Fwd: MAJOR VIRUS ALERT

The Land Is Ours office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 5 16:12:17 BST 2000

>From: "Totnes Genetics Group" <togg at freenetname.co.uk>
>To: "Luke Anderson" <luke at togg.freeserve.co.uk>
>Subject: MAJOR VIRUS ALERT
>Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 15:06:18 +0100
>

>MAJOR EMERGENCY - ACT NOW
>
>We (ToGG) have just discovered that we have been hit by a nasty virus
>that could have arrived by email and may have been inadvertently sent out
>again by email.
>
>YOU MUST DO THIS IMMEDIATELY or risk losing all information on your hard disk.
>
>We are told that the virus could activate at 6pm TODAY OCTOBER 1st.
>
>The virus we have found is called the KAK WORM and is liable to create files
>called KAK.HTM, 3C326180.HTA (can be any numeric string), KAK.REG and
>will also infect your AUTOEXEC.BAT
>
>ACTION:
>
>1. If you have an up-to-date virus checker, RUN IT NOW
>
>2. If you do not have a recent virus checker - or if in doubt - go to this
>web site <http://www.macafee.com>http://www.macafee.com  and sign up for
>their FREE 10-DAY TRIAL
>
>3. When your application is confirmed (immediately by email) run the
>ON-LINE VIRUS CHECKER
>which will detect the KAK worm if present. I have just done this myself
>and it does delete some
>of the infected files and cleans autoexec.bat, but 2 files - KAK.REG and
>3C326180.hta cannot be
>cleaned or deleted by the virus checker and MUST BE REMOVED manually.
>
>If you need confirmation of this message of further help,
>please call Phil on 07050 696 533
>
>PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE UNTIL YOU ARE
>SURE YOU HAVE REMOVED THIS VIRUS...
>
>If you do find it AND destroy it, please send a message with details so we
>can attempt to find out where this virus came from.
>
><mailto:Phil at togg.org.uk>Phil at togg.org.uk
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

The TLIO Networking Office

The Land Is Ours
... A Landrights movement for All

The Land Is Ours campaigns peacefully for access to the land, its resources
and the decision making processes affecting them, for everyone -
irrespecitive of race, age, or gender.

+44 (0)1865 722016
16B Cherwell St, OXFORD, OX4 1BG

check out our website at: <http://www.oneworld.org/tlio/>

or contact us at: <office at tlio.demon.co.uk>

TLIO are currently short on funds.  For a year's subscription for the
newsletter (3 times a year), we are asking for £3 per annum.  Please make
cheques payable to "The Land Is Ours".