[diggers350] Council Tax: a precedent is set, Bankers tricks

Dave S sly at mu-sly.co.uk
Fri May 28 08:22:06 BST 2010

Unfortunately, from what I read on the TPUC forums about a 9 months ago,
much of the posting you linked to is bunk.

For starters, a letter from a council - and even a magistrate's decision -
does not a legal precedent set. Only a judge can set a legal precedent as
far as I'm aware, though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Whatever
happened in this one guy's case doesn't make much difference to the rest of
us.

There is quite a lot of interesting stuff on that TPUC site, but I fear
there's also a lot of misleading twaddle, and it seems to take several days
research to be able to tell the difference due to the seeming lack of
quality control and the site's apparent love of overhyping all these
"revelations" in order to have things screaming from their homepage like
some kind of tabloid paper.

I also dislike the highly reactionary tone of just about everything that
gets posted there about immigrants - as in "blaming them for everything that
is wrong with the world" - it reads like the Daily Fail for goodness sake!

In fact, I stopped reading it for precisely that reason (although I do
occasionally pop back from time to time).

Cheers,

~Dave