[Diggers350] Ecovillage for sale in Colombia

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Jul 25 00:59:49 BST 2023

Contact +57 322 9217965 <mailto:iaom27 at tutanota.com>iaom27 at tutanota.com

ECO-VILLAGE FOR SALE

Unique opportunity to buy an Eco-Village/Community Farm
SELF-SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITY FARM / ECO-VILLAGE in
the foothills of the “Mazico Colombiano” a
highland area in the south of the country where
the source of Colombia’s’ major rivers (Magdalena & Cauca) is found.
Price:  80,000 Euros/CHF
- Aprox 5 hectares
- 1/2-hour drive from the towns of San Agustin & Pitalito, Huila.
- 10 minute drive to the farm from the main Pitalito to San Agustin road.
- 1400 MAMSL, climate is agreeable, generally
warm but pleasantly fresh in the evenings.
- Ecological constructions:  3 houses and 1
cabin, garage with 3 guest rooms and   living
room above, 1 large meeting house (with
underground cellar) suitable for gatherings, seminars & other social events.
- Terraced cultivation areas to conserve fertility of soil.

Emacs!

https://maracristian373.wixsite.com/ecovillageforsale

- Large botanical collection;
<https://maracristian373.wixsite.com/ecovillageforsale>Leer más

Garage with visitors accomadation.

View from farm towards Pitalito

House #1

African Palm

House #3

House #3 upstairs bedroom

Compost Toilet

Communal House

House #3

ECO-VILLAGE FOR SALE

What we are offering...

A unique opportunity to acquire a ready-made
Eco-Village / Community farm established over 20
years ago and planted with a variety of fruit
trees, medicinal plants of all types; bushes, vines, trees etc.

This farm has been built as a
community/Eco-village making it ideal for an
eco-community project or as an eco-tourism investment.

It is situated on the edge of the famed “Mazico
Colombiano” a scenic highland area where the
River Magdalena has its source. This area is home
to the internationally recognized World Heritage
site of the Statues of San Agustin; hundreds of
stone sculptures remains of a pre-Colombian
indigenous civilization, on a par with places
like Machu Pichu, Peru or Tiwanako in Bolivia, in
terms of archeological significance.

The scenery is spectacular in this area with
canyons, fast flowing rivers, mountain cloud
forests and many more sites of interest for nature lovers.

Despite Colombia’s history of conflict and social
unrest, which officially ended in 2015 with the
signing of a peace deal between the government
and the left-wing guerrillas, the area of San
Agustin, Pitalito is peaceful with a vibrant
rural economy. It is a center for Sugar Cane and
Coffee production, with the coffee beans produced
in the area highly recognized for their flavor and aroma.

Furthermore, San Agustin has one of the best
local markets for a huge variety of agricultural
products of all types from exotic tropical fruits
to all kinds of vegetables, beans and grains.
There is also a large variety of locally made arts & crafts.

Know the area...

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdAudl-TQLI>San Agustin - Ancestral Center

Photo Gallery

<https://maracristian373.wixsite.com/ecovillageforsale>Eco-Village Photos

FURTHER DETAILS...

Access and Transport

The farm itself is situated on a pleasant
hillside overlooking abundant coffee plantations.
Access is via a secondary road about 2km from the
main Pitalito – San Agustin road. The access road
is not fully paved but is in a good state of
repair and is being constantly improved due to
the gestation of the local community.

The main Pitalito – San Agustin road is well
serviced by public transport. From Pitalito it is
a 10 hour bus journey to Bogota and 4 hours to Neiva the departmental capital.

Climate

Our farm is located at 1400 meters above sea
level, in the foothills leading up to the Macizo
Colombiano.  The climate is warm and tropical
usually with a refreshing breeze thanks to its
height.  The dry season is December to February,
the wet season is May to July but in reality most
of the time there is a good mix or rain and sun.
Temperatures are on average between 18 and 22 °C
in the day except when there is more rain when it
gets cooler. Night-time temperatures rarely drop
below 10 °C and often can be pleasantly warm
without it ever being uncomfortable.

Housing

The community houses have all been self-built in
a variety of styles and using a variety of
materials including adobe, timber and brick.

There are three main houses each with their own
kitchen, shower and compost toilet. In addition,
there is a garage and parking area with guest
rooms and a living room above the garage.

The first building you find upon arriving is the
garage/undercover parking area with two further
storeys above. There are 3 bedrooms and, in the
attic, an ample sala/living room with a series of
drying racks to one side for drying medicinal
plants. The building has cement columns and the
rest is timber frame with adobe.

House #1; Visible from the garage is the main
house which has five bedrooms, kitchen, washing
room, dining area, living room. Featuring a hand
painted mural in the dining area. This is a cool
and sheltered house with a nice aspect. Ground
floor built with bricks with cement floors,
second floor in timber with zinc roofing. Fitted
both for 110v and 220v electricity.

House #2; This house is smaller but still with 6
bedrooms. Ground floor timber framed with adobe.
Second floor timber and zinc. Kitchen, separate
but linked by roofing through a dining area to
the house. Partially “open air,” fresh, agreeable and typically Colombian.

House # 3; A hexagonal house with kitchen, dining
and two small bedrooms downstairs. One master
bedroom upstairs with panoramic views and shady
balcony giving it a summer house feel. Built in
timber and adobe with ceramic flooring in the downstairs area.

The meeting house is found slightly apart from
the rest of the farm. The main “Sala” is spacious
and can easily fit 30 people making it ideal as a
community space, school room or for holding
gatherings/seminars. The first floor is
unfinished and could be adapted for a variety of
purposes. All this without mentioning the
“secret” underground chamber carved out of the
rocky sub-soil and fortified with thick columns.

Just below the communal meeting house partially
dug into a terrace on the hillside there is a one
room “meditation cabin” artistically constructed with local timber.

Economy

As mentioned in the intro above, the farm is
found within easy access, practically at the
entrance to the Colombian Macizo. This Highland
area is famed throughout Colombia and is visited
at key holiday times by many Colombian holiday
makers. In addition it is an area that most
foreign visitors pass through due to its
spectacular natural scenery, making it a must for
people interested in hiking in the mountains,
visiting the archeological sites and
participating sports such as white water rafting and paragliding.

This fact makes this farm perfectly situated for
self - catering holidays, meditation type retreats or as a rural hostal.

The farm itself was originally a coffee
plantation and we have conserved approx. 500
bushes whose quantity could easily be added to.

The large variety of medicinal plants make the
farm viable for people interested in making a living from natural medicine.

Privacy

The entrance drive to the farm passes next to the
house of an elderly lady who has her own coffee
toasting business. None of the houses are visible
from public roads and the level of privacy is
high. The local population is not dense but there
are neighbouring farms. Neighbours are friendly and respectful of privacy.

Cultivated areas

We manage the cultivated areas of our farm with
planting techniques that create a balance between
different food and medicine bearing trees and
plant species that can be cultivated in different
zones according to their characteristics.  In
cultivation areas that are not flat, we have
built terraces, to prevent erosion and conserve the fertility of the soil.

Forest, Soil & Water

The farm is in an area that has been largely
deforested in favour of coffee plantations but
over the 20 + years we have owned the farm we
have conserved the wooded areas that remained and
reforested the farm whilst also making works to
stop erosion and conserve the soil. The soil
itself is fertile and supports many kinds of
plants. Where we have found it inadequate we have
made terraces and increased the composting.

The farm is part of a local water supply
collective. Water is piped from a mountain stream
5 km away and distributed between around 100
families. There is also a spring on the land and
an underground holding tank where the water is
collected and from where it is distributed to
various parts of the farm. There are various
stand pipes for irrigation in dry periods.

There are two small streams that flow through the
farm and we have conserved tree cover so that they are not lost.

Biodiversity - Cultivated plants:

Its varied botanical collection is what makes the
farm unique and of special interest for people
with ecological leanings. The farm was
established with the objective of conservation
making it a haven for local flora and fauna.

    * Organically grown fruit trees including
oranges, lemons, mandarins, guanabana, mango,
mamey, chontaduro palm, coffee, prickly pear
cactus, apples, pineapple, chorozo palm,
jackfruit, borojo, guava, achote, uva agraz   and more

    * Many kinds of medicinal plants from
different parts of Colombia and
South          America, from Andean to Amazonian
including;  Lemongrass, mugwort, coca, neem,
Guayusa, rosemary, elder flower, sarsaparilla,
carare, plantain, dandelion, dragon's blood,
moringa, magave, aloe vera, chóndur, mint of
various kinds, lemon balm, Floripondio, mano de Dios, citronella,

       -    Sugar Cane.

    * 2 fish ponds suitable for cultivation of
edible species such as cachama and mojarra.

Connectivity (signal-internet);

On the farm cell phone signal can be received and
fibre optic internet can be installed in the different houses.

Energy -  Electricity;

The whole farm has an electricity supply and the
possibility to connect with both 110v (local standard) and 220v.

Why Are we selling:

We are an ecological organization that is focused
in a path of practical and experiential learning.
We have two farms in the San Agustin area and due
to other projects we have decided to sell one of these farms.

Any potential buyer would be able to have contect
with us on an ongoing basis as we hope to sell to
people interested in conserving and developing
this farm along ecological lines.

Additional Information:

The San Agustin area has a well established and
vibrant ex-pat community of Europeans (French,
Germans, English, North Americans etc.) that have
relocated in order to live a more peaceful and
rural based life as well as establishing their
own projects and schools (Waldorf/Steiner).