Land rights and the climate camp

Simon Fairlie chapter7 at tlio.org.uk
Mon Aug 27 21:08:53 BST 2007

Its about time I replied to the message below from Tony, specifically
the statement that Climate Change is a long haul flight away
from Land Ownership and distribution.

The mission statement of TLIO is to "campaign peacefully for access
to the land, its resources, and the decision-making processes
affecting them, for everyone, irrespective of race, gender or age. ."

I have always understood that "the land and its resources" includes
the global commons (ie the sea, the atmosphere and the heavens). If
it doesn't. then they should be expressly included in the mission
statement, because the same issues of equitable access and enclosure
apply to the liquid and gaseous parts of our planet as apply to the
solid parts.

  In any case, land = biomass = renewable energy = carbon-neutral
atmosphere, so access to land means access to atmosphere.

The climate debate (and hence the camp) is directly relevant to TLIO
since it is about how limited resources are shared between people.
The aviation industry is particularly relevant since it involves one
small section of humanity collaring resources that currently, and
perhaps indefinitely, can't be made accessible to everybody.

  Tony is entitled to be a climate sceptic and hence to think that
the atmosphere, to all human intents and purposes, is limitless. It
is possible, though perhaps less than likely,  that 95 per cent of
the world's scientists have got it wrong. But even if you think that
global warming is a false alarm, that doesn't stop the climate debate
being a matter of equitable access to resources, since both the body
of opinion and the precautionary principle dictate that we should be
finding a way of sharing out access to atmosphere amongst everyone,
irrespective of race, gender or age.

Simon