[Telecentres] Economist: skeptical tak on telecenters & ICT4D

Barbara Fillip bfillip at smtp.aed.org
Fri Mar 18 18:24:29 GMT 2005

To me, the more important thing is not so much to respond to the article
and defend a position or another, but rather to really take a good look
at our own ICT activities and do a better job of documenting our
impacts.  We can complain all we want about the fact that it is
difficult to document the impact of ICT activities on development, but
then we should also refrain from making outrageous claims regarding the
somewhat magical potential of ICTs to solve all development problems.
It's been said again and again..... there is little more than anectodal
evidence of the impact of donor funded ICT activities on development.
There may be a few well publicized success stories and some less
publicized failures but no systematic analysis that would provide a
solid basis for countering the Economist's skepticism regarding
telecenters.

Barbara Fillip

>>> telecentres-request at wsis-cs.org 3/17/2005 7:02:04 AM >>>

Message: 3