[Diggers350] Cirencester Park Turnstiles: Lord Bathurst & Right To Roam's John Moses

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Mar 19 01:35:13 GMT 2024

Cirencester Park Turnstiles: Lord Bathurst &
Right To Roam's John Moses BBC World Tonight
18Mar24 https://youtu.be/RAJP08Z86H8 - - www.righttoroam.org.uk

Don’t put a price on the peaceful enjoyment of England’s green fields
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/mar/15/the-guardian-view-on-genteel-protest-dont-put-a-price-on-the-peaceful-enjoyment-of-englands-green-fields
Charging townspeople to use a beautiful park in
the Cotswolds may ignite a wider right to roam movement
A small outcry over the imposition of entrance
fees to Cirencester Park is an interesting
moment, and it may prove more significant than it
first appears. Sir Benjamin Bathurst, a wealthy
slave trader, acquired the stunning estate in
1695 and it remains in the family’s hands. The
park sits beside the town of Cirencester and,
ever since its inception, people have been
allowed through the gates for walking, playing
and imbibing the scent of lime blossom from its
magnificent avenue of mature trees.

Emacs!

The parkland, landscaped in the 18th century, has
been the de facto town park: children have
climbed trees there, and residents with tiny back
yards have enjoyed the many scientifically proven
physical and mental health benefits of exercising
in a very large green back yard. There are
similar arrangements at other estates, such as
Blenheim, where the townsfolk of Woodstock –
similarly adjacent to estate walls – can wander
fairly freely into vast swathes of parkland on their doorstep.
This centuries-old arrangement arises because
previous lords recognised a social contract: they
needed the town as much as residents benefited
from access. Besides, it would be provocative to
keep the hoi polloi confined to their grimy
little streets when there was so much green space
just over the wall. Now that social contract is
crumbling. The Bathurst estate is due to activate
electronic gates and a ticket booth at
Cirencester Park, charging pedestrians £4 for a
day pass (locals can pay a £10 deposit for a
“free” access card). Lord Bathurst appeals for
“help” to run the park; poorer residents will
struggle to prioritise paying £10 to enjoy an avenue of limes.
Rarely are land rights questioned in any way in
Britain, but this heartfelt outcry from one
English town is similar to the Covid lockdowns
when, desperately requiring local green space,
many people began to question why so much land
was out of bounds. Why do we only have a right to
roam over 8% of England? And clear rights to swim or paddle in 3% of rivers?
These questions are growing because Lord
Bathurst’s charges are part of a bigger trend.
Large estates are run on increasingly commercial
lines. It’s cash for access. And landowners are
shaking down visitors for every penny. Most of us
accept that if we drive a car into a grand estate
we must pay handsomely for parking (£9 for six
hours at Cirencester Park). Fair enough, if we
want to purchase a guided tour, a well-priced
coffee, or treat our dogs to the Bathurst
estate’s special dog-wash. But charges for a
walker who seeks nothing more than the peaceful
enjoyment of the green fields of England?
Local residents have called in the Right to Roam
campaign, which has organised a “mass trespass”
in the park this weekend, with speeches and games
for children. For many, the fact that many grand
estates are built on colonial plunder and slavery
adds to the importance of them acknowledging
their social obligations today. Labour has
already U-turned on its commitment to a
Scottish-style right to roam law in England. But
it would be in the landed gentry’s own best
interests to encourage the next government to
take some steps to widen access, and for the
grand old estates to restore their pragmatic
approach of recent centuries – freely giving the
little people a little access. Without such
modest compromises, the clamour for more rights
to roam will become an irresistible movement.

Hundreds protest at Cirencester Park against first entry fees in 300 years
https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/cheltenham-news/gallery/pictures-hundreds-protest-cirencester-park-9172014
Catherine Forrester, 37, and Tom Jones, 41, moved
to Stroud, Gloucestershire, seven years ago and
have been coming to the park ever since. They
have visited the park with their four-year-old
son, Rowan, since he was a baby and the protest
was the first time their daughter Rosa, 10 weeks old, visited the park.
Catherine, who runs an organisation offering peer
support for mothers, said: "We're down here
because we feel the park should be free for
everyone. I love being in the open space, it is
very close to the open-air swimming pool - it is
a lovely place to come after a swim."
The scheme was due to go live on Friday Mar 15
but was postponed because of delivery issues with
the passes. Last Wednesday Mar 13 a public
meeting was hosted in Cirencester Ashcroft Church
regarding the proposed changes.
Bathurst Estate representatives were invited to
join the panel at this meeting but decided to
send the organiser a written statement instead.
The statement said: "We do not receive any public funding for Cirencester Park.