[Diggers350] Mandelson: Tony Blair banned fox hunting after a £1 million donation from animal rights campaign IFAW

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Feb 15 01:37:51 GMT 2024

Mandelson: Tony Blair banned fox hunting after a
£1 million donation from animal rights campaign IFAW

https://tlio.org.uk/mandelsn-tony-blair-banned-fox-hunting-after-a-1-million-donation-from-ifaw-animal-rights-group/
<https://tlio.org.uk/mandelsn-tony-blair-banned-fox-hunting-after-a-1-million-donation-from-ifaw-animal-rights-group/>15
February 2024 Leave a comment

Tony Blair agreed to ban fox hunting after a £1
million donation to Labour from an animal rights group, Peter Mandelson claims

Emacs!

The former business secretary said the group got ‘pretty transactional’

By Jason Groves – published 14 December 2023

<https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12866059/tony-blair-ban-fox-hunting.html>https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12866059/tony-blair-ban-fox-hunting.html

Tony Blair agreed to ban fox hunting ‘under
pressure’ because of a £1million donation to
Labour from an animal rights organisation, Peter Mandelson has claimed.

Emacs!

The former business secretary said the group got
‘pretty transactional’ and it demanded the ban
‘in return’ for the cash – which at the time was
the party’s biggest ever donation.

The Labour peer, who is now an adviser to Sir
Keir Starmer, did not name the group involved.
However, his comments appear to be a reference to
a £1million donation given by the late animal
rights campaigner Brian Davies, who founded the
International Fund for Animal Welfare.

Emacs!

Lord Mandelson revealed the pressure Mr Blair was
facing during a discussion about political
funding on the Times Radio podcast How To Win An Election.

Asked about whether donors had ever tried to buy
influence, he said: ‘I can offer you an example
from 1997 when an organisation – it was a fund to
do with the welfare of animals – got pretty
transactional with us. It was the first and last time I can remember this.

‘They wanted a ban on hunting in return for a
very sizeable amount of money. And Blair and Co
were sort of reluctant obviously to enter into
some sort of trade over this policy.

Emacs!

‘However, there were a lot of people in the party
who wanted that ban – there were a lot of MPs
coming and demanding it – and we got into a
difficult situation where frankly we went a
little bit too far – further than Blair wanted –
in making this commitment in our manifesto.

‘It was, frankly, under not duress but under some
sort of pressure. It wasn’t attractive and it’s not been repeated.’

His comments will raise fresh questions about
political sleaze. Labour has been trying to woo
wealthy donors in the same manner as it did in the run-up to the 1997 election.

Emacs!

Tim Bonner, chief executive of the Countryside
Alliance, which led the campaign against the ban
on hunting, said: ‘Tony Blair has already
admitted that the hunting ban was one of the
legislative measures he most regrets.

‘The Hunting Act has failed at every level, not
least in the damage it has caused to the
countryside and biodiversity. A future Labour
government should right the wrongs of the past
and remove this running sore in Labour’s relationship with rural communities.’

But a spokesman for Sir Tony said it was a
‘misinterpretation’ of Lord Mandelson’s comments
to suggest that Labour’s policy had been influenced by the donation.

They added: ‘There was no such agreement, he is
clearly saying there were a lot of people who had
passionate views on the subject.’

Emacs!

Labour’s 1997 manifesto pledged to facilitate ‘a
free vote in Parliament on whether hunting with
hounds should be banned by legislation’.

Legislation to ban hunting was not finally
introduced until 2003 and did not come into force
until 2005 following a titanic parliamentary battle.

In his political memoir, Sir Tony voiced regret
about the ban and revealed that he had
deliberately left loopholes in the legislation
that would allow hunting to continue provided
certain steps were taken to prevent cruelty.

He said he had not realised the ‘primeval’
passions that the ban would cause among rural communities.

The International Fund for Animal Welfare did not
respond to a request for comment. The Labour
Party has yet to comment on the matter.