton Wyld works, he says, because all 20 or so
residents have a job. “To live here, you apply
for a role like the gardener or maintenance. It’s
a business.” The house hosts “endless yoga
retreats”, but also weddings, family weekends and
parties. “We’ve had a couple of orgies, even.
They were quite interesting. They were very well run.”

And so to the micro-dairy he runs for the
community: the key to truly sustainable food
production, he argues, is its scale. He likes the
term “plantationocene” to describe the relentless
scaling up and intensification of globalised food
production with all its associated problems.

Local food is embodied by his two Jersey cows,
Cocoa and Folly. Rather than separating calves
from mothers at birth as in conventional
dairying, the calves live with their mothers for
about three months. Given six acres of grazing,
the pair produce 8,000 litres of milk each year –
about £11,000-worth of milk, cheese and yoghurt.

Rather like his journalist father, Fairlie has a
keen eye for a trend. When he took up scything,
importing modern lightweight scythes from Austria
and running how-to-scythe
<https://monktonwyldcourt.co.uk/scything-land-management-course-2022/>courses,
he was surprised to see the trend take off. He
wonders whether scythes will be his most lasting
legacy – but his years of campaigning on land
reform have helped many people seeking to live
off-grid. He calls for simple tweaks to the
planning system to enable young locals to
self-build affordable homes on village edges. But
spiralling land prices are reducing the
possibility of a back-to-the-land movement for all but the very wealthy.

He would like to see a revival of the “county
farm” system whereby council-owned farms provide
affordable tenancies for motivated but landless
young farmers. Instead, councils sell off these
assets. The landless English often don’t realise
how much common land was annexed by private
landowners during the enclosures of the Middle
Ages. “Breaking up the big estates or making them
more accessible is nowhere near the political
agenda because the majority of people in England
are so detached from the land they don’t realise
they’ve been dispossessed,” he says.

'Rewilding is a way of pulling in new subsidies
for public goods and you’re not actually producing any food.' Simon Fairlie

Some of these big estates may be leading the way
on restoring nature, but Fairlie is a rewilding
sceptic. “It’s potentially a scam. It’s a way of
pulling in new subsidies for ‘public goods’ [such
as restoring biodiversity or soils], and you’re
not actually producing any food. I’m not totally
against rewilding, but I’m very suspicious of it
on good agricultural land. If it’s a public good,
it should be under public ownership, not be paid
for by the public to a landowner for doing sod all.”

Fairlie took up writing and editing – for the
<https://theecologist.org/>Ecologist and then the
<https://www.thelandmagazine.org.uk/>Land – only
after his father died. What would Henry Fairlie
have made of his son’s life today? “He’d be very
glad I started writing. That was what he wanted,
but he also had an interest in farming as he got older.”

The critical father would probably also agree
with his son’s conclusions about environmental
activism. “When you are young and swept up in a
revolutionary moment, it’s easy to believe there
is everything to win,” writes Fairlie. “When you
look back, towards the end of a full life, you
realise you have just been treading water –
fighting a rearguard action for justice and
ecological modesty against the forces of
corporate greed and technological rapacity, who
have wealth and power on their side. But we can
keep a check on these idiots, and limit or delay their excesses.”

Going to Seed: A Countercultural Memoir by Simon
Fairlie (Chelsea Green, £14.99) is out now. Buy a
copy from
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/may/29/Going
to Seed %E2%80%93 A Countercultural Memoir by
Simon Fairlie is published by Chelsea Green>guardianbookshop.com at £13.04