[Diggers350] Banking Nature, French documentary on WBCSD and the privatisation of nature

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Jul 27 23:47:37 BST 2024

Banking Nature, French documentary on new WBCSD
markets, the privatisation of nature

https://tlio.org.uk/banking-nature-2015-documentary-on-new-wbcsd-markets-and-the-privatisation-of-nature/
<https://tlio.org.uk/banking-nature-2015-documentary-on-new-wbcsd-markets-and-the-privatisation-of-nature/>27
July 2024 <https://tlio.org.uk/author/tony/>Tony
Gosling<https://tlio.org.uk/banking-nature-2015-documentary-on-new-wbcsd-markets-and-the-privatisation-of-nature/#respond>Leave
a comment

Banking Nature (2015), new WBCSD environmental
markets | see also
<https://tlio.org.uk/planet-of-the-humans-how-environmental-and-green-energy-movements-have-been-taken-over-by-capitalists/>Planet
of the Humans (2020)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSPfI86IlQA

Privatization Of Nature – Who is behind the new
environmental wave of interest in planting
forests in Afrika, making you buy rain-forest and
climatic quotas for pollution? It surely wouldn’t
be the same which made the last financial crises in sub prime loans?

“Buying landscapes, protecting landscapes,
accumulating new landscapes-it’s a phenomenal
opportunity.” -Steve Morgan, CEO, Wildlands Inc.

Emacs!

BANKING NATURE is a film about the growing
movement to monetize the natural world: to turn
endangered species and threatened areas into instruments of profit.

It’s a worldview that posits capital and markets
as the planet’s salvation-turning nature into
“natural capital.” In this view, the best way to
protect endangered species and habitats is to
assign them dollar values and measure the
“ecosystem services” they provide. These services
can then be converted into securitized financial products.

The results can be grotesque. In Uganda, we meet
men who measure trees to determine how much
carbon they store-and a banker from the German
firm that sells the resulting carbon credits.
Meanwhile, in Brazil, steel giant Vale destroys
rainforest, replaces it with tree plantations,
and reaps the benefits of environmental credits.

Can we trust the same people whose mismanagement
of the mortgage market led to a global economic
meltdown to safeguard nature, by turning it into
financial instruments for speculators?

“Successfully outlines the theory behind
‘financializing nature’
 making this complex
aspect of the modern market system
comprehensible
 Does a real service. Recommended.”­Video Librarian

“This is a fascinating work, investigating an
inventive plan to protect nature
 The portrayal
of both sides of this impalpable concept is
laudable. Huge assembly of opponents gives this
film a distinct objectivity. The work has
brilliant foresight into the issues, turning
points, dangers, and ethical dilemmas of the
proposal. Highly recommended.”­Educational Media Reviews Online

“A beautiful and very challenging and provocative
treatment of the current effort to save nature
and the planet by applying market economics,
models, and tools to global environmental crises
such as species extinction, the loss of
biodiversity, degradation and loss of whole
ecosystems like the world’s rainforests, and
global warming.”­Science Books and Films

Privatization Of Nature (2015)
Director: Sandrine Feydel, Denis Delestrac
Stars: Bertrand Dussy, Framboise Gommendy, Laurent Jacquet
Genre: Documentary
Country: France
Language: English (with subtitled German, French and Spanish)
Also Known As: Banking Nature
Release Date: February 3, 2015 (France)

Synopsis:
We investigate the commercialization of the
natural world. Protecting our planet has become
big business with companies promoting new
environmental markets. This involves species
banking, where investors buy up vast swathes of
land, full of endangered species, to enable them
to sell ‘nature credits’. Companies whose actions
destroy the environment are now obliged to buy
these credits and new financial centres have
sprung up, specializing in this trade.

Many respected economists believe that the best
way to protect nature is to put a price on it.
But others fear that this market in nature could
lead to companies having a financial interest in
a species’ extinction. There are also concerns
that – like the subprime mortgage crisis of 2008
– the market in nature credits is bound to crash.
And there are wider issues at stake. What
guarantees do we have that our natural
inheritance will be protected? And should our ecological heritage be for sale?

Also Known As (AKA):
(original title) Nature, Le Nouvel Eldorado de la Finance
France Nature, le Nouvel Eldorado de la Finance
Germany Natur – Spekulationsobjekt Mit Zukunft
Norway Naturens Kapital
United Kingdom Banking Nature
United States Banking Nature
World-wide Banking Nature (English)

Share this:

    *
<https://tlio.org.uk/banking-nature-2015-documentary-on-new-wbcsd-markets-and-the-privatisation-of-nature/?share=facebook&nb=1>Facebook

    *
<https://tlio.org.uk/banking-nature-2015-documentary-on-new-wbcsd-markets-and-the-privatisation-of-nature/?share=twitter&nb=1>Twitter

    *
<https://tlio.org.uk/banking-nature-2015-documentary-on-new-wbcsd-markets-and-the-privatisation-of-nature/?share=email&nb=1>Email

    *
<https://tlio.org.uk/banking-nature-2015-documentary-on-new-wbcsd-markets-and-the-privatisation-of-nature/#>More

<https://tlio.org.uk/85-of-wild-ponies-gone-in-natural-england-enclosure-by-stealth-1000-year-old-forest-and-moorland-common-rights-extinguished-by-natural-england-and-defra/>Previous
Post85% of Wild Ponies Gone in Natural England
Enclosure by Stealth. 1,000 Year Old Forest and
Moorland Common Rights Extinguished by DEFRA