GreenNet service downtime Friday 22 and Saturday 23 November

GreenNet Support support at gn.apc.org
Mon Nov 25 16:06:05 GMT 2019

  GreenNet

Dear Member

*25 November 2019
*

We're writing to apologise for the downtime over the past weekend and
update you on the situation.

The outage lasted from approximately Midday til 7PM GMT on Friday 22nd
November, and resumed from approximately 2AM until 4AM on Saturday 23rd.
Services were brought back online gradually through Saturday afternoon
and were completely restored by the end of the day. It was caused by a
large Distributed Denial of Service attack (DDoS), which severely
disrupted traffic to our websites and mail server.

DDoS attacks do not involve any access to servers or risk of data breach
but we will be continuing our investigations and will make appropriate
notifications to users and ICO if we do discover any evidence of an
intrusion.

Since the beginning of the incident we have been in close contact with
our data centre, and will be reviewing the incident to ensure that we
can apply any learning to increase our resilience against future
attacks. If you have any concerns or need further information, please
email support at gn.apc.org <mailto:support at gn.apc.org>.

Please be patient with support requests today as we're be working
through a queue of messages.

With best wishes from all at the GreenNet Collective,
Andrew, Ian, Marek, Ed, Cedric, Liz & Howard

      GreenNet is the ethical Internet Service Provider that has been
      connecting people and groups who work for peace, the environment,
      gender equality and human rights since 1986.

We hope that you are happy to receive our newsletter. If not, simply
unsubscribe here
<http://mailman.greennet.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/greennet-l> and you
will not receive it in future.

GreenNet, The Green House, 244-254 Cambridge Heath Road, London E2 9DA.
Tel (UK): 0330 355 4011 Tel (int'l): +44 (0)330 355 4011
Email: info at gn.apc.org <mailto:info at gn.apc.org>