The Great Outdoors -- Peak oil, energy descent... and camping!

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Sun Mar 8 19:49:41 GMT 2009

#! please forward to anyone you think would be interested !#

The Great Outdoors:
A practical approach to learning the skills of energy descent... outdoors!

New web site launches Monday 9th March -- http://www.fraw.org.uk/outdoors/

The Great Outdoors is a initiative by The Free Range Network and Paul Mobbs on
the simplest route that people have to learn how to reduce their consumption
and practice the skills required for a low impact lifestyle -- living
outdoors.

The Great Outdoors arose out of ideas developed from the Free Range Network's
Less is a Four Letter Word initiative. We had to solve the problem of
communicating the need for change encapsulated in the question, "in a world of
excess consumption and luxury, how do you develop a means of teaching people
to live simply?"

It's actually quite difficult to communicate these ideas because they represent
such a divergent view of the world from the view that dominates our lives
today -- that more is better. To find a suitable means to deliver this message
in a clear and unambiguous way we've had to be quite inventive in designing a
format to get these points across. After much deliberation we hit upon a quite
novel approach -- we go camping!

The focus of The Great Outdoors initiative is communicating the most basic of
skills that are essential to life -- cooking, making fire, heating water and
finding shelter -- so that we can rediscover our potential as 'human animals';
functional beings who can look after their own needs irrespective of what's
happening around them. What fifty years of consumerism has done for Britain is
de-skill its citizens; if we look at the practical skills possessed by our
grandparents or great grandparents, by comparison people today have only the
vaguest idea of how to manage without mains services and ready-prepared food.

It's not just that camping offers you a way to learn the skills of simple
living by living simply. Camping, or just relaxing on a long walk in the
countryside, encourages you to slow down, sit back, and operate at the speed
of the natural world rather than that of our 'technological society' -- and
this is a far more effective means of reducing energy use and carbon emissions
than any gadget that you can buy!

Whilst we might often use the term "simple" to describe this approach, when
say "simple" we do not mean easy or painless. What we mean is that, given the
various options available, for the average person today their quickest option
to explore what skills they have, what skills they lack, and finding a cheap
and easy means of addressing these problems is to practice camping -- perhaps
conventionally at first but then progressively decreasing the level of input
required to support themselves.

There are two sides to the process of transition to a lower energy way of
living:

Firstly, we need to reduce our physical demand for energy and resources. The
idea of "green consumption", "sustainable consumption" or the "green new deal"
is spurious -- present ideas of how we can "go green" whilst keeping our
present lifestyle and patterns of consumption are based on principles which
not only do not take into account the future problems with energy supply, but
purely in physical terms they are technologically unattainable. Instead we
must physically reduce consumption and that requires a real-terms change in
the way we live our lives. To make this transition we need to re-skill
ourselves to support our lives with our own physical "life energies" rather
than rely upon highly inefficient external energy sources.

Secondly, we need to change our psychological outlook on how we relate to our
lives (as they have been and as they might soon be), society and the natural
environment. That's actually quite difficult to do because in the UK we have no
comparable, low energy options to contrast our present lifestyles with. Even
the present offerings from most mainstream environmental and alternative
technology groups are based on the premise of maintaining our present
lifestyles, but we merely shift from fossil to non-fossil energy sources
(which, for a variety of reasons, is physically not possible). Understanding
this concept is difficult in a community hall or front room, but if you live
outdoors for a few days -- most importantly, you slow down and disconnect from
the large-scale consumption system -- these issues become more perceptible,
and hence manageable, so that we can understand how we might adapt our lives
and accommodate the changes required.

The most important message from the initiative is this -- We all must realise
a fundamental truth, which presently the mainstream environmental movement
fails to convey, despite the evidence to support it: You cannot consume your
way out of a crisis of consumption!

For the average person, pressured by work (or lack of work) and debt, the
simple and cheap option of "going camping" offers the best way to learn not
only the simple skills of self-reliance, but also to find the time, space and
quietness in order to envision a new way of living for themselves, their
family and their community.

There are presently three segments to The Great Outdoors initiative:

# The 'Great Outdoors' Sheets
A new series of ten sheets/handouts (three more will be added by June)
produced by the Free Range Network on issues related to camping and energy
descent. Although the aim of the sheets is to improve your outdoors skills,
the focus in the sheets in on the basic skills required to live in a way that
utilises less resources. You can find the sheets on the Free Range web site at
- -- http://www.fraw.org.uk/download/ebo/index.shtml#outdoors

# The Presentation
The presentation has been developed with Paul Mobbs (who presents it) and
provides the context for why these changes are necessary; in short, get
camping or else! The presentation outlines the current stresses in the global,
and the UK, energy system, and why energy production is going to be a critical
factor in the "recovery" from the present economic recession. It then outlines
why going camping is such an excellent physical and psychological tutor of the
skills for energy descent, and proposes some methods for how people can use
camping to extend their own skills for self-reliance. Details about the
presentation (which will be available on-line from around June onwards) can be
found on the Free Range web site at --
http://www.fraw.org.uk/outdoors/presentation/

# The Weekend Workshop
The experimental "weekend workshop", of which there were a few during 2008,
has been the platform where The Great Outdoors concept was developed. The Free
Range Network are now offering to assist in organising similar events in order
to help groups develop their outdoor skills. Details about the workshop can be
found on the Free Range web site at --
http://www.fraw.org.uk/outdoors/workshop/

Over the Summer of 2009 we hope to organise a few events to continue our work
on the 'Great Outdoors' theme. It is possible that we may also organise an
informal trek sometime in the Autumn. For details of these events see the Free
Range events page -- http://www.fraw.org.uk/events/

Finally, there is some outstanding in the work yet to be finalised and
published. This new material should be finalised by June 2009, and we'll make
it available via the web site.

For an introduction to the issues related to energy descent and peak oil/gas
see the Energy Beyond Oil Project's main web site --
http://www.fraw.org.uk/ebo/

For more information on the Free Range Great Outdoors initiative contact:
Paul Mobbs -- email mobbsey at gn.apc.org or phone 01295 261864.

Finally, Paul Mobbs and the Free Range Network would like to thank The Green
House in Llandeilo for their support in completing and publishing our 'Great
Outdoors' research.

- --

(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/ebo/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml