State and Local Government - Peter Latham

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 2 21:49:32 BST 2010

With apologies for cross / multiple posting - I tried sending this earlier
but it bounced from a number of lists, because the attachment, The State and
Local Government by Peter Latham, was too big. So instead I've uploaded it
and it can be found at the link below. As I mentioned in the 1st
attempt, this document although long has important info for anyone
interested to build a united front to challenge the corporate state in the
coming months, including a record of George Lansbury and the other Poplar
Councillors rebellions against Westminster public service and poor law
(benefits) cuts, illuminating and important chapters on the history and
present state of local government in the UK, an expose of the influential
New Local Government Network NLGN's new right agenda, likewise the move
towards directly elected local Mayors, plus summaries of the question of
land taxation and in particular an explanation on the tensions between
Marxist and Georgist thinking and a strong and supportive reference to the
Right to the City ideal and the seminal work of David Harvey. It also refers
to the writings of Paul Feldman of A World to Win and Dave Wetzel of the
Labour Land Campaign.

Here it is, please let me know if you can't access it and I will send it as
a Word Doc:
http://project2012.googlegroups.com/web/The_state_and_local_government%5B1%5D.doc?gsc=Lf0r2gsAAADNWqSpaOw-H4vFe5YHZRoC

Also, please see Ali's request for assistance over her work in securing some
kind of democratic ownership / accountability over the future of a cinema in
the Woking Guildford area - any assitance you can give her I am sure will be
most appreciated.

Cheers

Mark