[Diggers350] Homelessness in England at new 200k high amid cost of living crisis

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Jul 27 22:26:28 BST 2023

Homelessness in England at new 200k high amid cost of living crisis,
government figures show

https://tlio.org.uk/homelessness-in-england-at-new-high-amid-cost-of-living-crisis-government-figures-show/
<https://tlio.org.uk/homelessness-in-england-at-new-high-amid-cost-of-living-crisis-government-figures-show/>27
July 2023 <https://tlio.org.uk/author/tony/>Tony
Gosling
<https://tlio.org.uk/homelessness-in-england-at-new-high-amid-cost-of-living-crisis-government-figures-show/#respond>Leave
a comment -

<https://www.bigissue.com/news/housing/homelessness-figures-january-march-2023/>The
highest number of people on record applied for homelessness support
at the start of 2023 amid the housing and cost of living crises.

Emacs!

https://www.bigissue.com/news/housing/homelessness-figures-january-march-2023/

Early 2023 was the worst period for homelessness in England since
records began, according to the latest government figures, causing
charities to redouble their appeals for action to address the dual
crises of housing and the
<https://www.bigissue.com/news/social-justice/cost-of-living-help-households-winter/>cost
of living.

Almost 80,000 households in England contacted their local council
between January and March 2023 because they were homeless or at risk
of homelessness, the highest number since these records began in 2018.

A further 105,000 households were living in temporary accommodation
in the period, also the highest on record since 1998, including more
than 130,000 children.

The time for empty words on building social homes and overdue
promises on ending no fault evictions has long passed, said Polly
Neate, chief executive of Shelter, which estimated nearly 25,000
people had been made homelessin the last year because landlords had
evicted them via so-called Section 21 no-fault evictions.

No-fault evictions are fuelling homelessness and throwing thousands
of families lives into turmoil, Neate added. We need decisive action,
not lip service, before this crisis gets even worse.

Shelter called on the government to prioritise pushing the
<https://www.bigissue.com/news/housing/what-is-the-renters-reform-bill-and-how-will-it-change-things-for-renters/>Renters
Reform Bill through parliament after the summer break. Many hope the
much-discussed bill will give more protections to renters and
abolition Section 21 evictions.

More than a third of households were homeless because their private
tenancy had ended, and a quarter said they no longer had a roof over
their head because friends or family couldnt accommodate them.

Once again, we see the crippling cost that years of no investment in
housing benefit, and a shameful lack of social house building, is
having by trapping families in temporary accommodation, added Matt
Downie, chief executive of Crisis. Not only do people not have the
stability and security of a home, but theyre often left to cope in
just one room, with no facilities to cook meals or do washing.

Official government figures are based on the number of people
applying to councils for help, but homelessness is notoriously
difficult to quantify, meaning many more people could be living
without a home across the country.

A government spokesperson said: We are determined to prevent
homelessness before it occurs. Temporary accommodation ensures no
family is without a roof over their head and we have been clear that
the use of B&Bs is always a last resort.

On Monday the government promised to make good on its manifesto
pledge to build 1 million new homes before the next election and
Housing Secretary Michael Gove announced a long-term plan for
housing, relaxing planning rules to allow more building in city centres.

We need to keep going because we want more people to realise the
dream of owning their own home, said Prime Minister Rishi Sunak.

We wont do that by concreting over the countryside our plan is to
build the right homes where there is the most need and where there is
local support, in the heart of Britains great cities.

Our reforms today will help make that a reality, by regenerating
disused brownfield land, streamlining the planning process and
helping homeowners to renovate and extend their houses outwards and upwards.

But, given the scale of the problem apparent in the homelessness
figures released today, Crisis Downie accused ministers of being out
of touch and unable to grasp the severity of the situation.

The Westminster government may have declared victory yesterday on a
pledge to build one million homes in this parliament, but these
figures highlight how out of touch they are. Until the Westminster
government grasps the severity of this situation, we will not see
change, he said.

Families experiencing homelessness will continue to be commonplace
and more and more children will be forced to live in cramped, unsafe
temporary accommodation. Households across the country desperately
need more social homes as well as investment in housing benefit so
that people can afford even the cheapest of rents.

The government spokesperson continued: Councils must ensure temporary
accommodation is suitable for families, who have a right to appeal if
they think it does not meet their households needs. Thats why we have
given 2 billion over three years to help local authorities tackle
homelessness and rough sleeping, targeted to areas where it is needed
most. In London, this includes over 350 million funding through the
homelessness prevention grant.

The government is also improving availability of social housing. We
are committed to delivering 300,000 new homes per year and investing
11.5 billion to build the affordable, quality homes this country needs.

Lord Bird, founder of the Big Issue and crossbench peer, said: These
new figures on homelessness make it clear we are letting down the
people who need us most. As someone who has suffered homelessness I
know the long-term ill-effects and trauma that comes with it, the
government should be doing everything in its power to prevent
families and individuals at risk of losing their homes from becoming homeless.

Some immediate fixes the government could put in place, that we have
been consistently calling for, are to pass the renters reform bill
and end no-fault evictions, ensure universal credit is fit for
purpose and unfreeze local housing allowance rates. However, this is
only the beginning of what needs to be done, we need a focused and
joined-up approach with prevention at its heart to ensure we dont
keep finding ourselves back in this crisis.

Too much money is spent on emergency and coping, this needs to
change. Our resources have to be focused on prevention and cure. Not
only is this cheaper for the government in the long run, but it is
the only way we can hope to put an end to the misery of poverty.

I am now working on a new bill for the next parliament, a Ministry of
Poverty Bill, which is about putting poverty at the top of the
agenda, rather than have it ineptly dealt with in a piecemeal way.
Having a Ministry of Poverty would allow for a focused and
comprehensive approach to preventing and eradicating poverty.