Looking at LVT within the proper context

msbrown at cwcom.net msbrown at cwcom.net
Sun Jan 27 02:38:40 GMT 2002

In a sort of response to what burns_curtis said on the Diggers list:

LVT is a nice theory in practice (redistribution of the “unearned increment of
land values" to the community, as well as aiding the redistribution of land).
However, before I go on to make points about the merits of this “universally
applied theory”, lets look at the practical reality of why it is a non-starter
explicitly ‘on it’s own’ within the context of the financial capitalist system
we currently find ourselves in (that said, from the start, it needs to be said
that the old policy of “betterment" - a tax levied purely on the unearned
income of increased land value on property derived from being accorded
development rights / planning permission - first introduced in 1947 – could be
implemented tomorrow).

LVT would assume ownership of the resource that is land.  As applied to the UK,
the problem is, to quote Mike Rowbotham (author of the groundbreaking “Grip of
Death”),  we live not in a “property-OWNING democracy”, but a “property-OWING
democracy”. It would be deeply unjust and would avoid the deeper root of the
problem to reform the tax base (to move towards LVT) while staying within the
current money system which has a deeper, underlying and absolutely fundamental
stranglehold on the economy and wealth creation itself, nevermind wealth
distribution.  While 97% of the money used by society is bank-created book-
entry debt (loans), the basis of the system which is continuous borrowing
(money created parallel to it’s repayment) means that as more always has to be
found for repayment than has been loaned due to interest charges, the money
supply is constantly increasing, and so, requires constant economic growth to
sustain it while also causing price inflation and ever-spiralling property
prices, locking people into the need to constantly stay-afloat on the wings of
financial capitalism in an economy where the workforce must attain ever greater
productivity while at the same time, everything they own is effectively tied-up
in debt.  (To briefly explain money creation theory, see below *1).
Therefore, taxing property would be a tax on the very thing that the majority
of the population don’t actually own outright, and which increasingly commands
larger and more unsustainable incomes just to ‘get one’s foot on the
ladder’(unsustainable because peoples’ income is increasing at a slower rate
relative to their debt). *2

Therefore, there are 2 absolute pre-requisites to implementing LVT.  The first
has to be overhauling the debt-based money system, where government and local
communities are free to create more debt-free money into the economy while
regulating commercial bank lending. Taxpayers would be saved immense sums of
interest, discounts and exchanges, and the relief of price inflation (not least
regional disparity of property prices) would form the basis of a more stable
system and less pressurised economic environment.

The second essential pre-requisite to adoption of LVT must be a strong,
consistent and properly regulated planning system, because without a good
planning system LVT, could be harmful.  For instance, if LVT replaced existing
council taxation to become a more sophisticated means of redistributing
benefits to the wider community, with exemptions for land designated for
affordable housing, the planning process would need to be further tightened up,
and the definition of what constitutes "affordable housing" would need to be
explicitly defined.  In terms of agricultural land, LVT could be an effective
stick to beat intensive agriculture, to accompany the carrot of
grants/financial assistance for transition to labour intensive environmental
friendly farming / farming geared to localised supply.

The first argument in favour of Income tax rather than LVT is that it is a tax
on actual wealth as opposed to LVT, which is a tax on potential wealth.  That
said, there must be a case for incorporating elements of LVT to break up large-
scale land holding and “betterment”. The last time betterment was used in the
UK was under the Labour government of 1967, where a betterment levy was set at
40% by the Land Commission; it was abolished by the Conservatives in 1971.

I personally am wary of the universal applicability of LVT, considering the
best first tax to be the Uniform Business Rate, which most obviously falls on
wealth creators.  Henry George’s ideas, if put up-to-date in the modern-day
context of the international market-place, would show them up to be inadequate
solely on their own, in the face of the massive tax revenues that are gained
from business and high-income streams.  However, I am encouraged to learn from
someone who knows more about LVT that if properly implemented, it would not
apply to smaller land-holdings below a certain size.   And, as well as this,
since it was suggested to me that LVT would only work if implemented alongside
a universal basic-income scheme, then smallholdings would effectively get
their “housing-benefit” equivalent in this form. This is a far simpler
explanation than where you say:
(Point-3) “If the rent were collected centrally and redistributed equally to
everyone then as the price of land rises, then the 'dividend' that each citizen
receives from his share of the central collection of that rent also rises to
the same degree. This means that if one owns a plot of typical value, one does
not pay any rent nor tax, because the amount one receives in dividend equals
the charges made for the land one holds”.

*1 Fractional Reserve banking (lending out many times the amount you have in
deposits) is the principle of Commercial Banks money-creation function. When a
bank makes a loan, it does not take the money from anyone’s account, or even
it’s own funds.  It simply creates the money, by crediting it’s customers
account with the amount of the loan – a ‘liability’ to the bank – and balancing
it’s books by entering the new amount owed to it as an ‘asset’. Therefore, if a
person deposits $100 in a bank and the reserve requirements are 10% then the
bank will keep $10 for reserves and loan out $90. This $90 dollar loan ends up
in someone else's bank account in either the same bank or another bank. The
deposit of the loan is treated just like any other deposit and the bank loans
out $81 (keeping $9 which is 10% of the $90 for reserves.) Of course the $81
ends up in yet another person's bank account and the process continues. The end
result of this is that for every $100 deposited almost $1,000 can be loaned
out. This is a very simplified example and in real life the maximum amount is
rarely reached. The point here is that by it’s very nature, Fractional Reserve
Banking creates money out of thin air.

So, while the money is based on debt (loans), the money supply grows through
this continuous increase in borrowing – and the parallel increase in debt.
While the principle of this is the bank’s ability to increase loans, the system
is actually more demand-led.  Therefore, because in an economy more money has
to be found for repayment by bank customers than has been loaned due to the
interest charged on the loans, so further loans have to be made by the banks
for this to be possible in the economy.  The system is thus demand-led, through
the demand for loans, with banks having to ensure that their “reserves” grow in
proportion to the growth of the money stock.  Much of the interest received by
banks is retained as these “reserves”. So, the whole process increases the
money supply several fold.

To emphasise the escalation of the money supply, in 1963, the UK money supply
stood at £14.1 billion, of which £3 billion was actual notes & coins (21%). By
1996, the total money supply in the UK was £680 billion, of which £25 billion
was notes and coins - just 3.6% of the total money stock (p-14, "The Grip of
Death", by Mike Rowbotham, 1998).

*2 I take issue here with the level of growth/price spiral inflation, and take
as given the fact that this is a tax on a resource which is widely variable in
value according to the level of economic activity in a given region independent
of the development value of the land (which is the case for extracting
betterment), and so, if one was to compare 2 houses of similar size in 2
different areas, one would owe much more than the other, so exerting pressure
in the former area to earn greater income to pay for the tax. LVT is a natural
equalisation tax, taking money from the richest parts of the UK (Cities of
London & Westminster account for 25% of UK land values!) and giving to the
poorest.

Meanwhile, due to the fact that the whole system is predicated upon continued
economic growth, it is perhaps not anymore susceptible to a financial crash
than any other systems of council tax.

Mark.S.Brown