[Diggers350] Gordon Ramsay squatters vow to stay put despite court order, won't leave TV chef's £13m gastro pub

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Apr 20 22:56:26 BST 2024

Gordon Ramsay's squatters say they're going
nowhere: Pub occupants vow to stay put despite
court order telling them to leave TV chef's £13m London pub

     Lawyers for Gordon Ramsay secured a court
order against the pub's squatters
     The squatters claim they have an agreement with the building's owners

By Darren Boyle Published: 16:04, 20 April 2024

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13331037/Gordon-Ramsay-kitchen-nightmare-pub-squatters-court.html

Squatters have vowed to remain inside a Gordon
Ramsay pub in London, claiming to have reached an
agreement with the building's owner.

The group shut themselves in the York & Albany
near Regent's Park, north London, last week.

Lawyers for Gordon Ramsay Holdings International
Limited (GRHI) secured a High Court order for the
possession of the premises on Thursday, which had
appeared to pave the way for enforcement officers
to retake the Grade II listed building.

On Saturday, court orders taped to the doors of
the premises had been torn down and a squatter
said the group would be staying put.

'We've made a deal With the owner, not Ramsay.'

He said: 'We're still here, and we're going to
carry on staying here. We're going to be security for him.'
Emacs!

The former pub and hotel building in Camden is on
the market for £13 million, after a protracted
legal battle between Hell's Kitchen presenter
Ramsay and film director Gary Love.

In 2007, Mr Love purchased the freehold of the
premises, before leasing the pub to Ramsay on a
25-year term for an annual rent of £640,000.

The celebrity chef attempted to free himself from
the lease in 2015 but was unsuccessful in the High Court.

On Thursday, lawyers for GRHI were granted an
order by Judge Simon Brown to retake the property.

Some of the squatters initially said they would
comply with the ruling, leading to a steady stream of people leaving on Friday.

However, a number of those who left have since
returned and it is unclear how many people remain inside the building.

Banners which had been draped from the balcony,
reading 'whatever they say, squatters will stay'
and 'squat the lot', have been removed by the occupants.

A man, who said he was a friend of one of the
squatters, entered the York & Albany briefly on
Friday and said afterwards those inside had no intention of leaving.

'They're going to wait for the bailiff. That's
basically what they're going to end up doing.'

The friend, who would not give his name but said
he is a former squatter himself, added that those
inside the building were young, homeless and had
been squatting in various locations for a long time.

The squatter group ran a cafe out of the building
last week, handing out free food and drink to
'the people of Camden who have been victims of
gentrification and parasitic projects like HS2'.

On squatter said: 'We're not bad people. I pay my
taxes, I've got a job, I work in a pub.'

He added: 'We just need a place to stay, that's
it. We're trying to do a good thing here.'

  Mr Love and Mr Ramsay have been approached for comment.