[SGRupdate] SGR Appeal 2011

Scientists for Global Responsibility (SGR) info at sgr.org.uk
Fri Nov 18 14:00:23 GMT 2011

Dear Friends

Your past generosity has been vital in advancing the cause of ethical
science, design and technology. Now it is time to ask for your continued
support for our important work http://www.sgr.org.uk/pages/donate-sgr

In the past year SGR has been as active as ever, achieving a great deal on
a tight budget. For example, in the last few months, SGR has:

*	Held our 2011 conference examining concerns raised by 'emerging
technologies'. Leading academics led discussions on climate- /
geo-engineering and military robotics, as well as who controls such
technologies. The conference was covered in a feature article in
Professional Engineering http://profeng.com/features/at-what-cost
and feedback from participants was very positive.

*	Campaigned on a range of issues including energy conservation,
militarism in science, decentralised renewable energy, geo-engineering and
shale gas. For example, we pressed the leading academic journal, Nature on
its recent unbalanced reporting of science and the military, and (with
other groups) pushed the government to strengthen its proposed 'Green
Deal' energy efficiency strategy, and challenged the BBC over misleading
statements made in its science programming (including BBC2's Horizon) over
the health effects of the Chernobyl and Fukushima disasters.

*	Provided speakers for UK events including the National Justice and Peace
Conference in Derbyshire, the Climate Justice Conference in London, and
Coventry Peace Festival.

*	Published the 40th issue of the widely read and respected SGR
Newsletter http://www.sgr.org.uk/publications/sgr-newsletter-40

A donation from you now will help us keep up this level of activity. In
particular, we plan to:

*	Begin a new research project on reforming the Ministry of Defence's
science and technology programmes, as part of broader reforms to public
spending in science and technology to support the transition to a
sustainable, and therefore more secure, society. We are also planning a
second project working with academics and students to make use of ethical
guidelines within universities to challenge militaristic research.

*	Continue to provide information to students and graduates in science,
design and technology about ethical career options.

*	Continue our existing campaign work on issues such as climate change,
nuclear weapons, cleaner and more secure energy, military and corporate
influence on science, biotechnology and a more ethical agenda right across
science, design and technology.

At this time of major upheaval, assumptions about the scope and priorities
for public funding are being fundamentally rethought. SGR, as an
organisation of professionals in key sectors, has a coherent reform agenda
that unites science, design and technology with peace, social justice and
environmental sustainability. We need your donations to enable us to work
effectively in support of this agenda with like-minded
professional organisations, peace and environment groups, trade unions,
the renewable energy industry etc.

Together we can make a difference!

We look forward to hearing from you soon – your help is vital in keeping
up our good work and any donation you make will be very gratefully
received.

Yours sincerely

Dr Philip Webber, SGR Chair, and, Alasdair Beal CEng, SGR Treasurer.

Scientists for Global Responsibility (SGR) is an independent UK-based
organisation of scientists, architects, engineers, and technologists
promoting ethical science, design and technology.

Scientists for Global Responsibility
Ingles Manor
Castle Hill Avenue
Folkestone