[Diggers350] Re: Meat:

ilyan ilyan.thomas at virgin.net
Fri Oct 8 11:05:15 BST 2010

  Hi Tim,

It is not usually the livestock that creates the deserts.    It is man's
use of livestock, usually to feed a distant City.       Before they
become Necropolises, Megalopolises create deserts continents away.   I
do not remember if Mumford said that in "The Culture of Cities" writ
back in the 1930s.

You can see a different sort of desert being created on British hills.
There was a balanced system of sheep grazing that kept them covered with
grass and prevented them reverting to trees.    Farmers were subsidised
to keep cows on the hill.    Ignorant City people objected to paying so
much for those cows grazing so reduced the value of those subsidies,
and additionally required that all horses be registered.    It wasnt
worth the farmers keeping cows on the hill any longer and many gave up
keeping ponies on the hills,  lack of trampling is now allowing Bracken
to  spread at an alarming rate.   Once established, Bracken is very
efficient  at suppressing any other vegetation.

I do not know of any research showing a link between birth defects and
drinking bracken contaminated water.  It may become apparent in those
big English Cities that are stealing Welsh water.

It used to be that commoners had a cycle of burning patches of old
heather on the hills, I was told to promote regeneration of young
heather for the sheep to graze.    I do not see that any more.
Restrictions imposed make it not worth the bother.

Cities with more than 40,000 inhabitants should be eradicated, though it
is proably too late to prevent a City induced Mass Extinction.

Ilyan